Register now to get rid of these ads!

Finally finished the wooden boat!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tinbender, Jun 25, 2006.

1. Off topic, I know, but It's going to get towed behind my hot rod:rolleyes:

This is the first project of it's type I've ever done. It's far from perfect, but looks great at 10 feet. I learned a ton, and got to spend some real good time with my dad. It's 10 feet long, powered by a 20 hp merc. Should be fun!

Attached Files:

2. Gerg

Gerg

looks pretty bad ass to me. Now paint it flat black and paint the wheels on the trailer red :)

3. Ichoptop

Ichoptop

4. Flatattack

Flatattack

That's gorgeous. What's a 20hp Merc - is that a V8-60 Mercury engine?:D

Put a marinised flatty in it mate. I'm sure you could shoehorn it in there somehow. And don't forget the bias ply WWW for the purists!

5. 41 C28

41 C28

Looks great! Would like to see a picture of it and the tow vehicle when you get it done.

6. wayfarer

wayfarer

That is absolutely beautiful eric, should look good behind the stude.

7. jalopyshots

jalopyshots

that is sweet. did you use plans? if so where did you get them and what model is it called if any. I love wooden speed boats. I may build one.

8. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Building/ rebuilding a boat - a somewhat costly undertaking. Getting to spend time with your father - Priceless. Sure looks good and will look even better behind a hot rod. Well done!!

Frank

9. Lucky Strike

Lucky Strike

I dig that boat! What plans did you use? Where can I get them. I'm dreaming of building a boat like that.

10. retro54

retro54
    from PA

Hey, i have looked at plans for that boat I think! haha.., looks very good, although if it's the plans I am thinking about, I was considering on making the deck canvas to cut down on weight... wonder if it would work.... anyways, looks amazing... congrats!

this week, i'm getting started on restoring a 1952 Lynman for pulling behind my chevy...
    my father and I have a large collection of outboards to power it once done... cars and boats together are a lot of fun!

11. hillbillyhell

hillbillyhell

Very, ,very cool!.But that's like the third wooden boat thread in two months........

Wooden boats - the new red wheels? :D

12. Wild Turkey

Wild Turkey

You're fogiven if you'll stripe or flame the trailer:rolleyes:

Good looking project!:cool:

13. Mule Farmer

Mule Farmer
    from Holland MI

14. Thanks guys! We started with a frame kit and plans from Glen-L This boat is called the Squrit. If you build one, go bigger. 10 foot of boat isn't enough!
    This was good practice. A buddy gave me ALL the hardwear for a V-drive inboard.
    But that will be a while, gotta get some of the other shit in the background of the pictures done now that the boat is going to be out of the way!

15. FWilliams

FWilliams

16. MidnightTrain

MidnightTrain
    from North Ga

speaking from a woodworkers point of view...and one that has a passion for strip-planked boats it's gorgeous...

when i was younger i alwas thought the pinnacal of being a carpenter was building my own Strip-planked boat...nothing big...just about that size actually 10'-12' ft..

i looked forever and everytjhing was too big.I even said i'd try to just save w S.P. boat checked the wooden boat rescue for months....everything wayyy to big..30'-50 footers...

*Edit...never mind i found the kit,i love it

(i do agree a little flathead would be cool:cool: congrats on that peice of art,man)

17. Rand Man

Rand Man

18. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That is just ART, I love wooden boats. I had one when I was younger and living at home, kinda rough but I was restoring it. Left for the Army before I finished it and when I got to come home on leave just over a year latter my father had cut it up and burnt it!!

19. Squablow

Squablow

Boats are gonna be the next big thing in hotrodding. I've got my eye on this one. There's just something about it...

Attached Files:

20. glassguyOC

glassguyOC
    from O.C.

very very very cool.

21. zibo

zibo
    from dago ca

I have a couple v8-60's waitin for their boat too. cool TP

22. CheatersPete

CheatersPete

23. 61 Fairlane

61 Fairlane

Great job! Go get yourself a beer. It looks like a scaled down Crackerbox with and outboard, which I guess wouldnt make it a Crackerbox:D I love the lines of the boat.

24. Roothawg

Roothawg

25. 327-365hp

327-365hp
    from Mass

Great job! Old boats are more work than old cars. Here's one that needs a cool tow car..
    [​IMG]

26. Greaseballs

Greaseballs

Old boats are WAY more work than old cars. I used to lived on my 1960 Chris Craft Constellation. I swear that thing took a complete tain forest full of Mahoganey trees to build. I breathed sawdust and varnish for years when I owned that thing. But the fun factor was alllll worth it!

I built my own boat once as well. You have an excellent accomplishment! Well done!

27. specialk

specialk

Wooden boats give me wood. Very nice.

28. Freaking gorgeous!! I have a Glen L "Super Spartan" set of plans waiting to get going. Its a 14' Picklefork and will be running a V8-60 or possibly a Cosworth Vega. Nice job!!

29. Zumo

Zumo

I was telling my wife the other day I wanted a small boat from the 60's. Which ones did they put a marine Ford 302 in?