Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Newbie with a seatbelt question.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Wharpoley, Apr 7, 2014.

1. Wharpoley

Wharpoley
    from Tacoma

Good afternoon folks,

I just recently picked up a '53 Ford Crestline Victoria (pictures attached) and it only has one seatbelt installed in the rear and I would like to install the rest. I've done a few google searches and have seen different lengths and styles listed but I want to make sure I get the factory belts/hardware. Does anyone have any suggestions on where to pick some up. Thanks in advance!

Attached Files:

2. mashed

mashed
    from 4077th

Ford started offering them as options in '55.

So there aren't specific factory belts for your car.

19ChevyFleetline50 likes this.
  3. Wharpoley

Wharpoley
    from Tacoma

Oh ok, didn't know that. I just checked and the fronts don't match the one rear, haha. I suppose the generic ones I've seen online will work. Thanks for the info!

4. Just buy a full set of After after market belts. The they'll all match.

5. demonspeed

demonspeed

I have a '54 ford and I got some from a place called Juliano's hot rod parts. They come in different colors and are universal fit. Just google them I'm sure they have a website and they advertise in all the street rod magazines.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

6. WildWilly68

WildWilly68

7. MAD 034

MAD 034
    from Washington

Please make sure they are properly installed so they do their job if needed.

8. 10bucks

10bucks

Wow, When we first started out as a young married couple we were driving my 54 Ford street rod. Was the only car we had. Well, babies were coming so we drilled and bolted a full seat belt into the back seat of the 54 two door so the car seat would be secure. I remember my wife glug glugging around town in the FE 390 street rod hauling kids around. That's how that rear seat belt came to be.

9. ...........Like demonspeed says, Julianos is an excellent source with a lot of different choices and by the way, that's a beautiful '53 Victoria.:)

10. scott51

scott51

11. 5window

5window

x 2 for Andover Restraints-good stuff priced well. They have a plain polished Stainless aircraft style latch that would look good in your car. Julianos is fine-nice stuff, but usually high priced-often a bit overpriced-IMHO. Whatever you do, use new belts with US DOT certification- used/junker belts may look fine but you don't know what aging/stresses,etc they have been exposed to-why take a chance?

12. Great advice, 5window.

13. I believe it was '56, along with the other safety features they offered starting that year; deep-dish steering wheel, padded dash and visors. I had a set of those belts in a '56 I used to own, and they wouldn't have met current standards... besides being worn out.

19ChevyFleetline50 likes this.
  14. Nemosgarage

Nemosgarage

Dot certification is a must. On my first attempt to buy belts they were cheap and would loosen as you were wearing them. Just glad I never had to test them would not have been pretty. Buy the best it is worth it.

15. All good advice,make sure you attach the seat belts to the floor of the car and not the frame..God forbid,but if you were ever in a serious accident the floors will give a bit but the frame will not. HRP

16. Wharpoley

Wharpoley
    from Tacoma

Ok, Andover does have some nice looking satin ones. I for sure need to do more reading on how to install them. We have four young boys so I want to make sure I do it right!

17. Most company's that sell seat belts offer a installation kit,,it's not rocket science so it's a relatively simple task. HRP

18. mashed

mashed
    from 4077th

Nope. 1955.