Welcome to the THE H.A.M.B. forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   THE H.A.M.B. > General Discussion > The Hokey Ass Message Board

Old 06-21-2008, 08:21 AM   #41
publicenemy1925
Old School HAMBer

Default Re: The X-Sonic

I like the front, but the rear seems like a afterthought. It's to sad to think that he had to fight it on and off the trailer to get it in the hall with the wacky steering. I'm sure as a show car it won more points that way. My feelings are after the show circuit is over, how cool it would be to cruise it.
Old 06-21-2008, 09:16 AM   #42
ChuckleHead_Al

Wasn't MarkX going to make a clone????? I saw him chime in an earlier post??

BARONS
SO,TX
offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 03:11 PM   #43
Yaril
Alliance Member

dont know if its been mentioned, about the un-drivability because of the bobble top... i was looking through Rik Hovings site and found pics of it when Watson painted it, what i noticed is that by then the bobble top had been modified to allow air to come in straight from the front.

http://public.fotki.com/Rikster/11_c...onic-c-03.html

sorry if someone already mentioned this, thought id share.

Yaril
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 06-21-2008, 06:13 PM   #44
Sam F.
Old School HAMBer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moriarity View Post
I think the donor car (56 vette) may make a clone cost prohibitive, either that or it would cost too damned much money, It would be cool though, I wouldnt getting a shot at trying to buy the real one and restoring it though

someone could buy this vette in the classifieds and use it to make a clone

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...arket+corvette
Old 06-21-2008, 07:19 PM   #45
Elrod
Old School HAMBer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckleHead_Al View Post
Wasn't MarkX going to make a clone????? I saw him chime in an earlier post??
He was supposta be uh makin' one! Hurry Up MarkX!! The world needs another bubble!

Old 06-22-2008, 11:19 AM   #46
ThunderRocket

Nice Jason!

So that is what you did in Dublin.
1963 Skylark
1964 Chevrolet Pickup
Old 06-23-2008, 04:13 AM   #47
James66g

Wouldnt a good ac system be enough in the bubble? does anyone but Ed Roth know? I remember a green rod built that had a bubble top a while back and now there is that new red one with the ginormotron hemi in it I did see the green one cut the top off first like t tops and then all the way off total bummer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bokHxP6nHxc

the garage

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=429269
Old 06-23-2008, 08:02 AM   #48
Plowboy
Alliance Member

The x-sonic was pretty bitchin'! A clone was in the works by a HAMBer, but I think he needs to get busy on it! ha ha ha

I like the 60's era better because of the creativity involved with the cars. Well, that is until they started putting toilets and bunk beds on them. A nice 40's style rod is cool, but a lot of people who are into them are about as bad as the restorer types by pointing out that you didn't use the "correct" this or that. You put a row of nicely done trad cars together and by the time I examine the 3rd or 4th one, I am getting tired of looking at the same formula on all of them. Compared to a show rod, it doesn't take much more than money and e-bay to build a perfectly trad car with all the right parts. I can appreciate the guy who has scoured swap meets looking for this and that, but aside from how much money you have in the car the result is pretty much the same. You can get a little creative with a bracket or whatnot, but when it comes to suspension and body, the box of acceptable parameters is pretty small.

With the custom rod era the box is wide open, you can do whatever you want. That is great for those of us who like to buy cars that most would consider junk and turn them into something else. Give me a perfect body, a nice frame and all the right suspension parts and I am pretty sure I can slap together a trad rod in no time. I guess I like more of a challange than that.
online   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 08:04 AM   #49
Plowboy
Alliance Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by James66g View Post
Wouldnt a good ac system be enough in the bubble? does anyone but Ed Roth know? I remember a green rod built that had a bubble top a while back and now there is that new red one with the ginormotron hemi in it I did see the green one cut the top off first like t tops and then all the way off total bummer.
That is my car, yep good a/c is enough. My car is one where I sacrificed a little function though, it is pretty tight inside, but it is very driveable, unlike most of the ones that have been built.
Old 06-23-2008, 08:12 AM   #50
4t64rd
Old School HAMBer

Location: Pinellas County - the skin tag on the underside of America's wang, Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffreyJames View Post
Push button steering would take a shit load of engineering huh? Definitely creative but I am still not sure that I see evidence of form following function even on this car.
If the function was to be an over the top full custom car using every trick in the book on a CORVETTE, than the form follows the function perfectly.
Old 06-23-2008, 08:14 AM   #51
Ryan
Administrator

I think it's that drive ability factor that loses me a little on "custom rods". I've never seen a driveable bubble top... And if you can't drive them, I don't have much use for them.

To me though, they are just fun to look at and dream...

Ryan Cochran

"Skating the same line since 1976..."
.................................................. ....
www.jalopyjournal.com - www.garagejournal.com - www.gearjournal.com - www.fordbarn.com - www.DOGFIGHTmag.com
Old 06-23-2008, 08:19 AM   #52
Plowboy
Alliance Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
I think it's that drive ability factor that loses me a little on "custom rods". I've never seen a driveable bubble top... And if you can't drive them, I don't have much use for them.

To me though, they are just fun to look at and dream...
Come on up, the keys are in it........
Old 06-23-2008, 08:22 AM   #53
4t64rd
Old School HAMBer

Location: Pinellas County - the skin tag on the underside of America's wang, Florida

Why couldn't a video game controller be used to control the car? hydraulic rams and valves that controlled ike a Wii?
Old 06-23-2008, 08:28 AM   #54
Ryan
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plowboy View Post
Come on up, the keys are in it........
I don't think I could fit in that one man... I'm 6'3" and a portly 210lbs.

Ryan Cochran

www.jalopyjournal.com - www.garagejournal.com - www.gearjournal.com - www.fordbarn.com - www.DOGFIGHTmag.com
Old 06-23-2008, 08:30 AM   #55
Plowboy
Alliance Member

You could fit, you would just have to lean a little more to the right. Just pretend you are from Detroit. ha ha ha
Old 06-23-2008, 08:35 AM   #56
Ryan
Administrator

HAHAHA... You would rule if you would drag race that thing... Now that would be FUCKING cool.

Ryan Cochran

Old 06-23-2008, 08:36 AM   #57
mtlcutter
Grenade Inspector

I love this car. some of the mods toward the end were a bit much for my taste. But I would love to make a replica of the first edition. The black and fur interior killed the later versions for me....... Great post ryan!!!
Old 06-23-2008, 08:45 AM   #58
Plowboy
Alliance Member

Quote:
HAHAHA... You would rule if you would drag race that thing... Now that would be FUCKING cool.
I was going to take it to Salina and race the Titus brothers in their car, but I don't think I can afford it.

I will give you one thing though Ryan, the thing that really sucks about show rods is that sometimes you make them so nice that you are afraid to mess them up. The county just rocked my road last week so the bubbletop is staying in the garage. I didn't even take it to the local car show 4 miles from my house. The spacetruck made it because that thing is just a tired old road dog. I consider it a "showrod in training". ha ha ha
Old 06-23-2008, 08:53 AM   #59
Ryan
Administrator

Bring it to the HAMB Drags, make a 13 sec pass, and I'll pay for your hotel room and as much gas as I can afford.

The truck is still my favorite. I think it's because of the Robert Williams scene from last year at the drags. That so ruled...

Ryan Cochran

Old 06-23-2008, 09:22 AM   #60
Plowboy
Alliance Member

Quote:
Bring it to the HAMB Drags, make a 13 sec pass, and I'll pay for your hotel room and as much gas as I can afford.

The truck is still my favorite. I think it's because of the Robert Williams scene from last year at the drags. That so ruled...
I don't think the Atomic Punk will pass tech - I don't have seatbelts and I won't fit in there with a helmet. I don't think a lexan bubble will qualify as a "Roof". ha ha ha I would run it on the Highway by my house though, I already have. I don't have the speedo really calibrated and I don't know how fast I was going. The bubble has a little lift to it when you get going down the road, I have it pinned down but I am not sure how it would do at full speed. Maybe some of us will should get it out and get a you tube of it. There is already a video in existance of the first run with it where I was trying to get stupid with it, but Gordy hasn't got it put up yet. Somebody pick a weekend and we will do it.

Does someone have a calculator that would tell what a 400 horse Hemi with a Turbo 400 and a 3.70 gear should run? I think it raps out kinda high. I have been trying to take it easy on it since the motor is still getting broken in.

I have driven the car about 80 miles or so, not earth shattering by any means, but it is 80 miles more than most of them.

I guess the cat is out of the bag about Mark X. How is that car coming along, player????