Register now to get rid of these ads!

Get on the Night T-rian... MY T BUILD

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by littlechris, Nov 18, 2007.

1. littlechris

littlechris
    from MILWAUKEE

Well, here it goes. The thread of my T build. it's 12:09 Am on a saturday night, A SATURDAY NIGHT! I should probably be out chasing Hussies, Throwing Up Night train, or handling midgets. but and I'm going to share my car instead.....

I have always loved building things, but when it came to this project, I never imagined how much I would learn about the detail that is involved with building a true hot rod.

Last March, I really had the bug to start building something awesome. I searched the classifieds and internet for a while for a body; something to actually get me started. I lended up picking up a 27 T Coupe off ebay, and Jonny and Todd helped bring it back up from Iowa.
    [​IMG]
    When I got it, someone had put a 200 ci L6 it it from falcon, a 47 front end, and a random mopar 8 1/4 rearend in it. It didn't run or drive, but it sure rolled nice. the body is in pretty good condition, the subframe is all there and was bolted to the molested model T frame. It had some really bad ladder bars made from water pipe and scrap metal stick welded together... there was more flux than weld.

I first started in about June disassembling the the car. The welded together front end was cut off, the Engine and axle got sold at Jefferson,.... It looked a whole lot better just sitting as a body.
    [​IMG]

I remembered an older club member who had past had an old chrsyler engine sitting in his hanger. I got ahold of his son who kindly sold it to me. I still don't know exactly what it is, but I do know its a small Poly Engine out of a 55'.

The frame I am building is based off of Bob's frames, with BLEED sweep, and a radical step. I First started off by asking him a million questions and built a crude framerail out of wood.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. BlueFalcon

BlueFalcon

3. littlechris

littlechris
    from MILWAUKEE

The frame is built from 2x4 inch tubing with a 3/16 wall. I first formed the rails, swept them, and stepped them.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I metal-finished all the welds so that the rails would be clean as a whistle. the rails were then taken out to Bobs shop where we put them on the frame table and tacked in the front crossmember and some temporary ones. As soon as I got it back to the Club, I didnt waste any time putting my body on it. It started to look like a car.

[​IMG]

I'm using a open-drive banjo out of a 47 ford pickup, and mounting the spring infront of the axle to save some room.

[​IMG]

I found my pinion angle and tacked on my spring mounts.

[​IMG]

At this point, I really needed to get this thing sitting where it is going to stand so I could weld in a rear crossmember. I welded in some re-enforcment conduit and channed the body 4 inches...

[​IMG]

The next step was to mock up the front end. To do so, I needed a dropped front axle... I've been working on an axle dropping jig for a few months now, getting alot of information from titus's post on the subject. I wrecked few A axels, but the 34 we dropped turned out awesome. In two nights, Bob, Cody, and I got dropped an axle, and mocked up my whole car. This was a milestone, getting me excited to build the fuck out of this car.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Nice job. Keep us posted on the project.

5. littlechris

littlechris
    from MILWAUKEE

I hate posting all these pics and then clicking the wrong button and everything is gone.

This weekend i've been working on my rear cross-member. I made a template, cut out the sides and welded on part of the top.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I ground the welds smooth and polished the areas with a d/a. Time for bed. Thanks for all the support, and thanks espesially to Bob Bleed and all my friends for the help so far. Its not even halfway there, but its been so much fun.

6. Rem

Rem

Very nice work on the chassis. Will the top of the rear crossmember be boxed out to the frame like the centre, or am I missing something?

7. pecker head

pecker head

You do nice work , rails are Cool , so is axel . Not to preach but your ears will work better when your old if you wear ear plugs while your still young .

8. iracer

iracer

Progress looks really good. Can't wait to see more pic's. Oh to my youth, I remember those days when staying up to 3:00am working on projects. Now when the baby is asleep I am not too far behind.

9. side_valve

side_valve
    Alliance Vendor

Great work Chris! Keep us updated.

10. Cris

Cris
    from Vermont

Outstanding. Your avatar is cool, too.

Cris

11. Bumpstick

Bumpstick

Excellent!!! I love the rear crossmember-stick

12. touchdowntodd

touchdowntodd

nice work lil chris, sorry i havent seen it yet, works been a BITCH... im kickin ya dead in the nuts if you paint over my signature oin the rear deck before you paint it!

13. Tin Can

Tin Can

Your project is looking cool. Diggin the rear crossmember

14. FRITZ

FRITZ
    BANNED

CHRIS!!!!!!!! Yo da man!!!!!!!
    This is what the HAMB is all about!!!!! Not old boats, O/T posts, bake offs, and other pussy shit. This build post kicks ASS!
    Love yer frame rails, the rear cross member is true art man! Posting all your pics is well worth the trouble, Keep 'em coming when ya have the time.
    FRITZ

15. littlechris

littlechris
    from MILWAUKEE

Thanks guys. I appreciate the feedback. Man, if I could work till 3 in the morning on it, I would. I havent finished the crossmember- the boxing will continue accross the top at a different width with more form.

Hey Todd, I did paint over the "is gay" right above your signature. hmm. But Mom says after you guys got devorced, and out of jail, you haven't touched a women since..

16. littlechris

littlechris
    from MILWAUKEE

Hell yea Fritz... Good old hotrod fun. Im going to ride minibikes now.

17. FRITZ

FRITZ
    BANNED

P.S.
    I think I'll always remember yer car as "Ol Sugartits" Also
    FRITZ

18. FRITZ

FRITZ
    BANNED

P.S.
    I think I'll always remember yer car as "Ol Sugartits" Also
    FRITZ

19. dv8

dv8

Cool! I love posts like this! Cool engine choice as well. You do very nice work.

We have to ride minibikes during a hot rod build as well....it keeps us from getting burned out! :)

20. Looking in my old ass Motor's Manual, and in '55 the Chrysler Windsor had a two barrel 301 V8. What does it say on the valve covers? Kisam has one from a '56, I think, and it has "Spitfire" on them. Too cool!

21. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

ol' sugartits is looking good...

22. bobbleed

bobbleed
    from Awesome

Get on the NIGHT TRAIN.....

This kid is talented as a BITCH. The car is going to be great.

23. damnfingers

damnfingers

Nice build...l love your work...looks great.

24. AHotRod

AHotRod

Keep it coming man ...... I want to see more.

25. littlechris

littlechris
    from MILWAUKEE

Awesome. I really appreciate the compliments on my work. Thanks for checking up on the motor Unclee! The numbers stamped on the block are D55I-89097. The valve covers have a red ram decal on them. I bought a pair of spitfire valvecovers at jefferson, but they turned out to be too long. I dotn know the cubic inches on this motor and I need to figure out what flywheel to run with a 3 speed..

26. BlueFalcon

BlueFalcon

i agree. sugartits needs to stick

27. fitzee

fitzee

Very nice work,keep the pics coming.

28. Sweet! What is the plan for the roof. Tall or chopped?

29. hrm2k

hrm2k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Great name " ol sugartits " it will always be known as such. The build looks great

30. littlechris

littlechris
    from MILWAUKEE

Everyone loves ol SugarTits. I guess its a faithfull ol name. The plan for the roof is about an 8 inch chop. Im about 6'1 and I was hitting my head on the roof of the T-Rantula. That thing took my hot-rod virginity.