Register now to get rid of these ads!

Looking for "Lil Ebony" - 35 Ford pick-up

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bull, Jan 4, 2008.

1. Bull

Bull

I am trying to locate my uncle's old hot rod. My uncle, Denny Bateman, grew up in Minneapolis, Minnesota and had quite a few nice cars over the years. He still has his 34 Ford Tudor that was painted by Jon Kosmoski (HOK) with 30some coats of hand rubbed black lacquer long ago and his 63 Corvette that saw lots of street racer duty. I've been told he spent quite a bit of time at Twin City Dragways as well.

But the stories that stick with me are the ones he's told me about his 35 Ford pick-up called "Lil Ebony." I haven't seen pictures (don't even know if they exist even), but I was told that it had a hot 53 Merc flatty painted chrome yellow with 3/4 race cam, twin Strombergs on a Fenton manifold and Offenhauser heads. The truck was black with red & white candy striped tuck & roll interior and tonneau cover. It also had chromed torque tube exhaust running just under the bed rails. This is really all I know about the truck.

He sold Lil Ebony just before heading off to Vietnam, but pulled the engine and replaced it with a small block Chevy (I believe) before he let it go. I have the flatty and all the goodies sitting in my garage that he pulled before he sold the truck.

About 15 or so years ago my dad and I tracked down the truck. At that time it was owned by someone in Colorado. We made an offer, but they didn't want to part with the truck. I've since lost track of Lil Ebony and would like to find her again -- even if the current owner isn't willing to sell. I'd like to see some pics and learn some more history. Anyone have any leads?

Last edited: Jan 14, 2010
  2. Bull

Bull

I just found out it was last owned by someone in Montana . . . not Colorado. Anyone know anything about it? A long shot I know . . .

3. Bull

Bull

One more time . . .

4. Bull

Bull

OMG OMG OMG OMG! Can you tell I'm excited!?

Through a post I just happened to come across through an un-related search on the HAMB (http://www.jalopyjournal.com/<wbr>forum/showthread.php?t=406338)<wbr>, I found a pic of Lil Ebony! I have been dieing to see a picture of this truck since my uncle and my dad first told me stories about it when I was a young child.
    [​IMG]

Now I MUST find this truck! I have the flatty from it in the garage and it needs to be re-united with the truck!

kidcampbell71 likes this.

5. Evel

Evel
    1. 60s Show Rods

that thing is rad hope the powers of HAMB work out for you...

6. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Yeah, man that thing is awesome!!! I hope that you can find this thing a bring it back....then drive the shit out of it!

7. Thirdyfivepickup

Thirdyfivepickup

I'm a fan of 35 Ford pickups (hence my screen name) and cool family car stories. I hope this post helps get you connected with Lil Ebony.

Keep us posted! I'm sure someone knows something! They just need to see it!

8. Bull

Bull

Stories of this truck are what lit the fire for me all those years ago (25 or more years ago) when I first heard stories of it from my dad and uncle. To finally see a pic of it brings tears to my eyes as it was only a vision in my head before today.

9. paintcan54

paintcan54

Cool looking truck, I dig the WWs and the caps, hope you find the truck and have a shot at getting it. Best of luck.

10. Bull

Bull

Up for the morning crew. Hopefully with the picture it will make it easier for people to find info on the truck for me.

11. OLLIN

OLLIN

You said you already have the flatty to it? I have a buddy pulling a running merc 8cm and all the trans and drive train out of a 36..

at least the driveshaft etc would all be the right size, and save a little trouble. Let me know if you are interested.

Cool truck and good luck finding it!

12. Bull

Bull

Yes, I was lucky enough to be given the flatty and all the speed parts from this truck when I was in high school. My uncle had pulled it out and started on a SBC swap before he sold the truck just before going to Vietnam. I'd love to re-unite the flatty with its home. :)

13. Babar40

Babar40
    from Florida

The '35 was the Beauty Queen- hope your dream comes true!

14. bryan6902

bryan6902

Does the Name "Bill Befre" written in the lower right hand corner mean anything? Possible owner or just the photographer? I'm sure you've already run that lead down, but thought I'd mention it just in case you hadn't. Bryan

15. bryan6902

bryan6902

Sorry, lower left.

16. Bull

Bull

Bill Befre was the owner at the time this photo was taken. You can see his name listed as the owner on the show sign. I've done some Google searches on that name but haven't come up with anything yet. I'll be sitting down with my dad and my uncle over the weekend too hopefully.

17. Bull

Bull

I'm excited to sit down with my dad and my uncle tonight for dinner and hopefully get some more solid info of where to look for Lil Ebony. I'm on a mission now!

18. 41 Dave

41 Dave

Bull, Wishing you the best for your search to find "Lil Ebony". It really helps that you have the original flattie.

41 Dave

19. Bull

Bull

I had dinner with my dad and my uncle over the weekend. My uncle had no idea that a truck I had never seen, but heard so much about had such a profound effect on me. Wow . . . the stories just poured out!

The builder of the truck was Bill Gefre, not Befre as the photo says. Apparently my uncle knows Bill, he lives locally and is still around. Bill and "Peanuts" at N.E. Auto Body in Minneapolis did the work on the truck. Bill sold the truck to Steve Paulus. Steve used to take his wife to church in Lil Ebony on Sundays. My uncle worked at the service station just down the street from the church. Steve pulled into the service station one Sunday and asked my uncle if he could park the truck there so someone could keep an eye on it while he and his wife were at church. My uncle was a junior in high school at the time. Steve's wife was pregnant and he needed to sell Lil Ebony. My uncle stepped up right away and bought the truck. Steve and my uncle became good friends and still are to this day. My uncle drove the truck for a couple years and put it in storage before going to Vietnam -- just after he blew the flatty. He stored Lil Ebony in a garage in Minneapolis along with his 34 Ford Tudor (painted by Jon Kosmoski). In 1966 my aunt was pregnant and Lil Ebony had to go. My uncle pulled the flatty out and started to install a SBC. Before he got it running again the truck was sold in 1966 or 1967. The story gets a little fuzzy for me after that, but apparently the guy who bought it in 67 pulled the SBC and put a flathead back in it. It was then sold and ended up in Montana. My dad and I had tracked down the owner in Montana about 17-18 years ago. The truck had not changed and was just sitting in a barn. It got out to stretch its legs a couple times a year, but the owner had no plans of changing it or selling it even though we made him a good offer at the time. We told him we would love to buy the truck if he ever wanted to sell it and left our contact information. My dad and my uncle are currently looking through their stuff for contact info so we might be able to track Lil Ebony down again.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2010
    kidcampbell71 likes this.
  20. jmh

jmh

...so continues the saga of Lil Ebony..Hope you find and keep us posted as I am on the edge of my.....:eek: John:D

21. Bull

Bull

22. Good luck finding the truck. I have a 36 pickup with no idea of its history. Hopefully you will be re-united soon with it. Its a great looking truck.

23. Bull

Bull

chriseakin likes this.
  24. Bull

Bull

And this car looks like it could be the same car as the blue Buick, just repainted gold:
    [​IMG]

25. coney nelson

coney nelson

I worked with Bill and "Nuts" at NE. Auto Body from 1961 to 1967 and remember all the cars in question! Bill and I are still good friends, just older!! Peanuts, AKA Bruce Meyre lives in Houston Tx. If you have any questions, feel free to call or e-mail me anytime. Phone 763-494-8679. Thanks Coney.

26. Dat Dirty Rat

Dat Dirty Rat

Man, i really like the look of this....WOW

27. Chevy54

Chevy54
    from Orange, CA

Congrats on finding that..and to still have the motor..who woulda thought, rite??!!

28. wheelbilly

wheelbilly

that's rad Bull!

29. Bull

Bull

Now I just need to find the truck to go with it!

30. Bull

Bull

Thanks for the contact info Coney. I'll have to give you a ring soon. Maybe you know some of my uncles or my dad too? They're all car guys and grew up in Minneapolis -- The Bateman brothers -- Jim, Denny and Neil.