Register now to get rid of these ads!

Your most memorable time at the drags

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by OldColt, Jul 6, 2013.

1. fender lizard

fender lizard
    from mcallen tx

Worse night at the time, but memorable and great time looking back at it now. I was 18yrs old in 2005 and had spent every cent I had on go fast parts for my 327/Muncie m20 68 Camaro. I was making a pass to enter a car club that required a 13sec run to enter. Knowing my car was a mid 14second car I launched the poor girl off the tree at some unreal rpm. It was my first time running with slicks and they were a friends who had just bought them new. Well after my john force smokey burnout.... Yea they gripped. Fastest run I made that night was prob my passenger rear wheel! It snapped the lugs off the axle and left me on the cheap $60 Lakewood traction bars! Luckily I didn't mess up the quarter pannel too bad. Fun night now that I look back. Scary thing was I had to leave the car there overnight untill I could buy new studs the next day. Track owner was super cool guy and opened the place up following morning so I could get my car out.

2. tylercrawford

tylercrawford
    from Buford, GA
    1. S.F.C.C.

Been there with my falcon.

Swapped in a t5 and the 2nd pass I made on slicks broke the driver's side axle and I wobbled all the way down the 1/8th. Good thing it wasn't a c-clip rear.

Had to get towed home an hour and a half away.

3. 40fordtudor

40fordtudor

I remember in 1959 at the Grand Island, Nebraska dragway, Jack Moss from Amarillo TX I think, showed up with his dual SBC powered streamliner looking dragster and ran over 150 MPH. Someone there on the staff announced that he(Moss) had covered the 1/4 faster than if he pushed it off a cliff. He held the track record for quite awhile. Then we got educated by someone else that "the world wasn't flat" when they ran well over 150. Pretty exciting day, tho.

4. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

I ran [literally] into Jungle Pam once, a side step and I managed to not knock her down..

5. raven

raven

Hey, I used to race at Lawrence! And pit for a friend of mine, the 'Finders and Dad' race team.
    r

6. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

For me it was watching Don Garlits at Englishtown when his dragster went all the way up in the air and blew right over and some how landed right side up and then he drove slowly back to the starting line going the wrong way!!!!!!

I can still hear the crowd screaming and yelling I had never seen anything at a drag strip like that in my life time.

Jimbo

7. von zipper

von zipper

Grabbing Don Garlits spark plugs out of the trash right after a run! As soon as I did, there was a mad dash for the rest of them!

8. ronnieroadster

ronnieroadster

This one is easy for me my most memorable time at the drags is when I won my class at CT Dragway I was racing my Deuce roadster. My three deuce flathead Ford V-8 came out on top. Still have the car and still have the motor which now powers my wife's Deuce five window coupe

9. TheKeystoneKid

TheKeystoneKid
    from Allentown

Last year my racer embarrassed some of the local tough guys.

10. GeezersP15

GeezersP15
    from N.E. PA

Back in the mid/late 60's, went to Numidia Dragways (in PA). Saw the "Turbostang" make a run, and then later some guy in a mid 60's Oldsmobile, I think, pulled up to the starting line. When the tree flashed down, he nailed it, and took off....in reverse. Damned near ran over an official, and his car had to be pushed off the track. Don't know what he busted up, but that had to be one of his "Lifes's most embarrassing moments". It was pretty funny, though.:D

11. Saubrenner

Saubrenner

I have a few, I was pretty young when we started going to George Rays in Paragould. I remember when a guy with a 60 El Camino out ran my uncles 67 396 Impala. The guy swore it was a 348 but my uncle was sure it was a 409. This was a few weeks before he went to Vietnam.
    Poplar Bluff used to have a 1/10 mile strip, I saw a 327 powered wheel chair run there once. The guy made a couple of passes, then got mad and loaded up when they told him he had to wear a helmet.
    We took the Lil Cuss 61 Falcon to Salem, Mo. once and had to walk the track and retrieve the pieces of clutch stuck in it after the third run.
    My mom had 69 Malibu and every time my uncle would come home on leave, we had to go race it. I still have one of the trophy's from the West Plains dragstrip.
    Last summer, I took my wife to George Rays and she actually enjoyed it. I hadn't been there since 86 but it still felt like the old days. Her uncle ran a 55 there in the 60's, I want to take her 55 there and make a couple of passes.

12. Poh

Poh
    from Quincy,Ca.

First I ever went was in the early 80's, went with my Aunt and her boyfriend at the time...Atmore Alabama was the place, and the smell of burnt rubber,and racing fuel has been stuck ever since

13. 1934coupe

1934coupe

Been going to the drag strip since 1962 when I was 12 a friend at the garage I hung out at took me to Westhampton Dragstrip in his new 62 Chevy Impala
    4 speed, dual quad positraction 409. We drove out from NYC to Hampton and I was nuts with excitement. Fast forward to Sept 2013 when we brought the same car that I waxed and cleaned that day (the MG in my avitar) to the NEHRR at Epping NH and ran the fastest the car ever ran in its 50+ years. It was if we won Indy.

Pat

Attached Files:

14. 1967 (9yrs old) at Fremont drag strip I witnessed some of the first funny cars and the green monster,I will never forget that day! Hooked forever.Pete.