Register now to get rid of these ads!

ol drag 55 t-bird?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by paperdog, Sep 21, 2007.

1. We made a appt. to see this 55 tbird advertised in the local paper
    it was described to us as a restoration started in 1976 that had not been touched until being removed from the building last week..complete and restorable.....:rolleyes:

it is was shown in a loose pile ...
    the one slick is shot the other side is still a roller
    some odd hand painting names on the deck lid
    the cowl/door posts.. one is gone the other barely there
    1 glass front right side fender 1 NOS stock 57 left frontfender
    asst. pieces in the trunk
    no floor- barely any rear fenders
    the engine froze
    all the chrome pieces we saw were rusted and tweaked

missing were skirts, hubcaps ,exhaust..
    and well we just tried and tried to figure a way to justify the price!
    clear title....
    o ya it was black originally!:eek:

it comes with a extra 57-58 312 bird engine with the good valve covers (very crusty aluminum)and exhaust manifolds..

$ five grand $

i believe its to far gone for us ...hmmmmm

what do guys think?

Attached Files:

2. 5 Grand....your kidding right?

I'd offer $50!

3. Harms Way

Harms Way

I think you should come take a look at the 57 in my barn,......

4. nope and he was dead firm on $$ and its restorablilty too..

i guess anything is possible ... just not by us..

sad i lost a nights sleep ... hopin and dreamin and then the tarp came off .....hah

5. we have a 57 bird now that we love so this one was gonna be a cutup sport racer/drag machine ..but noooooooooooooo

6. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Was that thing stored in the ocean?

Elcohaulic and chopped like this.
  7. Offer $3500.00- You could make a few $ parting it out at that price. it would take $40,000- 45,000 to 'bring it back" Mine started out equally as bad. Won't tell 'ya what I've got into it so far, except to say 3 yrs. and counting...

8. UnIOnViLLEHauNT

UnIOnViLLEHauNT

There is actually a 55-57 drag Bird around the corner from my house. Literally, go 3 houses down, make a right, 1 house, right, then 5 feet, left....that close.

Heres the kicker, old cat owns it, doesnt trust many people. I have never seen it, but he does have a few old cars outside his house (one formerly owned by my next door neighbor), one of them being a 54 Merc 4 dr. I think it has a 292 in there, 3 speed with OD, stock non OD rear, F1 truck springs...its a mile off the ground but the ride is supposedly very nice.

Now...back to the bird. It is supposed to have a 406 w/ tripower, conduit exhaust (like 3" or so) and a 4 speed. Hes been around old cars his whole life, but doesnt drive it because supposedly it was too fast and spooked him.

Definately on my priority list to see/take pics of. If I do Ill post em here.

Sorry for the hijack, we now join "Bullitt" already in progress...

9. accrding to the man .. it was this way when he got in 1976
    this bad at 20 years of age?
    stored on concrete indoors for the last 30
    coulda been with that okie belvedere by the looks of it

interesting it came from what i could consider my hometown area

10. Spooky

Spooky

Urgh....

I love those years of 'Bird, but wow.....
    But he obviously sees it as a "classic" and all.
    Seriously, I love these things and in kick ass condition they bring $25,000 on a regular basis.
    And those ROLL on their own power.
    The only excepetion to the rule is if the 'Bird is powered with a dual quad 312 or has the (drooooooooooooooooooooool) McCullough Supercharger option.
    I'll give ya a hug for the valve covers though...

11. metalshapes

metalshapes

Looks almost as far gone as the car I'm working on right now...:D

Attached Files:

12. That poor poor car

13. we have looked thru the inventory list hood ,deck, winshield ,chassis and so forth including the elusive pass. door mirror mount

but i don't get near that total unless the title is worth a couple grand itself .. its a early car no options ..
    man o man i'm a optimist about all cars too ????
    p/m me i can give the guys number to ya

14. i can't begin to guess what it is but you'll make silk purse of it i'm sure!

15. I wish I had a decent photo. I customer of mine bought a 57 bird on E-gay and said the owner said it was rough, turned out that was a true statement. it had been in a fire then rusted all to shit. no chance for restoration but much lighter than stock with all the rust holes.
    it's together and street leagle I like the Chev motor even

Attached Files:

16. huh
    the 55 really had its doors blown off..

noname.. thats a way better start for sure even with the sbc

17. 40chev

40chev

I wouldn't give that bird floor space..... some people don't realize there's a difference between a classic and a classic POS...I've looked at cars people were selling, the cars were old and thats it....

18. Bugman

Bugman

You're kidding, right? Our turnkeys average around $60,000, and they're fiberglass kit T-birds. A real steel one restored for $45K is a pretty good price...

19. petritl

petritl
    from Marion, TX

There is a 55 or 56 T-Bird in Chillicothe, IL at a small used car lot. The car has an incorrect 302ci engine in it but over all the car is decent looking. It has sat all summer with a $17,000.00 price tag. - Tad

20. Bugman

Bugman

Is it still there? If not, was it teal?

21. petritl

petritl
    from Marion, TX

It is red; the car was still there as of a week ago. I don't go by it very often, if you want the contact info I can get it from a friend of mine that lives in Chillicothe.-Tad

22. Harms Way

Harms Way

I gave what was left of this one to a friend the summer before last, I bought it for several parts, It to had been in a fire, then left outside to sit for a couple years in a storage lot,..... hard to believe but He recently said the frame and most of the body is done, but he is on the hunt for repairable doors.

Attached Files:

23. Wow if this is close to bein on the road maybe i'm too picky

Yes i believe that any car can be redone and if not parts are always needed by someone... money ,time ,ability, and a VISION

If this 55 bird pile were cheaper we'ed been haulin it home by now... i have been rethinkin the 312 engine ... he said he would sell it seperately .... hmmmmmm gonna go look at the t-bird catologs and do some pricing!.....:rolleyes:

24. old beet

old beet

That tailite is 1956...............OLDBEET

25. Henry Floored

Henry Floored

Is there no end to the sacrilage foisted upon the greatest car company in the world. This is like retouching a "Picasso" with Behr interior/exterior latex. What a damn shame.

26. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

@ 5 grand ... it is rough ... But ... it would be a decent candidate for a street/strip drag car. :) Way better to redo this one for a drag car than buying a good bit better one and cutting it up.

Just my nickel ...

27. fatty mcguire

fatty mcguire

its officially an antique

28. i think its a shame some a-hole let an at one time very cool t bird turn into the worthless rot box you guys had the pleasure of looking at today
    what a shame:( .

29. S'pose it all depends on how much labor you'd need to farm out-

Attached Files:

• 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      41.4 KB
      Views:
    • 7.jpg
      7.jpg
      File size:
      32 KB