Register now to get rid of these ads!

2.0/2.3 ford

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by zimm, Dec 3, 2006.

1. zimm

zimm
    from iowa

this might be o/t?
    but i know theres a few here in hamb land
    what kind of hop up /dress up parts are are out there? i have found a few things
    any pics?

Last edited: Feb 22, 2010
  2. Clark

Clark

Not aftermarket but what you can do at home.
    Clark

Attached Files:

3. I just posted this on another board (TurboFord) because I was asked if that thing in front of the throttle body is nuclear.

Thanks,
    Kurt

Attached Files:

4. zimm

zimm
    from iowa

where did u get that cam cover?

5. Frank

Frank

There are a lot of speed parts out there. More for the 2.0 than the 2.3. The 2.0 was quite popular with the Formula Ford crowd and still is. I just sold a 2.0 to a guy putting one in a Model A. He said the 2.3 had a different oil filter that made it difficult to fit in the frame, but that a lot of guys use the 2.0 in Model A's when they give up finding a good A block. Racer Walsh is one company that comes to mind. They made 2 barrel and 4 barrel Offy intakes. Side draft intakes are popular as well. Headers, cams, and all sorts of stuff out there.

I have a 71 Capri with the 2.0 with a Hooker header on it.

6. Clark

Clark

The valve cover is actually for an overhead conversion for a banger motor. Larry found an original and had a few copies cast.
    Clark

7. 40 & 61 Fords

40 & 61 Fords

I had a 88 Ford Ranger PU with the 2.0. It was in the super stripped model. I believe that's the only model that came with the "Pinto 4cyl"
    I ran it 150,000 miles with the only trouble being a bad headgasket at @100k. I was late teens/early 20's when I had it in a lowrider, so it was drove hard.
    I put a nice chrome valve cover on it that came from Ford Motorsport. I know Offenhauser made a 4 barrel intake, and Clifford made headers, as I always dreamed of hot rodding that motor.

8. scarylarry

scarylarry

Photos of it a little more together.

Attached Files:

9. Roorda

Roorda
    from Pella IA.

my brother had one in a ranger two barrel header ran hard liked the topside as i recall he was playing with the timing and burned a hole in the piston it responded well to the increase in timing just not long for this world when you run the piss out of it that high in timing
    still have that turbo if you are intersted

10. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

now that is very refreshing, thank you!

11. Stick Shift

Stick Shift
    from LENA IL

I got an edelbrock two carb intake for my 2.0. I need to find the carbs now. My 2.0 has a finned valve cover that I am not sure who made. It is nice and plain looking.

12. zimm

zimm
    from iowa

ya im looking for a finned valve cover??

13. El Caballo

El Caballo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sorry to hijack, but, Clark what is the story on the Jimmy in the pic?

14. j-dogg

j-dogg

Ford Motorsport made finned valve covers, Esslinger has good shit too.

15. zimm

zimm
    from iowa

what carbs goes on this intake ? any picks

16. wow, i'm kinda surprised to see more guys going with this powerplant. i'm gonna be runnin' a 2.3 in my underslung. keep the pics and tech coming!

ncg

17. Wyle E Coyote

Wyle E Coyote

I am so relieved to find I'm not the only crazy person in this place,(I actually knew there where a lot of them, that's why I'm here) but I'm planning a 2.3 Turbo in my 32 Rockne. I've already got the donor car in the driveway, an 88 TurboCoupe with a 5 speed. Keep the pics coming, I know these motors can be made to look good. BTW I should be able to make 375-400 real world HP with this lightweight and still be able to cruise with around 30mpg or better. Imagine a sub 2000 pound car with this much power, it should be a blast to drive. Esslinger makes a lot of good stuff for these motors.

18. Barn-core

Barn-core

I'm running a 2.3 in my T-bucket. The turbo cars came with an aluminum valve cover, which is what I plan on using. I'm going to grind off all the Ford, turbo, 2.3 crap on the top of it, and have it polished.

19. zimm

zimm
    from iowa

i went to tech school w/ a guy that had a tubro cope runnign 20 psi and a motorsport cam and 200k mi botom end, then the stock tubro went so he rebuilt it w/ speedpro pistons t3/t4 hybrid tubro and 2 home made meathane (winshseild washer fluid) injectors wow it ran hard

thanks for all the info guys

20. zimm

zimm
    from iowa

21. Stick Shift

Stick Shift
    from LENA IL

No pics tonight, I will see about tomorrow. I have a buddy who ran one years ago. He said he ran some old ford carbs.

22. Junkyard Jan

Junkyard Jan
    Member Emeritus

Along with the 300 6, the 2.3 (german designed)and the 2.0 (British) are two of Ford's best mills ever built .Along with Esslinger, Racer Walsh makes a bunch of go fast goodies for these little guys. Either are THE motors to beat in any kind of 4 cyl. circle tracking and both love to rev! Guess I'll have to find a body to stuff one of these lil' turkey's in. Henry J, mebbe, or a'50s Willys sedan?....:)

Jan

23. Yankeyspeed

Yankeyspeed

Wow, I am so glad I not the only with a 2.3 turbo going in a little car. I heard a rumar that you could get 300hp from them, and I did not think it possible with some serious parts. Man, there is nothing whipping up on V8s with a 4 banger. :D

24. Roach25681

Roach25681
    from Calhoun GA

These are great little motors. Easy to get 300hp out of. Most of the companies that make parts have already been mentioned, but if you go to www.TurboFord.org there are quite a few folks who make parts in their spare time. I could talk all day about the potential of a 2.3T

25. tjm73

tjm73

You can make 300 crank hp with a totally stock 2.3 Turbo and a little knowledge for less than $150-200 bucks. It's actually almost too easy to do. I have an issue if MM&FF (that's Muscle Mustangs & Fast Fords for those not inthe know) where they did a series of article about hopping up the little mean machine. Eye opening.

The nice thing about the 2.3 is it's bottom end. It's Main-Rod-Main-Rod-Main-Rod-Main-Rod-Main. Will take 7000+ all day, everyday, forever. Ford Racing made a 2.3 race block in the early 90's that was identical to the OEM block except it had more material at the fire deck for sustained super high boost pressures. From an engineering standpoint it is one of Ford's best engines.

26. steevil

steevil

http://www.esslingeracing.com/merch...een=PROD&Product_Code=E2311&Category_Code=PUL

The Esslinger valve cover is $129.00. The Turbo 2.3 cover is aluminum ribbed but has Ford cast into it.

http://www.lakeheaders.com/FordHeaders.html

A Hamber makes headers for the 2.3.

http://racerwalsh.zoovy.com/category/4cylinder.induction/

Racer Walsh make s bunch of cool stuff but it is spendy!

My stocker 2.3 pictured below. Was an EFI mill that is converted to Carb.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    It's kinda homely right now , I'm working on cleaning it up.

27. Here's my 2.0 72 Pinto, with a 4spd. Twin 40mm solex carbs. It had a Holley 2 barrel, ran good with that. The other one is a twin carb Edelbrock, uses two Holley 1 barrels. I also have a 4barrel manifold too. Dean

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 3, 2010
  28. I am planning on using the 2.3 in my T coupe. Has anybody done anything interesting with the motor mounts?

29. Wyle E Coyote

Wyle E Coyote

Mine will get a bit of head porting, pistons, SB Shevy rods, cam, custom intake and header and a Holset turbo that can make up to 30 pounds of boost. This should easily produce 400hp or more. The idea of building it light with all this power is what turned me on to these engines. I've ridden in original Tcoupes that could go 140mph in stock trim at 3800 pounds, imagine one on steroids at almost half that weight... Weeeeeeee!
    I realize this isn't really a traditional mill but I'll try to make it look the part and the car surely will be.

30. hammeredabone

hammeredabone

These are cool engines, whats the best donor car/truck to look for?
    I want to put one in my 29 pick up.