Register now to get rid of these ads!

Let's Talk Cyclecars

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bigcheese327, Dec 4, 2007.

1. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

Subsequent to my above musings of Post 733, I've actually come up with a cable-based interconnected suspension system that would work for a small cyclecar of the wooden-framed sort:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. DrJ

DrJ

Pretty pictures but I'm just not seeing what works what.
    I'm imagining the bungs in the ends of the coils attach to/between frame members somewhere but the tube shock looking parts have me stymied.
    If they are shocks wouldn't they just fully extend and be rigid from that point on?
    And what keeps it's unsprung parts from overextending if the car "gets air"?
    I'm very interested in something like this for a pedal car if It works.
    How about including the frame and axles soon?

3. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

i am going with the tube shocks are pulled, and as the cables pull on the tubes, the are also pulling bracket in the middle, which pulls (via rotation) on the springs, basically actuating both the spring and the absorber simultaneously, less cable stretch.

preload would be fairly easy, but how would you compensate for negative travel?

4. model.A.keith

model.A.keith

5. model.A.keith

model.A.keith

6. model.A.keith

model.A.keith

7. model.A.keith

model.A.keith

8. model.A.keith

model.A.keith

9. model.A.keith

model.A.keith

10. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

The narrow parts of things that look like tube shocks are in fact tube shocks; the thicker parts are tubes containing coil springs in such a way that the whole assembly works as a spring in tension. Those carry the front and rear axles, respectively, but do not resist roll.

The bungs at the ends of the coil springs are also tube shocks, and they do indeed mount to the frame. Those springs deal only with roll, and should be quite stiff.

I reckon the suspension could be fitted with extention stops that would limit downward motion of the axles quite severely, so that there would still be considerable preload in the springs if the axles are against the stops. The front/rear springs would be fairly soft, and therefore wouldn't need such stiff rebound damping as is likely to allow the cables to go limp.

The whole system is shown shortened in the interest of getting it all into the graphic at a legible size. The next step is obviously to add axles and a frame. I see something like this running a smallish air-cooled motorbike twin, like a mid-'80s Kawasaki Z250, and chain drive.

11. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

The building is definitely more of American than European construction.

[​IMG]

That is cool. For some reason I really like small closed bodies.

12. damagedduck

damagedduck
    from Greeley Co

CLIFF said he had a account here but can't remember what it is? LOL too many cold winter?but i will post more pictures when he sends to me,he really thought it was cool when i sent him the link for this,now he's thinking of putting skinny wires on the bucket.:cool:

13. model.A.keith

model.A.keith

14. model.A.keith

model.A.keith

15. model.A.keith

model.A.keith

16. model.A.keith

model.A.keith

17. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

[​IMG]

Bob, the term differential isn't quite accurate there. You'll find a ring and pinion in there, but no diff as such. The sprocket sizes suggest four speeds given by four chains, two either side of the bevel box. Note the cogs for reverse. There's no split between the left and right wheels, though. GNs were somewhat known for their lack of a differential; which reputation turned to notoriety when the system re-emerged in the Frazer-Nashes. Hence the narrow rear track on both, much more noticeable in conjunction with the latter's conventional front track.

It's an easy fix, though: a differential may be incorporated into an axle comprising concentric shafts, without losing the straight-forward character of the system. It's something one might consider as much for the sake of grippier tyres as a wider track.

Edit: the second photo shows a tin-can looking thing in the middle of the axle, which looks like it might contain a differential. If that is the case I am almost certain it isn't an original GN fitment.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2011
  18. Me too.

19. Huckster Dave

Huckster Dave
    from montana

I remember many years ago at the Ionia Free Fair (Ionia, Michigan) seeing an inline two place cycle car. Looked similar to a bubble top belly tank with two small wing that held for lack of a better word balance wheels. Drive and steering wheels were inline.

20. Following on the tandem seating theme, this was a UK kit car in the 1980's - the Hudson Kindred Spirit. The passenger seat was close behind the drivers' and the passengers legs went either side of the lead seat - that meant it could be very close coupled. The gearlever came up between the drivers' legs!

It was based on the early Renault 5; the one with the engine inline rather than transverse. Could accept the Gordini mechanicals for a pretty fast trike.

[​IMG]

21. DrJ

DrJ

Cool!
    Do you have any clear closeups or diagrams of how that BSA spindle pivots?
    Thanks

22. boldventure

boldventure

A newer build, by a man near Santa Cruz, Ca. I first saw in in 2010. The man on the right is the builder. He actually fits in the car and can drive it. I has a Honda OHV single.

Attached Files:

23. Allard Register

Allard Register
    from Fresyes

Banjeaux...where did you find/take these Allard J2 photos?

24. DrJ

DrJ

Thanks Bob!!!!:cool:

25. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

26. damagedduck

damagedduck
    from Greeley Co

CLIFF finally sent more pictures:::)

Attached Files:

27. farna

farna

So I'm assuming that Cliff's car has a chain drive motor with a chain drive differential -- looks like a golf cart or racing go-cart diff. There is a countershaft behind the engine... to keep the chain from being too long, or to change final drive? This is more of an oversized go-cart or a scale hot-rod than a true cycle car, but it is powered by a cycle engine!

Speaking of which... is anyone in the south interested in a CX500 engine (complete bike) cheap? No title, but it was running. The coils are bad, or something in the ignition. I haven't tried starting it, got it from a nephew who was thinking about putting it on a go-cart. I think I may have saved his life... no the safest of kids! I was thinking of making a BSA or Morgan style cycle car using this and a VW bug front suspension. Run the driveshaft down the center tunnel of the VW floor pan and rework the rear for a single wheel.

28. edfueler

edfueler

Hey Bob, That silver three wheeler you describe as morganesque would be based on a citroen 2cv, I'd wager. there's a kit frame you can buy in Britain to convert them. with aswing arm at every corner, one of the rear ones is simply moved to the centre. I saw one at Evandale in Tasmania at the penny farthing races. (One of the racers had his penny tied upright on the back) I drive a Dyane that my folks bought new in 68 . it has the same pan/chassis.

29. This is standing in the Bugatti Museum in Alsace now.