Register now to get rid of these ads!

57 roadster / Plowboy ripoff. UPDATE

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by caseyscustoms, Jun 15, 2006.

1. caseyscustoms

caseyscustoms
    BANNED
    from st.joe, MO

i kinda been playing with this some lately and i thought i would throw a couple of updated pics up. the frame still needs lots of boxing and guessets, and the body still needs lots of work also, steering column mounted and guages, floor and center console ect. ect. also the rear coils need to go up a little bit becuase the ass end sits a little lower than the front. but anyways here how she looks right now.

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      68 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      75.6 KB
      Views:
    • 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      76.6 KB
      Views:
    • 4.jpg
      4.jpg
      File size:
      58.1 KB
      Views:
    • 5.jpg
      5.jpg
      File size:
      76.8 KB
      Views:
    • 6.jpg
      6.jpg
      File size:
      71.7 KB
      Views:
  2. graverobber63

graverobber63
    Alliance Vendor

Casey chop that front end off it and get a nice magnum I beam under there. or at least run some fenders to hide all the control arms etc...

Body is coming real nice!!

3. thats pretty bitchin!

but whats all that stuff bolted to the frame between the motor and wheels??? ;)

4. Dirty2

Dirty2

This is going to be killer..

5. caffeine

caffeine
    from Central NJ

i like hte front suspension, i think if thats pulled off right its going to make it a "nice" different.

6. Squablow

Squablow

My jury is still out on the front suspension, but I really like the body design and the dash in place. I'd like to hear what the plans are for a grille and wheels.

Overall I still love it. Great to see this actually being built. Can't wait to see the next update.

7. sean72

sean72

Very cool! It kind of reminds me of the Hot Wheels '57 Roadster from a few years ago.

Sean

Attached Files:

8. ROADRAT EDDIE

ROADRAT EDDIE
    from New york

Im with Graverobber but i love the rest

9. Plowboy

Plowboy

Keep it up man!

You may find that you want to cut the passenger area back a little further into the trunk area for room. That way you can kick back in there and not have to have your body sticking way out of the top of the car.

Have you thought about your windshield yet? Just curious what you are going to use.

10. jaybee

jaybee

Dunno about the IFS showing. How about some pontoon fenders sort of like an early Ferrari Testarossa? Then again maybe that moves the problem to a different part of the car, because I don't know how you'd meld the wide fenders into the top of the cowl. Maybe something styled more like a thin-fendered car but blend them into the rocker panels?

11. Kurt

Kurt

Looks good. But do something with that front suspension. Go get a set of tubular A arms from the stock car boys with some coilovers. That would be better looking if you keep the stub frame.

12. sawzall

sawzall

I have to say I love the idea.. and I cant believe that plowboy, nor anyone really thinks this is a ripoff..

I dont care about the front suspension.. as your body can overcome that detail (at least for me..)

however its hard to tell from the photos.. but do your "door" areas have any "compound curve" in them? or are they "flat" as pictured the car looks really slabsided..

if in fact the "doors" dont have any compound curve.. (if they are FLAT) they will appear to be dented in.. when it comes time for paint..

maybe its just the photos..

but if its necessary.. now is the time to change it..

if its impossible to work the center of this area out..
    you may be able to overcome this problem with some well placed trim..

we had a "flat" condition with one of the bodies we built.. I overcame it with a small hand held "e-wheel" (similar to a vintage fender roller) that I made..

good luck.. and please keep showin updates..

sawzall

13. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

yup lookin good, rear wheels look like they could come forward a couple inches but ive yet to see what the fronts going to look like so maybe itll pull together.

maybe get some insperation for fenders from that 60s show style modal a two door with the floating fenders? cant remember the name of the car but its kinda flakey orange and its always got a sombreo on it? rod-regas maybe? i know i spelt that horidly sorry

tim

14. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

That got kick ass proten:p ,I would guess the 57 belair wing trim will look bitchin on the side(so no need for other stuff),as for sub,upper A-frame replaced with stockcar racing tube type uppers or cover with a 57 headlite-fender deal flaired off a rad shell that uses the 2 rocket scoups or something :rolleyes:
    The Bat
    Miami Fl

15. ground_pounder

ground_pounder

be kinda cool to take the front clip to a 57 and varrow and section it to fit the front, i think that modern front frame dont fit my eye. just my opinion though, rest is a sweet concept. i would see about taking a 57 windshield splitting it in half, and running a center bar or something to hide the seam, or have it glued, or even a curvy boat shield like some of the guys are using?., if you run headlight buckets, be nice to see the 57 headlight bezels on them. just throwin out ideas. looks bitchin, dont give up

16. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

do a search for tucks roadster and see his quad headlight grill shell moch ups. very 60s show rod looking.

take that and mold it all together with 57 eyebrows ect on the top lights?

17. caseyscustoms

caseyscustoms
    BANNED
    from st.joe, MO

the front end stays im just gonna have to find away to make it look cool, like chroming the a arms like plowboy said on my last post oir something. i have no idea what i am going to do for a windshield and that has ben kinda buggin me. the sides are curved, they have the same contour as the original 57 quarters. there is actually alot of room in there its , much better than any roadster/ coupe ive ever seen. i was looking at before pictures check out what she looked like before.

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      68.7 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      69 KB
      Views:
    • 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      66.9 KB
      Views:
    • 4.jpg
      4.jpg
      File size:
      69.7 KB
      Views:
  18. 47bob

47bob

Keep cooking Casey; i'm seeing Super Modified Roadster here. NASCAR beware!

20. Plowboy

Plowboy

As for the front end, try finding a studebaker lark grille and a set of quad headlights. Those stude grilles are cheap, and it should have enough size to cover the height and width of that front end.

Attached Files:

21. Mojo

Mojo

Maybe a cut down VW super beetle windshield? They have a nice curve running across them, might work well. That front suspension is just plain nasty looking, you'll have to do a ton of work to crutch that up. Run some simple rails out, and put a tube axle under it, you'll be far far ahead in the long run. It only takes one mis-step to ruin a car's look. My opinion.

22. caseyscustoms

caseyscustoms
    BANNED
    from st.joe, MO

plowboy what windshield did you run, i like the look of it?

23. Plowboy

Plowboy

I made it. It is just a ripoff of the chris craft boat type that I molded into the body.

24. Nappy

Nappy
    from York, PA

BUBBLE TOP!!!! As long as you're rippin off Plowboy's ideas, ya might as well cop some from Moriarty, too.

25. Squablow

Squablow

That would look bad ass with a full bubble roof. Add in a quad headlight custom fabbed grille unit and those chromed tubular A-arms on the front suspension and shit, that'd be wild.

26. hsheartaches

hsheartaches

That things sick on sooo many levels!! Inspiring, it is!

27. Thirdyfivepickup

Thirdyfivepickup

I didn't like the front end until Squblow mentioned chromed tubular arms... that would look cool.

28. caseyscustoms

caseyscustoms
    BANNED
    from st.joe, MO

bubble roof naw that sounds to wild, i think im going for the custom windshield like plowboy did on his that would look better and keep it looking like a jet fighter. i think i am going to chrome the a arms and shit now cus it is really sounding like a good idea.

29. mad-cad

mad-cad

What about having two separate winshield pods,could make them out of jap sportbike winshields....just an idea:D

30. drhotrodmd

drhotrodmd

Very cool and i like Plowboys idea for the Lark grill too.