Register now to get rid of these ads!

home made tools and equipment...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kustombuilder, Jan 16, 2008.

1. DamnYankeesKustoms

DamnYankeesKustoms

Here is a work bench(mind the mess) I made out of a headache rack from a flat bed semi trailer, shortened one side about a foot or so and the back about a foot and a half, best thing is I got for free

Attached Files:

2. DamnYankeesKustoms

DamnYankeesKustoms

The work bench also has a trailer hitch style vise attachment so I can slide it out about two feet when I need to,and my bench grinder will slide rite inside the square tube the vise is mounted to, just another way to save some space

3. DamnYankeesKustoms

DamnYankeesKustoms

my 42'' sheet metal brake I'm building..

Attached Files:

4. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Here is the engine / tranny lifter bar. Easy to balance by changing pick up points. Again thick wall 2" RHS and 7/16" plate. Swivel bracket allows access to hard areas by moving engine crane. Centre bolt is HT and can be easily upgraded to heavier one if you want to use this with body lifter bracket.

Attached Files:

5. 22george

22george
    from ohio

home made sand bag using a truck inner tube , wood and leather slappers and stakes to put in a vise

Attached Files:

• 004.jpg
      004.jpg
      File size:
      214.3 KB
      Views:
    • 005.jpg
      005.jpg
      File size:
      196.3 KB
      Views:
  6. terryr

terryr
    from earth

Here's a ball joint press. It can press them in or out, and also useful for other things with a variety of spacers.

[​IMG]

The jack was throw out by a neighbor because it was totally rusted and empty. I put it in the electrolytic bath and it came out 100% clean. Some oil and it was good to go. Painted it red because jacks are supposed to be red I guess. I estimate 8 to 12 tons capacity.

On this job I beat out the old ball joint with a hammer. The new one went in so easy I began to flare out the blue spacer. Much better than beating it in or using a ball joint C clamp.

7. bjinatj

bjinatj

Nice... I saw this over at metalmeet. Keep us up to date when you start that 36 chevy 2 door.

8. bobj49f2

bobj49f2

Here's a quick and easy tire bead breaker I made out of some 2X8s and cheap port-a-power unit. I made the wooden frame just slightly wider that the rim. Worked on some very crusty old tires.

Attached Files:

9. oj

oj

Heres' my ford 3rd member installation tool. I wish i had a 3rd member to sit in it but i don't. How it works is that the post drops into a floor jack, the universal joints go around the upper part of the post while the 2 'legs' that stick out support the belly of the 3rd member. I just raise the 3rd member up on the floor jack until it is aligned with the rear housong and slide it onto the studs and unbolt the universal joints from the pinion and the rear is in place ready to tighten.

Attached Files:

10. RichG

RichG

Awesome idea! Now the breaker I have can be turned into something else!:D

11. mixedupamx

mixedupamx

heres my new shop press. I built it several weeks ago when we were snowed in by 18 inches of the blowing white stuff. used a cheep 1 ton harbour "freight" cherry picker for the basis. I flipped the legs upside down giving me 2 mount holes on each leg, built the upper crossmember and lower press bed from some 4x6 I beam that I was able to requisition:rolleyes: from a local scrap pile. the rest was scrap angle iron I had cluttering up the garage. this was built to utilize my 10 ton porto power that had been doing nothing but collecting dust. it was mounted with a couple of old used muffler clamps, a piece of pipe welded to the upper I beam locates the ram and a couple conduit clamps mount the pump on top of the upper beam. I drilled a series of holes evenly spaced down the legs to give height adjustability and used 2 $3.00 H.F. round pry bars for the support pins. I tried to use the original bolts and pins everywhere to hold it all togther. the only extra fastners were the 4 bolts holding the upper beam to the legs. even with all that I can still pull off all the press gear and use the picker as a picker so its a double duty tool. I even made a small tray at the back to store the picker beam and ram plus the porto power box so its all self contained. the only cash I have into it are the rattle cans of orange paint, the conduit clamps and 2 pry bars. I already had the c.p. and all else. cant believe how much I use it already rather than beating everything to death with a BFH!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 5, 2011
  12. plym49

plym49
    from Earth

Friggin' ingenious.

13. 1929CDAN

1929CDAN

Here is a couple grinder stands I made using new disc I bought at a farm supply store. They are less than $10.00 dollars new. One of the stands is made using a closed drive tube and the other is a old drive shaft. When you use one of the tools you can put your foot on the disc to hold it in place, so they don`t need to be bolted down. They are easy to move and none of the dust or grinding gets under then.
    shop tools feb.2011 004.jpg

shop tools feb.2011 005.jpg

shop tools feb.2011 003.jpg

shop tools feb.2011 001.jpg

14. encswsm

encswsm

Nice tools.. I have a 10" piece of railroas track I use for an anvil..

15. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Fixed it for you, now we don't have to turn our heads sideways :)

Attached Files:

16. mixedupamx

mixedupamx

thanks blue one, Im almost computer iliterate. I saw it as a personal victory just to figure out how to post the pic

17. FANTM58

FANTM58

The 20 ton shop press in the back of the picture was made with scrap metal ( I have re-built it since bending the top frame in the picture )

A few sch 80 PVC parts and a bolt made a pretty good hole dimpler

The car rotisserie was made from some scrap I-beams, off of a job at Carlsbad caverns

Attached Files:

18. encswsm

encswsm

19. terryr

terryr
    from earth

20. 123

from Seattle

21. 3kross

3kross
    Alliance Vendor
    from Adrian, MO

Almost got my home made hossfeld bender done got a stand made and bolted to the floor and got it into a working machine and did a few practice bends to see how it works. Still got a little bit of welding to do on the swing arm the only way i could bend the 1/2 steel was to put it in the band saw and cut half way through then i could bend it on the work bench. Bent some 1/2 rebar and 3/16 steel strap and some 1/4 rod.

Attached Files:

22. Motorbreath

Motorbreath

23. bjinatj

bjinatj

24. 123

from Seattle

LOL, yeah. Well at least he will have some spare speaker wire for the shop when he needs it. I wonder how many times he has been electrocuted by his own tools?

25. Kbeitz

Kbeitz

Is that a Woodstock or workshop lathe ???

26. Kbeitz

Kbeitz

[​IMG]

27. Kbeitz

Kbeitz

[​IMG]

28. Kbeitz

Kbeitz

You need a double through double pole toggle switch... And a on-off switch...

29. Spazevedo14

Spazevedo14

bct likes this.
  30. dawford

dawford

Kbeitz,

The way to wire the reversing switch is to use a double pole double throw switch that a is momentary or self centering switch.

That is a switch that self centers in the off position that way you don't need an off and on switch at all.

You could wire an off and on switch as a safty switch in case the foot switch gets stuck in one or the other position.

The bottom of the switch will have 6 lugs on it.

Be sure to get a switch that can handle the amount of amps required by the motor.

The diagram below shows how I would wire the switch.

The 6 small circles represent the 6 lugs on the bottom of the switch.

The 2 wires shown crossing in the center of the switch are not connected to each other.

One crosses over the other and both are insulated from each other.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 14, 2011