Register now to get rid of these ads!

Modified Murray update. Chop part 2 and mock ups

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by scootermcrad, Nov 11, 2006.

1. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Been pretty busy with life in general lately, but have been slowly picking at this thing. Got the door tops back on, cut the roof sections to length, did some mock ups for the rear and a bunch of other stuff I'll spare you the details on. Lots of pics though, so give me a few posts to get you up to speed...

Okay, first the door tops and some of the things I encountered...
    NOTE: Most of the welds have not been finished yet. Mostly tacked good and solid.

[​IMG]

Added a piece to the front to fill the void. Did this on both sides...
    [​IMG]

Overall view before adding the piece to the front of the door
    [​IMG]

Drivers side overall view
    [​IMG]

More to come... hold on...

2. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Roof stuff... posted on the gaps awhile ago between the door headers and how to correct the problem. Have a solution, but you'll have to wait to find out. Here's what it looks like cut to length and mocked up...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

You can see the gaps in the pics above... Have a simple solution to the problem, but I won't even try to describe it to you. I'll just do it and show you next update...

Mock up of the rear end setup coming up!

3. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Okay, now the fun stuff! Got some 40 Ford bells form RF to get the mock up going for the rear suspension. I bolted the bells together to the correct width. Will have a Winters quick change center section in there if I can get my Triumph sold and the rear sent out for mods.

Here's the preliminary mock ups...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next I cut out part of the lower rear to get the crossmember further into the body and closer to it's resting place... (YIKES!)
    [​IMG]

Now here it is with things back in place...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The axle will pretty much stay where it's at, but the crossmember still needs to go into the body about an inch or a little more. More sheet metal will have to be cut away to clear the spring travel and suspension components. Lower panels will be fabbed with vertical slots for the yoke and drive shaft as well as the suspension linkage. The stock spring mounts won't be used because the don't locate the spring where I want it. New ones will be fabbed if the off the shelf brackets won't get the job done.

It's coming along, but still TONS more work to do (obviously).

Next step.... I need to reinforce the body inside to get it ready for the channel job, do some serious designs for the frame to figure out if I need to move the rear crossmember up and fab up some door header supports to replace the flimsy ones in there. After that... well.... everything!

I'll keep you guys posted...

Cheers!

Scooter

OH YEAH... check out my Triumph for sale in my sig. line. I need to sell it so I can keep pushing along with the parts.

4. dirthawker1313

dirthawker1313

scooter you suck... J/K lookin good

5. Mule Farmer

Mule Farmer
    from Holland MI

6. It's about time you got off your lazy ass and did something besides draw pictures all day!:D

Looks great, Scoot. I like the way you mocked up the rear axle with the spacers, pretty clever. The recessed crossmember is cool, too. I'll be keeping an eye out for updates.

P.S. What are those gears?

7. Yo Baby

Yo Baby

Man you've got way too many of those magnets.;)
    Seriously though,I like the bod mods and stance,but I don't get the recessed spring crossmember thing.
    So.....why the recessed crossmember thing?

8. Nice work. I had a briggs body a little while back and this makes me wish I still had it.

I have that same welder, 210 right?

9. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Bean rules! Let me know when you want to do that engine swap!

10. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ah yes... the gears. The axle in the mock up is a little small, so it will be replaced with one that will house those diff. gear. ;) J/K! :D Actually, they're my little helpers when it comes to locating things in mock ups. They're heavy and grab well because of the teeth. They're timing gears from a HUGE Waukasha (sp?) 6-cylinder industrial engine (about the size of a VW bug).

Yes, finally getting off my bum and doing something other than draw! That's exactly what I've been doing actually. I do side work for a company in town and it seems like all my free time has gone to them. The little extra coinage always helps out though.

11. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Okay, here's the low-down on the crossmember. I didn't want the axle too far back. I thought the tire placement would look strange, more like it was supposed to have a bed on it. Plus I'm trying to keep the wheel base down a little bit and get the engine closer to "front-middle" of the car. Every little inch helps. In order for the axle to clear the crossmember without moving the crossmember back (the losing good wheel placement) I have to move the crossmember forward and sort of "french" it (for lack of a better term) into the rear. It won't be hidden. You'll still see it, but it will allow the spring to be located where it needs to be. It's going to be a little tricky with all the other components having to fit in there somewhere too. I want to keep the shocks OUTSIDE the body though. I'm using NOS military knee-action shocks that will mount right to that Model A crossmember. Probably on top, like I've shown here:
    [​IMG]

12. ratstar

ratstar

Looks damn good as usual scott. I'm envying you still. Dont be a pussy and sell the triumph. Just go make more money! Then you can have your cake and eat it too! Serious.

Looks really good though. And familiar for some reason that I cant put my finger on.

13. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It's a DVI. Basically the same welder, just will also run off of a wall outlet for lighter stuff. I LOVE it so far!!! Really nice!!

Did you ever get that Brit. chop sold you were trying to sell on the JJ? That thing was NICE!!

14. mazdaslam

mazdaslam

Ok..why cant I see the pictures in this thread???I see pics in all the other threads.WTF???:confused: HELP:eek:

15. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

HAA!! Familiar my A$$! ;) (lots of stress put on the word ass)

Yeah, the bike still has to go. Too many toys and I have to buy a house this summer. Once I have a house I can pack it full of stuff and not have to keep moving stuff! Moving sucks and if this build has to keep getting moved, it's going to get all screwed up!

Thank for the nice words everyone! :D

16. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Are you on AOL or something? Sounds like your browser. This happens to me at work sometimes because of the browser and internet enviornment that we use.

17. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Cool project - I like it.
    Keep the updates coming!

Malcolm

18. mazdaslam

mazdaslam

Nope,no AOL here.This is the first time this has happened.I can read all of your text and then there is just open space where the pics would be.

19. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hmmm... pics are posted using Photobucket if that helps solve the mystery.

Is anyone else having this problem?

20. ratstar

ratstar

21. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

?? What chu' talkin' about Willis?

22. junkyardgenius

junkyardgenius
    from Kernow

I,ve got the worlds slowest computer and I can see the pictures ok.Looking good Scooter , keep us posted on the progress.:)

23. blue collar guy

blue collar guy

I like it. What are you doing about a fuel tank? Is it going out back or in the car? What engine are you running? Scott

24. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

SCOTT! The man! Good to see you at the BBQ! :D

I'm going to run a Mooneyes spun aluminum out back just below the rear window. Still looking around for other alternatives for a cylindrical tank, but so far I think that's going to have the look I want.

Going to run a Chrysler 331 Firepower bored .120 over, nice "lopey" street cam, Edelbrock or Weiand Drag Star (if I can find one!) with 6 Holley 94's, and a T56 bolted up to the butt of all that.

25. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Here's the tank... (for those who aren't familiar, if anyone)
    [​IMG]

26. mazdaslam

mazdaslam

I can see the tank!! ...Oh well,I'm sure your progress looks good.

27. Wesley

Wesley

Now that is what a shop is supposed to look like, so many parts and tools that you have to move stuff outside so you can work on the project inside. LOL. Cool stuff, keep hammering away and keep the pics coming.

28. roosters hot rods

roosters hot rods

nice metal work............rooster

29. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That is absolutely NO JOKE my friend! The amount of stuff I have to move every time I work is REDICULOUS!!! It takes me about 45-minutes just to get setup to work and another hour just to put it all back and clean up. You can NEVER have too big of a garage and the unfortunate dillema that all rodders seem to have is that everytime we get a bigger garage, we just find it a reason to buy MORE stuff! :eek: :rolleyes:

30. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've got A LOT to learn about metal work! I've definitely learned a lot on this build. I find that staring at stuff longer helps keep the mistakes down with the metal work. Not proud of some of the stuff I've done though. I'm too anal to leave the mistakes though, so hopefully it's all "correct" in the end... Couldn't do it without this place though!