Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration #### Friday Art Show ####

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Robin B, Jan 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jeff, that rules!! I love it.

2. OK, I've never posted on the Friday art thread, but here goes. I recently decided to start doing more drawing. It's something that I love, but don't "find" time to do. The pictures that I'm posting tonight are some that I did in High School (about 15 years ago). All of the black and whites where drawn on plain white tag board with india ink. Anything in color was done with either colored pencil or an ink wash. Most of you will probably recognize some of these pictures. None of them are my own originals, but are drawings I did of them. Almost all of the original pictures were ones that I found on the corners of the pages of Street Rodder and Rodders Digest. Basically, I took the small pictures, and re-drew them on full sheets of tag-board.I'll appologize now to anyone who's drawings I may have "knocked-off". They are for my own entertainment, and not for sale. The pencil sketches are my own work, with the exception of the '55 Gasser, and the blue Merc.
    Two of these pieces were originally done by Lance Sorchik, and I've included the originals in the pictures.
    Hopefully, I'll have some originals of my own to post soon.

Attached Files:

3. (more of the same)

Attached Files:

4. (...and more) FYI, the positive/ negative of Iwo Jima was a picture that I got off of my Marine Corps recruiter's business card. Semper Fi!

Attached Files:

5. (and the last)

Attached Files:

6. I needed something special for my inprogress '39 Chevy Custom. I started looking around the shop and found an old damaged '36 Ford hood ornament. The shape of the base was right and so was the width. Then later I found this old retro Art Deco bookend in the house. I cut the base off, drilled a long hole in the bottom of the leg and a matching hole in the '36 ornament base (after I had remoned the V8 emblem) and inserted a steel rod for support. Then JB welded it all together. Then sanded and painted it and old bronze color since it could not be plated. Glad you fellas liked it. Thanks, Michael

7. cheddar

cheddar
    from missouri

a bike i did about a year ago?[​IMG] ag[​IMG]o?

8. 81ttopcoupe

81ttopcoupe
    from Cedar Park

[​IMG]
    This is freakin' awesome. Man, and I just found a premo 39 grill for my truck.

9. 21tat

21tat

Good stuff! Hat's off to Robin on that Texas piece. Fuckin' rules.

10. Broman

Broman
    from an Island

Thanks BigO.

wrenchbender54, "knock-offs" are exactly how I learned to draw.

I was an enterprizing young fella. Our high school art teacher had an assignment that required using those scaling grids (depicted in your post) to draw from photos and such. After the drawing was sketched we were asked to use a pointalism technique to colorize them.

The kids who were - let's call it artisically challenged - would come to me for help on these assignments. I would do the line work usually two or three a night, for a small fee.... then I would give the drawing back to it's owner and they'd use the pointalism technique to finish them out during class time.

This lil' business was in place most of my HS career - and it was my first forray into the world of art. I was doing it before I had even taken a single elective art class.

Man those are some good memories...

I can also remember the first time I actually took an art class. During one of the the first classes I started going at it and the teacher came around to see how we were all doing. When she got to me she was like...."Uhh what's your name again? .....and why haven't you been in art classes before!!!" (I believe I was a Junior at the time).

She laid into me for a long time over that....I took almost all art classes my Senior year, lol.

11. LOWCAB

LOWCAB
    from Houston

Here's a last one for this week. Got nowhere on my painting that I have been working on. I think I'll set it on fire.

I used this drawing in another one I did that had some pinstriping. This is the original.

[​IMG]

BR
    I see this gets the art show to six pages. Great turnout by all. Good to hear also of those who are going to get back at it.

12. Blackie

Blackie

Glad you like it... I say go for it, BUT you can't just slap the '36 car grill where the '38/'39 truck grill goes. This would put the car grill out way too far. There would need to be a lot of finessing to get the grille to look correct proportionally. my plan would be to use a '38/9 hood and narrow toward the front as necessary to meet the '36 grille. The nose of the hood would obviously need some work to make the transition. I chose the '38/9 cab because it is closer IMO to the lines of the '36 car. The pickups lagged behind a bit from the cars in terms of lines/contours. Even though the '38/9 cab have a split windshield (where the '36 car is flat), I still think the curvature of the roof lends itself better than the '36 cab. I saw a '36 pickup with '36 car grille and I don't think it quite worked (plus the grille was positioned too far forward.) TO pull it off it would have to be placed just right.

AND I just so happen to have both a cab and a grille, which got me thinking about this project.

13. Jigger can't come out and play tonight, he's got work to do. D'OH!
    He's stuck someplace in Burbank peciling stuff for some T.V. show inspired animated film.
    La-Dee-Dah!
    He's missed two weeks already and truly regrets not being involved this week, with all the high calliber things he's been priveledged to witness tonight. Simply one of the best shows I've seen thus far.

Robin B I love that perspective.

Artist formerly known as "BRUSH" Thanks for sharing--- love the stuff!

Zombie--- Back from the dead, eh? WOODY old boy, Simply WOODY! I'm so inspired!

Flyin'P --- Beauty, Eh?

Blackie, Thanks for the '54 details. I agree 200% w/ Flyin'P's comments on your work. and the, eh,...'35 Ranchero...Build, Please!

Janne, Exquisit! Love the painstaking details.

Tingler, I'm diggin' the vibe, bro.

13 year old, keep practicing, you're well on your way.

LoCab , everyone else, thanks for posting the goods.

In L.A. for a couple weeks, Hope to see Big Roth stuff at Peterson while here, Wish me luck.

14. glenn33

glenn33
    from Browns, IL

[​IMG]

Again, you've blown me away....

15. AHotRod

AHotRod

WOW!
    You guys are awesume.

16. gowjobs

gowjobs

Did this quickie up for a slot car drag racing flyer this afternoon:

Attached Files:

17. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

Haven't posted anything artistic in a long time, not that I do many "artsy" things anyway.
    Here's something I made from a bunch of junk they were throwing out in work. They were decomissioning a lab, and throwing out a bunch of 3/8" stainless tubing. I brought them home, cut them up, welded them to some larger tubing, using ss fender washers. I then bought a ss float ball, and welded the tubing to it. Installed some candlabra bases for bulbs, wiring, and a piece of 1" tubing for a hanger, and viola! a chandelier for the dining room. I call it Sputnik.
    I did leave out "lots of polishing"!

Attached Files:

18. Coupe-De-CAB

Coupe-De-CAB
    from Nor Cal

Just finished another skate deck for our fellow art buddy, Mr. Allison:)

[​IMG]

these decks are fun to do, it's the second one i've done.
    great stuff this week guys, I look forward to this post every thursday:)

... so many great artists on this forum and so much inspired creativity too take in every week!
    blessings,
    CAB

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.