Register now to get rid of these ads!

What body filler are you guys using?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Roothawg, Jan 29, 2009.

1. 8flat

8flat

Another vote for Rage Gold.

2. OshkoshRob

OshkoshRob
    from Oshkosh

I'm still old "skool" I use Bondo......no,not really. I use bodylight, butmaybe i'll try the Rage stuff.

3. Rellim51

Rellim51
    from West TN

Bobby Alloway has good things to say about it also.

4. lodaddyo

lodaddyo

yep , Rage Gold here too

5. retroridesbyrich

retroridesbyrich
    from Central NC

6. n1gzd

n1gzd
    from Acton, MA

I used Evercoat last time (on my regular driver which I drive in the winter salt) and I agree that it is easy to sand. So far it has held up fine. It has only been about 2 years though.

Rebecca

7. Stick004

Stick004
    from Missouri

I like Evercoat. I tend to use the Metal2Metal filler anywhere that's not getting just glaze. sands easy, and seems to hold up so far.

I might look into Rage though, it's getting alot of praises here...

8. metalmike13

metalmike13
    from Glass City

Upol- Fiberall (over welds), USC Duraglass (where needed), Rage Gold(general filler work), and Evercoat Poly putty for a finish coat before primer. I worked in dealer body shops and resto shops and this is the combo that i have always used. Works good for me.

9. cleatus

cleatus
    from Sacramento

I like Evercoat Z-Grip.
    Never tried Rage.
    If anyone has experience with both, let me know if you think Rage is better & why.

10. autobodyed

autobodyed
    from shelton ct

11. Sprcheese

Sprcheese

Rage gold, but only cause I got a gallon for free. I'll buy more when I run out. Not that my truck will need any :rolleyes:

12. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

Rage, with a bit of supercharger in it, cover it in a skim of icing always and for extra insurance do welds with a skim of duroglass, 'cuz it's waterproof

13. hillbilly sedan

hillbilly sedan

I used the rage for a couple of years, and have been useing z-grip for a while now and cant tell any diference besides the z is cheaper and gives less pin holes

14. 60'shotrod

60'shotrod

I'm gonna keep an eye on this, This rage stuff sounds like just what I'd be after, when it becomes time for the bodywork.

15. Rude Dude

Rude Dude

I like rage gold easy to work with and sands good

16. Theopwk

Theopwk
    from Spokane WA

Ive used Evercoat Z grip for years with no issues. I also just started using Smart, and it seems pretty good.

17. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

Rage Gold for me. For the small stuff I use Evercoat Metal Glaze. Evercoat is a good quality brand, never had any problems.

18. chopt55bc

chopt55bc

19. Rusty Kustoms

Rusty Kustoms

Rage gold is my personal favorite, I have used pretty much everything and many others work well also. I have used usc basecoat clearcoat with good results. The old 3m stuff is ok and the price is cheap, just don't use dynatron, around here it is marketed as 3m but it is really bondo. For a glaze I use usc icing, but they all work about the same.

20. For you guys that like Evercoat products and maybe those that don't take a look at this. www.evercoat.com It is Evercoats latest technology. It is a 10:1 mix ratio, epoxy enriched filler with different speed catalyst. It also sands twice as fast as any other filler on the market (you really have to try it to believe it but it does). The other cool thing about it is it has a tighter structure like putties so there is no need to skim coat it with putty if you normally do.

40stude dude is right about staining and and the reason that they put it on the can is that when the first generation of polyester fillers came on the marked they did bleed and stain quite a bit so when the technology advanced so that it was much less likely to happen it was a big deal so they made sure the cans said so. It's a feature that was very important before (not so much any more as all fillers are more stain resistant these days) but they just never stopped promoting the stain resistance.

21. HomemadeHardtop57

HomemadeHardtop57

rage gold and evercloat glaze..everyone's using it because it's the best shit out there.

22. super plus

super plus
    BANNED

23. BRYANSAYER

BRYANSAYER

Marson platinum

25. Skrap metal

Skrap metal

just remember that metal2metal don't flex as well so not a good idea in areas where
    flexing might happen.

26. evilone0528

evilone0528

I use Rage Gold all day long.By that I mean on 2 or 3 cars a day,every day.In 6 years of business I have NEVER had a failure.

Just my 0.02....Hope it helps.

Evil

27. Tim G

Tim G

i remember when i first started working in a bodyshop 18 years ago pretty much all we had available was Upol P38... damn that shit was hard! used to have to knock it down with 40grit then 80 and finally 180 before priming. hoorah for modern technology and light weight minimum pinhole fillers... i wouldn't say a pleasure to work with but a damn sight easier than back then :)

the filler i'm using at the moment is a italian make i think, really good stuff... i'll check the label tomorrow.

28. VonDust

VonDust

29. Stude-sled

Stude-sled

Rage gold for years, but I have switched to Evercoat Quantum (part #450). Its a little higher but sands better.

30. Simple question. If you seal with epoxy primer after bondo, does it make any difference about staining?