Register now to get rid of these ads!

3 speed OD and 12 volt conversion

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by SlmLrd, Feb 25, 2008.

1. SlmLrd

SlmLrd
    from DAGO

I converted my 52 to 12 volts and havent hooked up my Overdrive. I was wondering, what do I need to do to get my OD working on the 3 speed? I read in a search that I needed to switchh to a 12v solenoid and relay for it to work properly.

I went to a website posted here on the HAMB, where a guy rebuilds them to 12v, but that was over a week ago, and no phone reply or email reply.

Does anyone have parts numbers, or what should I look for in the way of parts? At this point Im kinda transmissionally challenged. Also a little bit of 6 to 12v, 3 speed OD behind a Flatty information is always welcomed.

Thanks!

2. SlmLrd

SlmLrd
    from DAGO

Hmm, Stupid question?:D

3. lakes modified

lakes modified
    Member Emeritus

I ran mine with an off & on switch, with the pull cable. You don't need all the relay's to run it manually.The solenoids can get spendy at times. A guy who runs ads in Hemmings wants $200 to fix one, which is way to much I think. I find them at swap meets for less than $40 sometimes.I would think a 6 volt could be run on 12, as the internal stuff should be heavier, but I have yet to try that.

4. R Pope

R Pope

I ran my Chev OD with a switch on the stick and a choke cable under the dash. The 6v solenoid is worth much more than a similar 12v one, don't give it away(or chuck it!). A resistor would make it live longer on 12v.

5. SlmLrd

SlmLrd
    from DAGO

Auto Swap this weekend here in San Diego. Ill have a look around and see if I can get a 12v one.

6. overspray

overspray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Solenoids from Studebakers (56 up) and newer Fords (56 up) and Chevrolets (55 up) with the same length shaft will work. To remove it take the 2 bolts out and turn it 1/4 turn counter clockwise and pull out gently. Measure yours or bring the solenoid to the swap. Some are marked 12V, some are not. Relays are marked 12V and Studebaker Ford and Chevrolet should work or you can use one of those small black Bosch relays from Radio Shack.

Some guys are running 6 volt solenoids on 12 volt with success. Take the cover off the solenoid and clean and gap the 2 sets of points and check the wires and connections. That little bit of maintainence usually makes them last longer.

http://www.1956goldenhawk.com/manuals/overdriv.pdf

http://www.classictruckshop.com/clubs/earlyburbs/projects/t85n/rebuild.htm

http://www.fifthaveinternetgarage.com/parts/parts_counter_3.html

http://www.vanpeltsales.com/FH_web/flathead_drawings_trans.htm

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=173331

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=134582

overspray

7. blueskies

blueskies
    from Idaho

I'm running a '55 Dodge Borg Warner OD in my '50 Plymouth, and 12v. I just replaced the solenoid and relay with 12v versions. Bought them from Neil Riddle [email protected] in Seattle. The 12v versions started in '56 I think, but not sure. You should be able to find yours in 12v too.

Pete

8. overspray

overspray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Plymouth and Dodge used the same T85 Borg Warner OD. Solenoids and relays will work frome these in 12V. just compare the length of the shaft/pawl on the solenoid.

9. SlmLrd

SlmLrd
    from DAGO

When the solenoid engages, does it stay out the whole time you are using it, or does it engage and retract? I figure if it just engages another gear, I can try and hook it to 12v.

I just dont want to burn anything up. Id rather spend the $ and do it the right way.

10. overspray

overspray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This link has pictures of how it works and descriptions.

http://www.classictruckshop.com/clubs/earlyburbs/projects/t85n/rebuild.htm

11. it stays energized until you cut the power. i have a car o/d trans in my '64 chevy panel. i used a toggle switch, a metal a/c cut off relay (standard ignition), a ford overdrive cable from c&g early ford parts and ran it to the solenoid (already 12v). i think if you use a kick down it will make the 6v solenoid last longer. also borg warner made most of the o/d units so i would think that the solenoids would interchange.

12. specialk

specialk

I'm just gonna hijack this since it's germane to the transmission (hope nobody minds)

Anyway, the operator/rebuild manual says to fill the OD unit with oil first (until it runs out of the filler) and then to fill the tranny itself (same instructions). So, the stupid question is: which is the filler? It's not marked out in any of the manuals I can find. Oh, and one other query, what gear oil should be used?

13. the plug near the tailshaft is the fill for the o/d unit and the one closer to the nose of the trans is the regular trans fill. the o/d manual i have says to use 40w motor oil in the trans/overdrive and to never use hypoid gear oil.

14. specialk

specialk

thanks very much. I found 40W (auto parts store, not wally world) and so grabbed 2 quarts - hopefully enough.

Guy behind the counter said that if I wanted 50w (recommended in the manual - yes I found it - for high temps and high workload. 105 in Dallas is high temp, but I'll see how this goes. Manual also mentioned 80W or 90W, but as you said, no hypoid.

It also mentioned in the article to not use EP (extreme pressure oils) as they could be corrosive and therefore damage the OD. The only EP I found was gear oil (which I'm pretty sure is hypoid, as mentioned before, against the rules)

Thanks, I'm looking forward to driving this in a couple of days - I'm guessing I'll have to shorten the driveshaft and I'm not sure if it's output yoke has the same spline count as my sag 3 spd.

15. If your 6V solenoid is working well, maybe a heavy duty dropper from Speedway ($30) would be the trick.

16. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

You want a GL-1 rated oil - I believe NAPA carries it. The EP additives in most hypoid oils are corrosive to "yellow metal" used in synchros...

17. specialk

specialk

<TABLE class=tborder id=post cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100&#37;" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD class=alt1 id=td_post_ style="BORDER-RIGHT: #999999 1px solid">Does anyone know the diameter of the input shaft on the T85 (the little bit that slides into the pilot bearing in the back of the block)?

Specifically, please tell me that it's the same size as the saginaw 3 speed -- please ;)

specialk

P.S. I'm engaged in the clutch but I can't get it all the way in. I used threaded rod for pilots and I know that it's running into the case (taking it out is very slow, 1/2 turn at a time with a vise grip attached to a screwdriver) but I'm hoping that the pilot bearing is not a different size. I remembering looking at both trans. yesterday when they were out, but I'm just scared that I might not have noticed a difference.
    </TD></TR><TR><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #999999 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: #999999 0px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #999999 1px solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: #999999 1px solid" width=150></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

18. specialk

specialk

One other addendum: the output of the transmission is a 16 spline, just like a pre-65 1/2 powerglide - in case anyone wants to know :)

19. 52 csb

52 csb

i"m with Rockabillybaseman 0N THIS DROP VOLTAGE TO SOLENOID AND use away PS For every mile of highway there is 2 miles of ditch later

20. Tiffany

Tiffany
    from seabrook

well you could just use everything having to do with the 6v od because is really doesnt matter 6 or 12v.it will all work fine.... try it and see.. sometimes we over think things hahaha

21. Tiffany

Tiffany
    from seabrook

ford or mercury anyways...