Register now to get rid of these ads!

Long LOST Customs/Hotrods.....let's start a list.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by SinisterCustom, Dec 19, 2007.

1. how about george barris' first kustom car built in high school while working at westergaurds?
    [​IMG]

or junior conways shoebox. which is one of the best looking shoeboxes ever.
    [​IMG]

george barris' 41 buick the car that put him on the map.
    [​IMG]

2. the bettancourt merc. supposedly started at ayala bros. before sam barris' 49 but finished after.
    [​IMG]

gil ayala's 40
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

this photo rocks! the shape, the wheels, the lettering and dust kicking up - just cool.

4. fenderless

fenderless
    from Norway

Two!

Nick Mantranga Merc!
    Lynn Yakel 32 5w Ford!

Taildragger&fenderless

5. saleen355

saleen355
    from ohio

i will try to have some pictures in the next mont or so

6. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

If you can pull that off you will be "the man" I was under the impression that Jim didnt allow people to take pictures....I would sure like to see it and the kookie car, good luck

7. Creature13

Creature13

I just got my hands on a 1930 Durant that has a "Puhl's House of Kustoms" tag on the cowel. It had the roof raised and has a moon shaped window in the back. It was turned into a road sign at some point. I just brought it home this weekend. Check it out...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

kbgreen likes this.
  8. bumpybigblok

bumpybigblok
    from Midwest

Anyone know what happened to Monogram's full scale BigT ? I sat in the original back in 72 when it was stored at a Kustom Shop in Van Nuys Ca. . It belonged to Tom Daniel at the time. I asked Him about it a while back and He says after he sold it in the 80's He lost track
    of the T.

9. Rikster

Rikster

I recently heard from reliable soarce (Jesse Lopez), that the car was totaled in 1952. Similar story to what happend to the Nick Matranga 1940 Merc. Jesse was in Korea, and had asked George Barris to sell his car for him.
    Danny Lares bought the car in September 1952 and soon thereafter he totaled it.... sad

[​IMG]

10. TSKieffer

TSKieffer

Anyone out there know where Marty Holmann's real steel 1915 T-Bucket went?

Attached Files:

11. SimonSez

SimonSez

It was at Starbirds Museum in August '05 ...

Attached Files:

• BigT.jpg
      BigT.jpg
      File size:
      96.5 KB
      Views:
  12. bumpybigblok

bumpybigblok
    from Midwest

The information I was able to learn says they did a search a few years back and were unable to find the original, so they made a
    clone. Thats whats on display, I believe. Someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

13. chrisman

chrisman

Now, that is one scary image!

14. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

Hahaha.....yeah...sorry man...:)

15. SimonSez

SimonSez

16. yeah...what he said!!!!!

Attached Files:

17. boo

boo
    from stuart,fl.

bought a car couple years ago,was keenan wynn's was used in the movie ''the other love'' have done a lot of body work on it, was a 1935 ford indy car. lot of controversy about this car ,ha ha i love it. man said he would kill me if i had this car.

18. this was on the show scene in the 60s/70s in the northwest any body seen this around lately??sorry about the pic I had trouble tryin to resize it

Attached Files:

19. Fuelerboy

Fuelerboy
    from England

Was just asking about the Gary Heliker Buick Naikhead powered 26 T roadster on another thread earlier. Would love to see some pictures of that sweet rod

FB

20. Jay Johnstons (Stylecraft customs, Bellflower, Ca.) shoebox.. This car was on the cover of the January 1955 Car Craft mag. Jay worked on several cars for barris and had a hand in the build of Larry Watson's Grapevine.. He played a major role in Larrys painting career in the early days....... (bragging rights)>> I own the last car Jay painted...

21. itsahemithing

itsahemithing

How about CLASSICAL GAS ,It came out here in the early 70`s & continued to race for a while.
    Check out www.rodderslife.com.au
    Michael the presenter owns it now.
    No mods since the 70`s,just a rebuild of the 426 HEMi last year
    :cool:

<center>

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

</center>

22. Not sure about the history on this but i just found this on craigs list here in tucson.chopped/channeled 40 ford pu..........it's for sale $7500.no idea about the owner never have seen the truck here in town

Attached Files:

23. Theo Douglas

Theo Douglas

Jay Johnston's car totally rules, especially the first version. I had no idea who built it--and I didn't know anything about Jay's history. Somebody should find this car, or at least write an article about it.

24. I have been looking for this car for a few years now.. I have original copies of the pics. from the photo shoot in '55 along with a few pics of the build. (they will be going to Larry Watson for his museum) I have pics of the car in its last form also.. Jay is a good friend of mine.. He let the car business go a very long time ago.. He is retired and taking it easy.. Larry and I are trying to get him down to the museum for some pics.

25. [​IMG]
    Ed Sloan's 1953 Plymouth called the "Pioneering Plymouth". I talked to Ed Sloan himself and he said he sold the car to a guy in East LA with the last name Del Rio. About a year after the Del-Rio guy was killed. Ive got the great state of CA helping me track down the last reg. owner.

[​IMG]
    Doug Landwer's 1953 Plymouth. Doug passed away a few years ago, but I was able to talk to his sisters and they told me he sold it to a club mate in Bakersfield, CA. They couldn't remember the clubs name though.

26. Johnny Deluxe

Johnny Deluxe

I would love to see The Gary Heliker T also. I guess no one knows what happened to it?, there is another thread with a couple of photos. That car is one of my favorites from the late 50's early 60's Amazing all the way around, I love the color of the paint , interior and chrome reverse rims, the fenders actually look good . It had show and go. They did a road test in a 1962 issue of Rod & Custom.

Also another car that would be cool to re-create is Texan Drag Racer's Don Breithaupt's 32 ford 5 window that had a red 265 with GMC blower known as the "DCB coupe" . Don told me that he sold it in the early sixties and the Truck and trailer turned over or just the car on the trailer? and it went to the junkyard.

27. rodncustom

rodncustom

If found, the biggest splash, in my opinion, would be made by the So Cal Plating deliver vehicle.

28. Billybobdad

Billybobdad

What happened to real version of this one????? "The Big Deuce" Saw it on display at a shopping center way back in the day. Mom had to pry me away from it.

[​IMG]

29. I saw Don Breithaupt at last years LoneStar Roundup..talked to him about a clone of the DCB coupe...He is interested just cant get goin...Has plenty of pics of it...He will probably be there again this year....

30. showrod

showrod

a friend swears to me a guy he knows owned the big deuce and modernized it. he eventually sold off the pieces he removed at a swap meet including the firewall piece with the gauges. I dont want to start a rumor I'm just repeating what I was told by a credible source. someone out there who owns it probabally doesnt even know its famous past, just another steel deuce roadster.:eek: