Register now to get rid of these ads!

Moal Tour Photos

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Matt Franklin, Jun 17, 2006.

1. I was lucky enough to tour Moal Coachbuilders back in March. Here are some of the photos. I have reduced the resolution, but still have the 800k-1MB original jpgs. If anyone wants to get the low resolution ones all at once, I can fit them all into a 3MB email. I also have a few videos of the Small Block Chevy (yes, SBC) with Weslake heads with the thing running, revving, and smoking off the spilled oil.

From what I remember, the very red channeled '32 belongs to a local Harley dealer. The mid 50s Ford with the tube-chassis belongs to Tim Allen. And the Weslake-powered Duece belongs to the inventor of the Weed-Whacker. There was an overwhelming amount of information there, so I apologize if I've forgotten some of the details.

There was also one with a complete custom cast replica of an old indy car front suspension.

Steve Moal and his son were very approachable, humble guys. It was a great time. It was organized by the local NorCal chapter of SAE.

Attached Files:

2. Images 4142-4147 have that custom cast replica indy suspension design.

Attached Files:

3. And again...

Attached Files:

4. here are some more...

Attached Files:

5. more

Attached Files:

6. Then we crossed the street and took a look at their shop and another storage garage. More cool stuff.

Attached Files:

7. In the photos at the bottom, they were copying a vintage sports car, red #62. It was covered mostly with duct tape to protect it while they test fit e-wheeled pieces to copy the body. I think the name of the car started with a "O." I wish I could remember. It was rare with only a few produced. Something like "Oslo," but that wasn't it. They used the transfer bridge, not for making the e-wheeled parts, but rather for registering dimensions and aligning and hanging them on the new car.

Attached Files:

8. More shots of the transfer bridge and the sports car. For sure, it was NOT a Cobra.

I think they were restoring the one after that.

I don't think we were told the story on the cycle.

Now I'm starting to remember that the Weslake heads were on a small block Chevy. Rare prototypes that they Weed-Eater guy actually found at a SWAP MEET!

Attached Files:

9. Roadsters.com

Roadsters.com

10. Clark

Clark

Nice!!! Thanks
    Clark

11. Rushin'mennonite

Rushin'mennonite

[QUOTE='29MurrayTub]In the photos at the bottom, they were copying a vintage sports car, red #62. It was covered mostly with duct tape to protect it while they test fit e-wheeled pieces to copy the body. I think the name of the car started with a "O." I wish I could remember. It was rare with only a few produced. Something like "Oslo," but that wasn't it. They used the transfer bridge, not for making the e-wheeled parts, but rather for registering dimensions and aligning and hanging them on the new car.[/QUOTE]

There was a make called Osca, is that it? It looks like an Osca.

12. Rushin'mennonite

Rushin'mennonite

Osca images attached:

Attached Files:

13. 50Fraud

50Fraud

That's an Osca MT4, which was a serious small-bore sports racing car built in the '50s. The engine was a beautiful DOHC 4 banger, I think 1500cc.

When I was a student at Art Center in '62, a guy at school bought a MT4 as a drive-to-school car, and I got a ride in it. Despite the small size of the engine, it was the fastest accelerating car I had ridden in up to that point! It also made a racket that would wake the dead. Bitchin'!

14. Osca! That's it! Thanks guys. And thanks for the history, too.