Welcome to the THE H.A.M.B. forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   THE H.A.M.B. > General Discussion > The Hokey Ass Message Board

Old 02-07-2007, 08:07 PM   #1
Lucky77
Alliance Member

Default Guide 903 J headlamps

I picked up a set of Guide headlamps a little while ago. They have 903 J stamped on the label on top. They're painted black with stainless trim rings. What cars came equiped with these? The guy restored Model A's but I don't think that's where they're from.

Scott Sheehan
Nightmares C.C.
offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 08:28 PM   #2
Tom C

Default Re: Guide 903 J headlamps

I bought a stock model a a couple a few months ago and it had 903J's on it. I figured they were stock.
Roadster body
Old 02-08-2007, 06:24 AM   #3
abonecoupe31

They're not an original Model A headlight...They're aftermarket replacements.

Savvy drivers, even back then, used the hottest things for their cars. The sealed beam headlight conversion is one of these innovations.

I've got a set of 903 J Guide lamps in 'da collection. I got them 29 years ago at a swap meet. They were a replacement set of headlights for early cars, like Model A's and Chevy's. But mine have a flexible conduit for the headlight wiring just like the Model A's have.

The sealed beam, as we know it, first came out in 1940. It made seeing ahead a lot easier. The original reflectors with the silvered surface weren't much. Especially after the reflector got tarnished.

Adapters were made to fit a Sealed beam into the original headlight "bucket". And manufacturors like Guide division of General Motors made lamps like the 903 J.

Today we have aftermarket Sealed beams that take a H-3 Halogen bulb insert. I'll probably fit a pair of these to one of my Model A's.

Those Big ugly Guides and B-L-C's (withthe marker lights) we used to throw away when we were restoring Model A's...and replacing them with stock buckets. Now you need a week's pay to buy a pair on E Bay...
Old 02-08-2007, 08:56 AM   #4
Lucky77
Alliance Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by abonecoupe31
They're not an original Model A headlight...They're aftermarket replacements.

Savvy drivers, even back then, used the hottest things for their cars. The sealed beam headlight conversion is one of these innovations.

I've got a set of 903 J Guide lamps in 'da collection. I got them 29 years ago at a swap meet. They were a replacement set of headlights for early cars, like Model A's and Chevy's. But mine have a flexible conduit for the headlight wiring just like the Model A's have.

The sealed beam, as we know it, first came out in 1940. It made seeing ahead a lot easier. The original reflectors with the silvered surface weren't much. Especially after the reflector got tarnished.

Adapters were made to fit a Sealed beam into the original headlight "bucket". And manufacturors like Guide division of General Motors made lamps like the 903 J.

Today we have aftermarket Sealed beams that take a H-3 Halogen bulb insert. I'll probably fit a pair of these to one of my Model A's.

Those Big ugly Guides and B-L-C's (withthe marker lights) we used to throw away when we were restoring Model A's...and replacing them with stock buckets. Now you need a week's pay to buy a pair on E Bay...
Well thanks for the info, now I know what I have.

Scott Sheehan
Nightmares C.C.
Old 02-08-2007, 05:29 PM   #5
de-fenders
Grenade Inspector

I heard somewhere that the 903 j's were used on snowplows. Greg
Old 10-19-2008, 02:07 AM   #6
LEMMING249
Grenade Inspector

Many Guide lights were used on commercial rigs I think. Mide had extra long mounting studs when I found them.
The OTB aftermarket replacement polished bezels and retainers fit pretty well. I have a pair for my Model A.