Register now to get rid of these ads!

Miracle Makeover - A Road to Revival

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Gaters, Jan 4, 2008.

1. Gaters

Gaters

I thought I'd share my car's history with a bit of family history intertwined. My car, a 1928 Ford Model A Roadster, was graciously given to me by my dad who purchased the car in 1964 for $500 from his cousin, Ray Pyle. Ray was a member of the car club the Gaters out of South Gate, CA. and raced the car at the SCTA El Mirage Dry Lakes racing events from the early 40's into the early 50's. I haven't figured out how this happened yet but the car plaque is spelled different than the actual car club name "Gaters". This is also a picture of my dad (Ken) and myself (Chris) when we brought the car out of mothballs after 25 years or so.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

At the time, the roadster was a typical driver during the week and a race car on the weekends. One story in particular takes Ray and his bride-to-be in the roadster to Yuma, AZ (about 280 miles) to get married. From what I understand Yuma, AZ was the Las Vegas of the day for same day weddings.

My dad has been around this roadster since he was a young teenager. Thanks to Don Montgomery's "Hot Rod's in the Forties" publication, I found a photo of my roadster at a 1947 El Mirage race event with my dad standing at the front hood and Ray behind the driver's seat.

[​IMG]

The Roadster
    I'll let many of the pictures tell a bit of the story but here is a break down of the car's assembly.

The motor:
    4-banger with a red-head Winfield
    Drilled for pressure
    Bronze timing gear
    Dual 97's

Transmission
    32 trans with Zephyer gears

[​IMG]

Tires and Rims
    16" bent spoke Kelsey-Hayes. These are the original Firestone on the front and Dunlops on the rear. The tubes still hold air can you believe it!
    [IMG]http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj277/tuck_the_shopdog/Roadster%20Images_1/Front-Kelsey.jpg

Front End
    The front end is a 2-1/2" 32 dropped axle with stock shocks, heated and reversed eyes on the spring to lower the car. This car was still running rear mechanical brakes only. For saftey sake, I am upgrading to hydraulics they'd have used during that time. Check out the drivers side spring perch. The portion of the spring perch where the mechanical brakes would have attached was in the way of the steering arm, so they just cut it of.
    [​IMG]

Rear End
    Doesn't get much more simple than this banjo rearend. They did remove some leaves from the rear spring to lower the rear. They also heated the rear spring eylettes. These sit right on top of the rear axle housings.
    [​IMG]

To work in the 32 trans with the model rear end, they had to put in a 32 cross member into an A frame. This was crudely welded into the frame.
    [​IMG]

This pushed the motor and trans 1" forward. This was to compensate for cutting the drive shaft and housing. From what I understand, cutting this type of drive shaft is not or was not an easy undertaking at the time. Instead they cut the front crosss member with a cutting torch and welded in two side motor mounts. This was also very crudely done but it worked for what they needed and could afford at the time.
    [​IMG]

They also used split wishbones. Check out the bend in the wishbone and the crudely torch cut brackets they made to hang then from the frame. They made it work on a tight budget and it was readyto race from weekend to weekend.
    [​IMG]
    http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj277/tuck_the_shopdog/Roadster Images_1/Wishbone-Bracket.jpg

The Steering
    I could use some help here. My dad doesn't know what steering box they used or the identity of the steering wheel. If you happen to know, drop me a PM or post a response. The only identifying mark is DOT B3550.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The Dash
    If you didn't notice in the last set of pictures. My roadster has an original full Auburn dash. I love the look of this dash in a roadster and I am fortunate it was never dismantled, sold or altered. Ray traded a motor he had in the raodster for this dash and a 2-port Riley Head.
    http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj277/tuck_the_shopdog/Roadster Images_1/Auburn-Dash-1.jpg

A couple of other features on the dash is a hand pump to pressurize the gas tank. Since they installed the Auburn dash, they had to cut out the original gas tank in the cowl. The gas tank was placed behind the front seat.
    [​IMG]

For those eagle eyed hot rodders, that is an SCTA plaque on the right hand side of the dash. It was awarded to Ray Pyle on June 12, 1949 at El Mirage for the speed of 115.97mph.
    [​IMG]

I was fortunate to have met Jack Underwood, who is a part of the SCTA. He has a great archive of SCTA stats and event programs. I was able to locate and take a picture of the July 1949 SCTA event program that had Ray's land speed record of the day for his class.
    [​IMG]

Here are other pictures of the roadster. It is a full fendered car as you will notice the pile of fenders, splash aprons and running boards.
    [​IMG]

Notice the tin cans on the floor board to keep out the wind and dirt while racing over 115 mph.
    [​IMG]

The chopped adjustable windshield post. This particular set is made of solid brass. According to my dad, these are aftermarket.
    [​IMG]

I don't know how old this is but it has to date back to the 1940's. Ray owned two gas stations in South Gate, CA. The mighty steed Pegasus that represents Mobil oil co. adorns the center of the windshield. I am not certain iof one of Ray's stations was Mobil. I am still researching some of this information.
    [​IMG]

Ok, the last little cool tid bit I found out about my car. As I was searchig the web for car parts, car forums, ect. I ran into these cool die cast Model A Roadsters called Origins of Speed, Highway 61. One of the die cast cars is similar to my roadster. It has the Kelsey-Hayes, Auburn dash, Four banger with a 2-port Riley head (which my car ran at one time, this is another story on it's history I will share later) and bomber seat. It also has a replica timing tag like the SCTA tag on my dash. So here it is the photo of the die cast car.
    [​IMG]

If you look to the left of the car, there is a small booklette called "The First Hod' Rods". After inspecting the car, I started to thumb through the small book and low and behold there is the picture of my roadster with my dad and Ray. I about fell out of my chair. The first call I made was to my dad. I had to let him know that the picture was a part of this collection of cars. This is the same picture I posted up top.

Anyway, as I begin to restore a bit of California racing history, more important to me is that I am trying to get the raodster running for my dad. He's helping when he can, as he has lost most of his eye sight to Glaucoma, suffered all his life from the effects of polio and is just plain getting to be an older man with a lot less energy. He is a great resource of car knowledge, an inspiration and a great support for me.

My initial restoration is to get the car safely running and on the road. I am in the midst of tearing it a part and cleaning 65+ years of dirt and grease off the car. Since the car has been garaged all these years, there is very little rust. At this point I cannot afford to hire out for any fabrication, body work, paint or upholstery. The car will go back together as it ran when Ray drove it at the races. This restoration will be to the best of my abilities and with the help of friends as they see fit. I am by no means destitute but as you may know, cars can take a back seat to everyday circumstances. Unfortunately, that is the postion I am in but I've decided to do what I can, when I can as quickly as I can. So put in a good word for me with the good Man upstairs.

Regards,

Chris

Here is a link to Miracle Makeover - Part 2

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?p=2488194#post2488194

2. JimSibley

JimSibley

Wow,super cool....

3. bcarlson

bcarlson

No kidding! Thanks for telling the story!

Ben

4. Omega

Omega
    from Mass

Wow...thats just AWESOME! so much history..and to think shes still together since the 30's.. thats just to fucking cool..

5. E Burfield

E Burfield

Way Too Cool! Good Luck With It.and Hurry Up And Get It Running So We Can See The Shit Ass Eaten Grin On Your Dads Face When He Gets The First Ride!!!!!!!!!!!

6. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

Thanks for sharing your dad's and your history, and that of the car with us.

I can only try to imagine how you feel holding onto such a piece of history.

Well done to your dad for keeping all that history in one place. A rare feat.

7. flatoz

flatoz

great to see. very cool.

8. Wow! That is amazing to be still in the family and still so intact.

9. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Wow, Chris - What a great story! Thanks for jumping out of the intro forum and telling us the whole story. It's a great story, indeed. Real dry lakes racing history, and you have your dad and the car still with you. You are blessed.

Malcolm

10. SUHRsc

SUHRsc

WOW,
    thank you very much for posting, great history and a great car
    good luck with the restoration
    i wish i was closer and could help you out with it

Zach

11. gahi

gahi
    from Moab, UT

Glad to hear your plans to preserve it, rather than modify it. Its a real piece of history.

12. Autoslim

Autoslim
    from texas

Great story and what a piece of hot rod history. We talk about how well folks on this forum "car craft, but I want to say that post was well crafted! I wish I was that well organized in thought. Great car and great post. Keep us posted.

13. fiat128

fiat128
    from El Paso TX

Thanks for posting that great bit of history for us. I'm glad to see that you are cleaning up the car and putting it back on the road as it was built.

Please post updates to this story as you make progress, it sure has my interest up.

PS: 115 MPH with the 4 banger is pretty impressive too. I can only imagine how that must have felt back in 1949!

14. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

That is very cool... glad to see you keeping the history alive...

15. breeder

breeder
    Member Emeritus

thats amazing! wow!:eek::cool:

16. NealinCA

NealinCA

Wow! Great story and car. I look forward to seeing this one on the road.

You are very lucky the car was kept in the family and mostly intact.

Thanks for sharing and keep us updated.

Neal

17. evil clown

evil clown
    from Verona, WI

That's an amazing piece of hot rod, and family, history! You're a lucky man to be the current caretaker. Preserve it well, and enjoy it as much as your Uncle and Dad did!

18. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

19. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Oh, your steering is almost certainly '32 Ford. Can fully ID with more pics. Wheel...perhaps Zephyr??

20. Ok all you CA guys and CA shop owners here is your chance to help out young guy and put another piece of hot rod history back on the road. Very cool thread and please keep us posted on restoration. Any help I can give just let me know.

21. wow !! great story and history ..

22. Big T

Big T
    from Florida

Awesome car and story. What a family legacy. Its great that you were able to find supporting documentation to tie it all together and that the car is still in your family. I never get tired of these types of stories. Keep us posted on the progress for sure.

23. Amazing story and even cooler lil roadster! Thanks!

24. Hans

Hans

Wow!

With so many posts on the HAMB about opinions, "what would you pay", blah, blah, blah...sometimes I forget the truly magnificent stories that are out there.

What an amazing documented history...and better yet, it's all in the family.

Enjoy your time with your Dad, and make some new history with that roadster!

25. eltiberius

eltiberius

Made my day...

26. Brewton

Brewton

Thanks for this post! I love to hear about the history of a car and its family! Not to many left today. Keep us posted on your progress!

27. Terry

Terry

God I love this stuff! Very Very cool, I only wish I was closer and could see it all in person.

28. The H.A.M.B. at it's finest! I hope the tin cans stay. I feel ucky for hearing that story and seeing those pics.

29. retro54

retro54
    from PA

So glad to see you preserving a piece of the past! That is one special car for all of us and doublely special for you thanks to the family connections... congradulations enjoy that jalopy this summer!

30. Searcher

Searcher

I'd be very carefull doing ANY restoration work on that car that changes it's appearance.

As it sits it's a excellent window into the past, so I'd do as little as possible to it.
    It has documentation and has been well stored since it's hay day...both are rare.

Welcome to the board