Register now to get rid of these ads!

TECH: Roadster seat upholstery simple and easy

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Chris Casny, Mar 10, 2007.

1. Chris Casny

Chris Casny

Here is a little tech on cheap and easy upholstery.
    I did this for my Nash roadster. The fabric is a navy green colored tarp material that is sold here locally at OSH or the Army surplus store.
    This material is water proof and durable.
    Making the seat and backpart, keep in mind that the human body likes to sit at a 105 degree angle, or 15 degrees back from a 90. So before I cut my plywood substrate, fabricated all the necessary brakets, to achieve the desired back angle.
    I dont know how to use the sewing machine, so nothing is sewn here.

First I take some 1/2” plywood making sure it is nice and straight, CDX might be little to warped, I used baltic birch but shop birch ply works great too.
    I cut my shapes to my templates I made earlier from card board.

For the back rest I’m using 2” think fairly soft foam.
    After a test sitting, it felt like the back was still a little stiff, so I decided to use some webbing.
    DSCN1044.jpg
    The back plywood got two big holes were the driver and passengers backs would be located.
    The next step was to staple the webbing material to the substrate.
    That webbing has a name but it don’t remember, the same stuff that tiedown straps are made of, some sort of nylon stuff.
    DSCN1048.jpg
    All the webbing is wover, keep the webbing pretty tight since this material will stretch slightly over time.
    BTW, for all my stapling, I’m using a profesional Senco pneumatic gun, but a Stanley T-50 manual gun will work just as well.
    DSCN1053.jpg
    Glue the foam to the plywood using contact cement, I used an industial grade gun and glue set up, but 3M spray 77 or 90 will work just as well.
    Spay both surfaces and let dry, after a few minutes attach the foam to the substrate.
    DSCN1050.jpg
    Next, cut the foam to the desired shape, I used an electric bread knife.
    Shape or round over the edges using the bread knive and the clean it up with a die grinder.
    DSCN1052.jpg
    Next step is batting. Batting is a light cotton candy looking material to further shape the backrest.
    I glued the batting onto the foam using the contact cement, then folded over and stapled down on the back side.
    DSCN1056.jpg DSCN1059.jpg
    Cut of the excess batting with scissors.
    DSCN1060.jpg
    Next, I precut the navy green material. I did not glue it to the batting, so it’s removable, if I ever had to.
    DSCN1062.jpg [/ATTACH]
    Staple it to the back side, starting at the center, working your way left and right, go to the opposite side, repeat, leave the corners for last.
    Since I did not sew anything I had to put a fold in each corner.
    DSCN1068.jpg

Done, cheap easy and most impotantly comfortable.
    This is by no means a professional job but I like it, and it maybe cost me 100 bucks.

Some of the pictures arent the greatest and some are out of order.
    I hope you like.
    Is it tech week yet???

Attached Files:

2. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Damn... that looks great...

3. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

GREAT WORK!!!
    I used the army material to fill my top...Smells a little funny 'cause of the waterproofing chemical, has a "waxy" feel to it, but durable....and CHEAP!!!!
    A local tarp shop GAVE me the piece I needed as I only needed a small chunk and it doesn't sell well.......

4. Chris Casny

Chris Casny

Does it ever stop smelling. I worked all day with it and I kinda like the smell now.:D

5. 26TCoupe

26TCoupe

Great post, thanks for the info! Might just have to give that a try myself.

6. Rand Man

Rand Man

Nice work. I looked at your boat tail project. I like it.

7. brainfrz

brainfrz

Awesome job. Love the simple, resourceful style.

Jon

8. SPEEDBARRONS

SPEEDBARRONS

I did my roadster structure the same, except I skinned out an old leather couch, I was able to use the seams to my advantage

9. Chris Casny

Chris Casny

Thanks, man, I'm down with the simple stuff.

10. Anyone who was ever in the military knows that smell,,, brings back memories!! Nice work.

11. Hot diggity...!!!

JOE:cool:

12. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

I don't think it ever totally goes away, he he he....I have military 6x6 seats in my PU that are worn and weathered.....they still have a very faint scent....it just ADDS to the driving experience! hahaha!!!

13. vein

vein

wow! more great tips awesome!

14. Chris Casny

Chris Casny

15. AHotRod

AHotRod

Damn, you did a great job.....many, MANY THANKS for taking all the time to post the pictures and write the Tech.

16. Chris Casny

Chris Casny

I shamelessly put my upholstery entry back into rotation, I hope I will be concidered, since I only posted it a couple of hours before Oldcarmike's, incredible, upholstery thread.

17. Kustm52

Kustm52

Man, thanks for the info, I was just about to build a new seat for the roadster, this was just what I needed. I might add, search ebay for 'canvas' or 'duck' material, I just got 10 yards of it shipped for $34.. and there are several colors available. You can also get foam and batting cheap too...

18. scofflaw

scofflaw
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Ohio

Nice Job, I'll [FONT=&quot]definitely be able to use the info for the seat fab. in my 33[/FONT]

19. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

No reason for anyone to sit on a milkcrate any longer. Great tech. Thanks for sharing:cool:

20. creesto

creesto
    from Ohio

Speed Nazi, that's a frikkin brilliant idea. I'm always eyeing discards and your idea never occurred to me. Gonna throw some shears in the trunk!:D

21. Looks great Dreadman! Can't wait for a ride!

22. OLLIN

OLLIN

How about some shots of the "brackets". How did you attach the seat to the car?

23. Looks great in your car and affordable! Thanks for sharing. When you drive somewhere no one should have to ask you what you drove, they will be able to smell it on you!!!!!!!!!:cool:

24. Chris Casny

Chris Casny

It acctually does not smell bad at all, I just think of it, as a "vintage" smell.

25. Degreaser

Degreaser

That's cool. I WILL be ripping you off.

26. indyjps

indyjps

When I was in the military we had some tents that dated back to the Korean War, we used them several times a year and they still smelled the same. looks like the same material.

27. pecker head

pecker head

Great post ! I hate to bother you . After seeing your
    post I decided it was time to build my seats . I'm building buckets , the queston is on the bottom plywood do I just drill holes in bottom ? I plan on using straps on back just like you did . I should have frame finished late tomorro . I scored 1/2 inch plywood out of scrap at work today , My buddy has staple gun . Please pm me on bottom , because I was going to use straps on it . If it's not needed let me know . Hey I would have never started this project if it wasn't for your post . The seats are for 28 coupe , any way thanks .

28. JohnnyFastTruck

JohnnyFastTruck

That's what's so great about the H.A.M.B.! Some people make it look so easy too! Thanks for taking the time to share your work!

29. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

The odor in mil canvas and most other canvas is parafine. It is a waxy substance that is mixed hot with something that will evaporate, like alcohol and sprayed on the canvas, to rejuvinate it. i guess its sprayed on hot while its manfactured. The tech is great. many yrs ago when i was rebuilding a airplane, I knew i wanted black upholstery, so i started looking in the junk yards for back seats. found what i wanted, owner said take it. i used a razor knife and got perfect material for the seat.

30. eddie_zapien

eddie_zapien

That looks awesome! Great job