Register now to get rid of these ads!

My 1955 Chevrolet

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Dec 14, 2007.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

2. Tuxedo

Tuxedo

Great story... that's what it's all about. I actually laughed out loud with a tear in my eye. Thank you.

3. Rusty

Rusty

Sweet!!!!!!

4. You must have a hell of an old man. My dad has never understood my obsession with cars. Every time I brought something home, he's say things like...
    "What did you buy THAT for?" or
    "You'll NEVER get THAT on the road." or
    "Those weren't worth anything BRAND NEW." or
    "Why don't you do something worthwhile with your time?" or
    "What, do you think your EVEL KNIEVEL or something?"

nice. real nice.

Even after I finally got my Hudson on the road after 9 long years, my dad said "Well, it's certainly not much to look at, but I never thought you'd be able to get that pile to run."

ha.

5. ShakeyPuddin55

ShakeyPuddin55

That's too funny.

Instead of the kid sneaking off with his dad's car and spraying it... the dad does it with his son's car. Your dad rocks.:D

6. Slide

Slide

I'll be smiling for days thinking of this quote.

7. Louie S.

Louie S.

Awesome story, my dad bought me a 67 Camaro when I was 12 and we built it over a four year period. I loved that car my ex-wife talked me into selling it.:mad: The dipshit i sold it to totalled it three hours later.

8. Durod

Durod
    from DFW, Tx

great read, thanks for sharin' that one ryan...

9. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I was too embarrassed to include it in the story, but when I was younger I couldn't stand that straight axle. I wanted an IFS up front so I could get it really low. Thankfully, that never happened.

I sure wish I knew where that car was now. I'd give an arm and a leg for it.

10. My dad built me a go-cart.

11. rixrex

rixrex

55 Chevrolets should be everybodys first car, like learning how to fly a taildragger in the grass..My story is same same except the year is 1966..After looking at a 57 T-bird convertable and a Hudson Pickup, Dad and I decided on a 55 two-door sedan Handyman, no chrome and sealed in quarter glass, no handles..He turned me and a pal loose at my friends Dads working garage and we put a 327 and floor shifter innit..My Dad showed up with the 327 and we asked him where he got it, we snickered because the guy was a known midnight auto supply..and it was off to the races...

12. JamesG

JamesG

Cool man. My first was a '56 Chevy 2dr hardtop. I wish I had it back more than any other.

13. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

That's one of the main reasons I love this site Ryan. Father/Son stories always have a place with me and that one was one of the best. Your father must as proud of you as I you are of him. He seems like one of the best.

14. BigRed390

BigRed390

God i love this place! Great story!

15. Asphalt Outlaw Hero

Asphalt Outlaw Hero
    from Dixie

I remember my best friend in High School had a 1955 2 door Belair sedan.57 Motor,dual 4's and a Hurst 3 speed on the floor.I loved riding "shotgun "in it.
    1st thing I thought of when I saw the post!;)

16. Harms Way

Harms Way

It's funny, I never much cared for 55-57 Chevy's for a lot of years,...then I found this one for a buddy, did some work to it for him and drove it a little, this picture was taken just after I delivered it,.. I know "Tri-5's" take it on the chin a lot (still don't know why),.. but I just dug this car,.. now after seeing Ryan's 55,....... I am getting close to the "I gott'a have one" feeling,..... Great story,.... cool car
    [​IMG]

17. Hans

Hans

Reminds me of two stories for me.

I get off the school bus in 8th grade to find a '51Chebby PU in the driveway...for me!

A few years later, I am in the weight room at high school and my dad comes in with the local classified, '72 Skylark...just what I wanted.

He paid for them both...

Still have the '51.
    Thanks Dad I appreciate it and all you do and have done.

What a spoiled ass kid i was.

18. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

What a great story for a Friday. That really just made my day and brings a smile to my face. :) Thanks, Ryan!
    Do apples grow on Oaktrees in Texas? haha... that was dumb, I know.

Sounds like your dad is one hell of a cool guy.

Malcolm

19. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Cool story, My first car was a 55 ht also, bought it in 1972 when I was 12 for 40 bucks. sold it 10 years ago after about 3 different incarnations and 150000 miles, probably should have kept it and redone it 1 more time....

20. Hans

Hans

I love days when there are 2 JJ posts!

Thanks Ryan!!

21. Dooley

Dooley
    from Buffalo NY

That is a great story.
    The car looks like it was alot of fun, I would love to have it as is looks right there.

The best part was the evidence of the bond between your father and you.

I remember being about 13 years old and taking a ride with my pop to get gas at a local station in the 36. We filled up and were leaving the place when for some reason ole Dad decided to get on it, he had just build a smokin 327 with a wild cam 13:1 compression 202 heads, that type of stuff.
    I was in the front seat in my bathing suit and all I remember was this huge roar and the feeling like I was getting sucked to the rear of the car, and there was Dad with this grin, sideways trying to shift and steer, and I swear he pulled the front wheels of the ground, at least it seemed that he did. I was excited and scared at the same time.

About a month later he goes out, and I always came running to go with him when I heard the car start if I was in earshot. I aksed if I could go, and he said no, which was rare, so I sulked off.
    About an hour later I see the car float by the living room window, and run out to find it on a flatbed.
    He was racing a corvette and the rod cap came off the rod and down through the brand new cal custom oil pan and the rod went up into the block and head. Puked the whole thing.
    I remember watching him pull that motor out and laughing/swearing at the wreckage.

I have that oil pan hanging on the wall in my garage along with 7 of the pistons from that motor.
    I lost Dad 5 years ago to ALS but I have the car, and my memories and hopefully I can share some with my kids.
    Thanks for bring back some great memories.

22. klazurfer

klazurfer

The " I was around 14 or 15 years old and already heavy into racing in all kinds of forms " ..... Well , that was a statement a " bit over the top " wasnt it ? , Other than that . Cool story :)
    BTW :
    Would love to see some pix of the `55 with the Am-race Five-spokes .
    Klaz:)

23. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

Great story Ryan. Appreciating your Dad while he's still here and around as opposed to regretting saying nothing when its too late makes you a very wealthy man indeed.

24. JamesG

JamesG

When I got my '56, my Mom and Dad told me I had the choice of a new Chevy truck or an old car. I picked the old car. My Dad goes down to the railroad credit union, signed his life away and we headed to a lot that had a powder blue '55 Chevy 2dr sedan and a red and white '56 2dr hardtop. I wanted the '55 because it was year that my Mom was born. But that '56 was a hardtop.

Sorry Mom, I liked the open air feel when you had all four windows rolled down!

That was in '89. The car had a 396, auto tranny, disc brake kit up front, lowered with new paint and restored int. and a set of Champ 500's. My old man paint 6000.00 for that car. Damn that was cheap for finished '56.

Good Times.

25. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Maybe, but by 14 I had sat in the pits of 10 Indy 500s and won a kart race or two. By 15, I was a class winner at my local drag strip. Over the top or not, racing was my life. All thanks to dad.

I think I actually do have a shot or two with the Americans. I'll look.

26. JD's 32

JD's 32
    from TX

Ah, makes me miss my dad, i can remember me and him going to get me a car, my first was a 57 chevy, thanks Ryan this brings back some good memories.

27. joebuick

joebuick

thats a great story.
    its nice clicking with your old man on a level like that, one of the best feelings in the world is watching mine tear up when he takes my 63 out, he's just so damn proud of the work we did to it.

28. Great story.......thanks Ryan.

29. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

My first car was a white 55 chevy nothing comparable to yours but a 55 nontheless.
    I have been a 55 freak since I was about 7 or 8, I was 13 in 83 and we were out on a family venture (I always kept my eyes peeled for an affordable looking 55)
    when I saw a white 2 door sedan 55 sitting in front of a trailor in a gravel parking lot/driveway partialy covered in snow.It was sitting low in the back because of junk in the trunk and no motor or trans in the front.
    Dad drove on to our destination ,not stopping, but it was all I could think about the rest of the day.
    On our way back that evening we stopped and asked about it,the guy said he didnt realy want to sell it but since a kid wanted it, and he could use the money he would sell it to us............ 200$ bucks later and I couldnt have been any happier than if I had won the lottery.
    We went and got it the next day, hangin off the back end of Dads ole log truck because we couldnt get it all the way on because of the log bolsters.
    It was strapped down good but people must have thought we were NUTS because every now and then people would flash ther lights cause they thought we were losing the car:D
    Hell I guess we were but we were determined to get it home.
    That was probably the greatest/happiest moment in my life next to the birth of my children.........................Does that make me a car guy or just a damn Red Neck?:rolleyes:or both?:D:D:D

30. Awesome story, Ryan!

My dad was never really a car guy when I was growing up...he was more into horses and rodeo and what not, but at least he never discouraged me from the cars I really liked...

My first rig was an old '63 Econoline van...I liked them, but they weren't exactly everyone else's idea of ANYTHING in 1988...didn't matter to me, it's what I learned to drive. We traded it for a '61 Mercury Comet, then dad bought me a '74 Camaro out of the blue...and a '66 Dodge Polara 2dr Hardtop...I guess somewhere along the way he saw that I was more into cars than getting into trouble and a lot of other things my "crowd" was getting into.

Dad's 71 years old now, and seems to take interest in every old hulk I drag home...how weird is that, kid turns dad into car-guy?

He still can't understand why I want to yank the 216 out of the '49 chevy truck MY son traded me for this '64 Dodge 330 4dr...lol, guess I need to work on him with the "impractical=coolness" thing...then again, I kinda like the sound of those old half-dozens. My kid is a car-nut extreme, and can't stand the imports :D guess I didn't do TOO bad a job raising him...so far!

Thanks for the great post, Ryan...your dad sounds like a great guy!