Register now to get rid of these ads!

Diesel Hotrod

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by karskustoms, Nov 28, 2007.

1. karskustoms

karskustoms

What Does Everyone Think About A Diesel Hotrod?
    Comments, Pictures, Info
    Running Biodiesel Would Make The Hobby More Afordable

2. chaddilac

chaddilac

3. tjm73

tjm73

That about sums it up....

4. lrseclipse

lrseclipse
    from Dallas, TX

diesel? heard of a couple successful applications... but...

a bunch of people here are switching to Ethanol.... 105 octane from the pump for cheap...and you smell like popcorn everywhere you go! :D

5. karskustoms

karskustoms

it takes twice as much to run the same distance

6. karskustoms

karskustoms

how this for diesel power 1952 indy race car
    cummins raced diesels in the 30's too

Attached Files:

7. Well - as a man once said "one more 6 pack and that idea will start to make alot of sense"

8. I thought about a diesel in a early 60's pickup.
    Talked to my brother about this and now he's thinking about putting the rebuilt 6.2/OD in his 65 Chevrolet.

9. speedtool

speedtool
    BANNED

Audi just spent a couple years kicking everybody's ass in the ALMS sportcar series here in America, and overseas in road racing (including Le Mans) with a diesel racer. Nobody's laughing about diesel hot rods over there.

10. skincat

skincat
    from kokomo, in

i think cummins has a 4cylinder turbo diesel that was used in box trucks that would probably work. if fact i have seen them in jeeps. don't know if this helps

11. nexxussian

nexxussian

I always thought the 4 Cyl scummins was an 'industial' engine (ie. never sold by Cummins for a road going vehicle). I have seen articles where it has been adapted to road going vehicles (Jeeps mostly).
    I've always heard they were expensive (to buy or buy parts for).

If you want a small turbo diesel for relatively cheap, look for an older wrecked Isuzu NPR box van. It should have a 3.9L diesel with a T-25 turbo on it. It's not the prettiest, or the quietest (sounds kinda like a cross between a turbo diesel 4 and a model T 4), but it definetly drags our over 10K Lb rated (gota stop at the scales:() NPR down the road fine. Just make sure if you run in a warmer climate (I'm from Alaska) you add charge air cooling for this little beast. It runs great from October to April, but as the ambient temp rises, it loses it's punch. We got 18MPG best in it, but that's dragging something through the air that's as big as my garage door (for frontal area) and towing a trailer too.

12. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Its just not right, like 2 boys f**king.

13. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Here in S.E. Mich diesel is pretty pricey...$3.69/gal. How can that be more economical? Do you plan to get like 50mpg? Maybe an old VW Rabbit motor but that'd hardly be a hot rod. Am I missing something?

14. Oh yeah, my neighbor has a 58 powerwagon with a Izusu turbo-D.
    Its a 1 ton 4x4 with a 9 foot stepside, a huge beast.
    Runs like a champ, and he drives it all over.
    Last year on the way back from "Stray Kat 500", I passed him, way up in OK.

Now he is building a 4x4 59 Powerwagon with duals front and rear!
    It getting a Hemi though, no oil burner. ;)

15. farmboat

farmboat
    from Lucas, KY

I'm ready for a hot rod diesel! Think about some of the records at Bonneville.

16. Sinner

Sinner

Plus, you could convert it to run on veggie oil.

17. As in "Tire Fryer" ;)

18. karskustoms

karskustoms

Biodiesel .70 Cents A Gallon Out Of Your Own Shop
    Isn't That The Way This All Started Run Whatever's Cheapest

19. dorksrock

dorksrock

The Cummins 4bt was used in a lot of box vans, and was buit with a bolt pattern to match up to Chevy transmission, because this engine was often used to replace the worthless 6.5 turbo diesel when they wore out... good engines...

20. 62_Galaxie_500

62_Galaxie_500

I think the first diesel Indy car was in 1931. It was the first car ever to complete the race without a pit stop.

I really like the 1952 Cummin's Special. It even won the pole that year.

[​IMG]

21. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

I been thinkin Chopped fenderless old Kenworth with a build chromed out diesel

22. Some UPS and DHL type vans use a Cummins 4BT, which can be turned up to 400 ft-lbs of torque, or enough to turn a Model A frame into a steel pretzel. Guys have been putting these in Blazers and even with big tires and the HP cranked up, pulling 30 MPG with them. They're made with adapters to run Chevy-pattern auto trans (usually 4L80E in the trucks) or a manual that's sourced from Ford.

A diesel is most efficient on flat land at close to sea level, but drops like a rock on steep grades.

The other option is the 4BDIT Isuzu; one example in a K5 Blazer with a 5-speed OD trans, pulling 32 MPG highway and 24 in town. These engines are rated to have a service life of 310,000 miles and are smaller than the Cummins. I believe you need to use their trans with it.

The only issues with them are weight, they're heavier than the typical small block, and all are expensive and would just about require buying a truck to get the motor.

Now Diesel is around the same price as 93 octane on the average - here, now, around 3.59-3.69 a gallon. But if your gas motor gets 15 MPG and you put in one of these and get 30, the math isn't hard to figure out.

23. karskustoms

karskustoms

24. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

Don't know if hot rod applies but here is a cummings turbo 4 in a 49 Studebaker Pickup, on chevy 2wd pick up frame.

Attached Files:

25. Okay, since I work in an audi shop I have to share this video of the R10. Personally I think it's really neat vid, and how cool would a lightweight 3.5 liter twin turbo diesel be in a rod?!?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfS32l92MFs

26. CyaNide

CyaNide
    from Texas

My daily 5.9L Cummins is great and they last forever. Getting 20 - 21 mpg in a one ton truck is not bad at all. Put it in something that weighs less than half and the mpg's have to go way up.

CN