Register now to get rid of these ads!

Gargae Crawl: Tom Hanna

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by sodas38, Jul 19, 2006.

1. sodas38

sodas38

I have the privledge of visiting with a Hot Rod legend the other day, Tom Hanna. His shop is located in Wichita, KS behind his day to day business "Rose America". I had heard through a HAMB member "speedway" that he was working on a new project which he was helping on in his spare time. I stopped by a couple months back to see the shop, but I didn't take any pictures and Tom wasn't there at the time. So I decided to go back and see the progress. This time I met Tom and was also able to take some pictures. If you want to learn more about Tom's past try these sites:
    http://www.wediditforlove.com/Hanna.html
    http://www.nitrogeezers.com/CBL- Rebuild 1.htm
    http://www.metalshapers.org/nitrogeezers/Hanna Complete.htm

What you'll see in the pictures below is that he is working dilligently on a hot rod that he will race in Bonneville. I believe the team (Tom Hanna, Tim Carver, Charlie Timmons, Steve Bahm and others) is shooting for a land speed record. This hot rod should see speeds in excess of 500 miles an hour.

I was also able to see the "most expensive dragster ever built" which was based on the dragster surfers II. Very cool, but i only managed a shot of it under wraps. Some of the other neat stuff included a custom built english wheel specifically for the Bonneville car, tons of rediculous shop goodies, a project 59 Ranchero, and a european concept car.

More on the 59 Ranchero, he has taken a Porsche 928 and sliced off the body and he is fixing the 1959 Ford Ranchero to the substructure. Very cool project, he said he wants to use it as a "sleeper" daily driver. Incidentally he plans to leave it in its original color from the factory, so there will be a patina finish to it. This should be very cool. I hope you enjoy!!!
    Here is the body:
    [​IMG]

Here is the Porsche substructure waiting for the body to be plopped on:
    [​IMG]

Here is the Bonneville concept drawings:
    [​IMG]

Here is the english wheel:
    [​IMG]

Shots of the bonneville car and the shop:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here is a shot of "the most expensive dragster ever built" under wraps:
    [​IMG]

Here is the european concept car. The first shot is a concept drawing and the second one is a full scale clay mock up. This car never made it to production. I believe Tom had the intentions of doing a small produciton run of this car. This would have been back in the late 80's early 90's during the sports car rage:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Wow!

That must have been neat to be there!

Sam.

3. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Boy, what a privelage to get to see his shop. I've been in awe of Hanna since he was doing those swoopy dragster bodies in the 60's. What an awesome english wheel, I've never seen one done with round tubing like that. It looks like he has a powered wheel adjustment on the top wheel instead of the bottom like you see most often.

Frank

4. Roothawg

Roothawg

5. brandon

brandon

the dragster is something that has to be seen in person .....it is the trickest dragster i have ever laid eyes on .....the first time i saw it at bowling green in 03 ....i saw a couple things.....ended up going back to it 4 different times.....and something new was discovered every time......the 3 piece chassis....the coil over front ....the almost seamless front suspension ....just waaaay to trick ......as cool with the body as it is with out .......brandon

Attached Files:

6. attitudor

attitudor
    from Finland

Impressive, thanks for sharing.

7. lolife

lolife

One thing that surprises me, is he always looks like he's 40. Never gets old.

Thanks for the pics and tour! What a craftsman.

8. oldandkrusty

oldandkrusty

The sheetmetal work on the Bonneville car is outrageous!!! What a treat it must have been for you to visit one of the legends and to see the stuff he is, and was, working on. More pics if you have them - PLEASE!

9. sodas38

sodas38

He is using thicker sheet metal on the Bonneville car than he normally uses. He said it has taken him longer, because the thicker gauge aluminum does not respond the same as the thinner gauge sheet he has used for his dragsters. In fact it does the exact opposite of what you would think it woul do. He has resorted to using go-cart wheels on his english wheel, never seen that before. The craftsmanship is second to none here. The best I've ever seen. Everything is fabbed in the shop there.

He was saying that the traction out on the salt is comparable to metal train wheels on metal train rails. Then you also have to contend with the wind resistance. Getting the car up to speed is the toughest thing. He is looking to have the car out to Bonneville in 2007.

10. stan292

stan292

Gang -

Here are a few detail shots of the digger mentioned here. There's no question that this is the finest-quality dragster ever produced - and perhaps the highest quality example of hot rod building ever (look very closely at these photos before you scoff).

Hanna's craftsmanship and ability to pre-conceive and produce exquisite parts and systems is almost beyond comprehension. When I first saw this car, I couldn't believe my eyes! I bet I studied it for about an hour - then went back later and did the same thing.

I'm sorry I lack the computer skills to send these photos in a larger format, but if you are interested in a better look, give me your e-mail address and I'll be happy to forward them at full size.

Check the front suspension set-up. Cool beyond belief. Take special note of the various (grey) mounting plates. I don't know if these were cast, or done on a CNC machine - but they are spectacular, to say the least. Also, note the "super-rare" Donovan injectors. Only 2 or 3 of these were ever made.

Sorry I don't have a pic of the entire car - with it's superbly fashioned body in place. Maybe someone else can post that.

Enjoy.

Attached Files:

11. NoSurf

NoSurf

12. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

13. stan292

stan292

14. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

15. sodas38

sodas38

He is a very nice guy and loves to talk about metalshaping. It's amazing what one can pick up just in a 20 minute conversation with him. I wish I had enough time to spend just a day or two a week in that shop. I'm sure I'd learn a ton and not just form him but the others that work there as well.

16. Roadsters.com

Roadsters.com

Very neat thread. Thanks for this.

[​IMG]

This picture was taken by Marc Gewertz shortly after the car's debut.

These pages show the car during and after its construction:
    http://www.wediditforlove.com/Hanna.html
    http://www.wediditforlove.com/Hanna-CHRR.html

Several years ago, after seeing the two pages above, I started a thread on here about it, titled "The Most Beautiful Dragster in History".

Tom makes some other perfectionists look lazy and sloppy, some other artists look uninspired, and some other visionaries seem closed-minded.

I consider Tom Hanna to be the ultimate hot rodder. He can do it all, he's done it all, and he's still doing it; his way.

Hot rodding's Rembrandt.

Dave
    http://www.roadsters.com/

17. MikeRodless

MikeRodless

18. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

He is truely one of a kind. His talents seem to defy words. Wonderful, and thanks for the sharing and updates.

19. HemiRambler

HemiRambler

While just embarking on the build of my dragster & having never undertaken a project of this magnitude I was definitely in over my head. While asking every Hot rodder I knew 20 questions one of them said to me that I REALLY ought to be talking with "Hanna" - I, of course, laughed and said, "the chances of me ever talking with the legend himself was slim to none!!" This guy laughs and says here's his number just call him - tell him I sent ya!" I was flabergasted!!! When I did get ahold of him (out of respect) I wanted to keep my conversation as SHORT as possible as to minimize the annoyance from a perfect stranger (me). But THIS was NOT gonna be the case Tom engaged me - asked a bunch of questions about my project I of course asked even more jotting down notes as we spoke. Then he says "here's my cell phone call me anytime!" I was and still am totally in amazement - not only for his skills (which are truely endless) but his total people skills. He is way beyond "good people" People like Tom Hanna are what makes drag racing awesome. The guy can walk away from the sport for years and then come back and stand the establishment on their ears!!!! No small feat with the talent out there today. But they're no match for him - and how many "legends" have you met that were actually BIGGER than their hype???? Me - none - not until "meeting " Hanna anyways. They just don't make people like Hanna anymore - he's influenced me for life - I will forever admire his skill AND his personality. They really ought to put his picture in the dictionary under "Class Act"

The guy's simply amazing.......