Register now to get rid of these ads!
  1. NEW JALOPY JOURNAL & H.A.M.B. MERCH!
    Hey fellas, we've just re-stocked the store with a couple of great new t-shirts, an incredible jersey, and just about the best damned ball cap ever made. Put it all in your wardrobe and you'll be the sharpest dressed man in the pits - that's a promise!

Anyway, to check it all out just CLICK HERE!

(To get rid of this notification, just click the little grey 'x' located in the top right hand corner of this notification box.)

Guide 903 J headlamps

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Lucky77, Feb 7, 2007.

1. Lucky77

Lucky77

I picked up a set of Guide headlamps a little while ago. They have 903 J stamped on the label on top. They're painted black with stainless trim rings. What cars came equiped with these? The guy restored Model A's but I don't think that's where they're from.

2. Tom C

Tom C

I bought a stock model a a couple a few months ago and it had 903J's on it. I figured they were stock.
    [​IMG]

3. abonecoupe31

abonecoupe31
    from Michigan

They're not an original Model A headlight...They're aftermarket replacements.

Savvy drivers, even back then, used the hottest things for their cars. The sealed beam headlight conversion is one of these innovations.

I've got a set of 903 J Guide lamps in 'da collection. I got them 29 years ago at a swap meet. They were a replacement set of headlights for early cars, like Model A's and Chevy's. But mine have a flexible conduit for the headlight wiring just like the Model A's have.

The sealed beam, as we know it, first came out in 1940. It made seeing ahead a lot easier. The original reflectors with the silvered surface weren't much. Especially after the reflector got tarnished.

Adapters were made to fit a Sealed beam into the original headlight "bucket". And manufacturors like Guide division of General Motors made lamps like the 903 J.

Today we have aftermarket Sealed beams that take a H-3 Halogen bulb insert. I'll probably fit a pair of these to one of my Model A's.

Those Big ugly Guides and B-L-C's (withthe marker lights) we used to throw away when we were restoring Model A's...and replacing them with stock buckets. Now you need a week's pay to buy a pair on E Bay...

4. Lucky77

Lucky77

Well thanks for the info, now I know what I have.:)

Register now to get rid of these ads!

5. de-fenders

de-fenders

I heard somewhere that the 903 j's were used on snowplows. Greg

6. LEMMING249

LEMMING249

Many Guide lights were used on commercial rigs I think. Mide had extra long mounting studs when I found them.
    The OTB aftermarket replacement polished bezels and retainers fit pretty well. I have a pair for my Model A.