Register now to get rid of these ads!

I need Help ASAP with a 1956 Buick Dyna flow...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by nailhead_brent, Apr 5, 2008.

1. nailhead_brent

nailhead_brent

I have my tranny up at my cousins shop and I can't find my shop manual for the Dyna flow...

The problem I am having is that I am at work, and he is about 60 miles from me, so even if I find it, it would be hard for me to get it to him...

The car is a 1956 Buick Special Station Wagon with a 322 Nailhead in it and a Dyna Flow automatic.

I need a copy of the transmission section in the Shop Manual, like a break down picture or something similar so he can get to work on this today...

If anyone can scan it out of there manual or help me out with some pictures, that would be greatly appreciated.

I can't find anything online and he wants to get this started so it will be done and back in the car by Paso Maria...

Thanks

Brent

2. the SCROUNGER

the SCROUNGER
    from USA

I had a '56 shop manual, but sold it on Ebay. If you need a good working Dynaflow trans, PM me- I have a complete Dynaflow from a 1963 Riviera I'd let go cheap- from a running car.

3. nailhead_brent

nailhead_brent

That is too bad.

The '56 Dyna Flow was a one year only and nothin' else will fit that car. Thanks though!

4. Horsepower67

Horsepower67

Didn't know the '56 Dynoflow was a one-year thing. So nothing from the '54 shop manual will help ya? I have that one on hand for my g/f's '54 Roadmaster.

5. nailhead_brent

nailhead_brent

Not sure about the internals, I know there is something with the tailshaft and such and a few other reasons it was a one year only, it is the same as the master cylinder on this car, it is one year only too...

6. Fr. Buick

Fr. Buick

Try www.buickclub.org.

Perhaps somebody there can help you. Sorry, I have Buick books only though 54.

7. MAW

MAW

My 1960 Motors manual covers the 1953-1960 Dynaflows, but show the 1955 model as the oddball. It shows '55 as a 1 year only model equipped with a variable pitch stator torque converter. The 56-60 models are essentially the same.

PM your email address me if you want the page by page pics taken, 20 or so in total.

Cheers, Mark

8. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

I believe that 55 is an odd ball year for DF for one reason, the variable pitch stator could be activated even in LO. I think the later years had a restrictor in the valve body to avoid the stator from changing in LO.

9. nailhead_brent

nailhead_brent

I will write it out and throw the break down of the dynaflows on here, Tony Rossi who is known to alot as the Buick Guru explained it in detail to me and '56 was the odd ball and was not like anything else...

But he gave me the break down of all the years.

10. the SCROUNGER

the SCROUNGER
    from USA

yep, it went to some guy in Australia and the dumb arse actually complained it, that manual is hard to find

11. BuickBorracho

BuickBorracho

Not quite ASAP, but perhaps this will help you or someone else looking for info.
    The entire shop manual is online for PDF download.

http://www.agentbudd.com/56Buick/index2.html

Click on "1956 Literature" >> "Mechanical" >> then click on the [​IMG] icon.

Hope that helps

12. nailhead_brent

nailhead_brent

That works Thank you!!

Man, that was a good find, Thanks for that link!

13. SakowskiMotors

SakowskiMotors

A guy at the shop has a running nailhead and just rebuilt with papers dynaflow for sale our of a 55 Buick, maybe a 56, can't remember.
    www.sakowskimotors.com
    310 978 9558

14. Jkustom

Jkustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey brent, you ever find what you needed??? Just so happens I have my shop manual right here... but no scanner...???