Register now to get rid of these ads!

Finally Got a Henry J

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by swade41, Oct 3, 2010.

1. Lucky3

Lucky3

2. HA HA ha you made me really laugh out loud when I read that you fool

4. Video, of course, Thompson, I don't know if I'm going to make it, lots left to do and things to buy yet. I certainly don't want to get sick again, that really sucked !

5. My hard drive took a major hit from a virus, so I lost my all programs function and picture downloading. I had ordered a custom gas tank from Ron Pope Motorsports and was waiting on the trans from the rebuilder which both arrived yesterday.
    The tank fit like a glove and having the trans ment the engine could go back in so I got to freshing up the firewall.
    [​IMG]

and one of the tank
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I still need to finish the body work on the radius, wire harness and plumb the fluids. I need to get busy !

6. This used to have a up and down flow radiator but I switched to a cross flow. The original radiator was acting as a core support to tie the front fenders together.
    You can imagine the floppy fenders without that radiator in there so I had to fab something up. The fenders were tied into the old radiator support so I left that in there and built off of it. This is what I came up with, lower mount just welded in between the frame rails and the upper is a bolt in so as to remove the radiator if need be. It really stiffend the whole front up and I'm pleased as to how it came out.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I also got my Champion stickers for the sides of my scoop, I've been thinking about this look for a long time before I got the henry j.

[​IMG]

7. You're making great progress. We might get some sunshine Sat. Will you be going to Empire?

8. AWESOME!! Nice car, nice posts! I'm excited to see this one come together!

9. If the weather holds Art, I'll be there.
    Thanks, after painting the firewall Sat, the front frame/suspension on Sun. and putting the rear brakes together yesterday I took the night off. My back said that's enough !

10. Little update, I mocked up the motor 388 ci hope it runs as good as it looks. I do have some M\T valve covers that will go on it.

[​IMG]

I also painted the roll bar and floor, pinting the roll bar was a pain but my 6 yr old liked brush painting the floor with me. I also painted the dash but no pictures of that.

[​IMG]

Painted the gas tank and plumbed the filter and pump

[​IMG]

I also layed out the wiring and wired the rear of the car

[​IMG]

11. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Looking good, Phil !

12. deadendcruiser

deadendcruiser

Nice to see you still at it. It's coming along great.

13. While waiting on the glass guy to come and install the glass I decided to polish the old black wrinkle paint valve covers. While looking for something else I came across my old canteen which will be the over flow tank, so I polished that too. My finger tips could crack a safe from 50 feet they're so tender lol

[​IMG]

The glass guy came yesterday so tonight was spent installing the new mill !

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I'm digging the way it looks, sitting nice

[​IMG]

14. modelaman

modelaman
    from sunland ca

this stock grill and the skull grill I am saving for if I ever find another henry J to build. I have all the moulds to build a fiberglass 51 grill in either stock form or the skull form.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. hemipwd41willys

hemipwd41willys
    from Wyoming

Your HJ is looking very good. You are getting very close to the finish line. Or should we say the christmas tree. Keep the pics coming!

16. #1 Kawboy

#1 Kawboy
    from Fl

Sweeeet Man ! Looks like the wait was worth it !

17. rodknocker

rodknocker

Its looking real cool Phil! Keep it up. Will it make it to Lancaster's Sunday Niagara???

18. 1arock

1arock

Oh so close, looking good man. Iv've been watching. Rocky

19. Thanks, it's hot as hell out in the garage but pushing through to figure out where it all goes.
    rodknocker I'm not sure about Lancaster but I will be at "The Gold Cup" in Leichester for sure www.GasserRacingSeries.com
    The next Gasser Series race is next Saturday July 30th, it would be awesome to have the car ready for that but I'm a one man show here. Between work and being a dad I don't get as much time in the garage as I would like. Being dad doesn't bother me, we had a blast driving the bucket around tonight and getting ice cream. I'll trade garage time for that any time.
    I did get those valve covers on today and figured out the fuel lines up front, might turn the valve covers around for the breather in the back ?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 22, 2011
  20. blue 49

blue 49
    from Iowa

I just got my own Henry last weekend. You say you used a Bronco 9". Any details like the year it came out of and if it needed any modifications (other than suspension brackets)? A past owner started to pro street mine and cut the floor and the firewall out the same time. Along with the swiss cheese rockers there's not much holding it together.

Gary

21. The bronco rear is a 73 but 66 -76 are the same width, I didn't modify it other than the mentioned brackets. Congrats on getting your henry j, have fun with it.

22. Crazy news, after looking at the scoop and carbs trying to figure out how the angle changed from a regular single four intake to the tunnel ram. I was looking at the front of the intake and noticed the carb pad was higher on the front than the rear.
    Huh ? I went back to an original picture and sure as shit the top of the intake was put on backwards. I know the engine builder was complaining about my old NOS gaskets and I'm sure he used lock-tight on those bolts down in there too.
    So add something to the list tomorrow of what to get done, freaking b.s.
    The good side, a friend gave me a deep cast aluminum finned trans pan lastnight with the pickup extension. Extra 2 1/2 qts for the trans.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

23. chevy3755

chevy3755

nice ride.......

24. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

Just turn the engine around, Phil...

25. Maybe the carbs just wanted to be nose high like the car..... lol

26. I spent the day squaring up a few things, like turning around the tunnel ram top, rejetting and going through the carbs. I didn't get much new progress but the carb angle looks 100 times better and that was a little reward worth it.
    Tomorrow I plan on picking up some A-N fittings and braided line for carbs to regulator and hope to run the rest of the fuel line also.

27. Really cool looking J. I've always liked these. I cant wait to hear it fire up.

28. roll_low

roll_low
    from Rigby, Id

This car is killer!

29. Lookin' good Swade..Hope to see the car at Empire for the August Gold Cup race.

Rick
    ==========================================

30. Rick this thing better be done by the Gold Cup !

Had a couple setbacks this week but made progress in other things so the balance was good. I pulled the trigger on some things I needed from Jegs and Summit and also dropped off the measurements for a new driveshaft. Blew my budget for awhile for sure.
    Here's an overall look of how the car is right now

[​IMG]

I got the fuel lines all done, altenator mounted and trans cooler location figured out.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Next up will be mounting and plumbing the trans cooler, battery disconect switch, battery, seats, wiring etc etc etc Hope I get it done