Register now to get rid of these ads!

Home brew shop tools....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mr. Creosote, Sep 25, 2006.

1. Mr. Creosote

Mr. Creosote

I'd like to see some pics and constructions details on home made shop tools. Specifically hydraulic presses, drill press jigs and any other ingenious things you may have fabricated up. This may be something for Tech Week, but any cool ideas on how you press bearings and u-joints etc. in your garages would be great to share.

2. Redneck Smooth

Redneck Smooth
    from Cincinnati

Dabirdguy put together a pretty sweet rotisserie mostly made out of metal sourced from the CinDay Rodders secret FREE metal spot. Perhaps he'll post pics later...

3. t-town-track-t

t-town-track-t
    from Tulsa

DAMN, I was hoping this thread was going to be about home brewing! We got any other brewers out there?

4. heavytlc

heavytlc

Made a leafspring press the other day. I went to harborfreight and bought a 20ton air over hydro bottle jack. I used a scrap of 6x6x1/4 angle iron, a few lengths of 2x3x3/16 square tube, and 2 pcs of 2x4x1/4 square tube. I made it so that I could mount it in my bench vise, it will get a reicever so I can mount it on my welding table.
    It worked great. I reversed the eyes on my 1956 f100 springs in about an hour. The whole thing cost as much as one aftermarket reversed eye spring. I just wanted to do it for pleasure, not to save money, but saving money is good too.

5. We need a TECH on this with photos and measurements. PM me a sketch and I'll draw it up on AutoCAD.

6. Primo

Primo

7. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

i made a quick rotisserie out of a couple of VW engine stands i had layin around. just had to lengthen them a lil. thats a merc in the pic. works great and it was cheap.

Attached Files:

8. Mr. Creosote

Mr. Creosote

Your bead roller is awsome!!! I can only aspire to be able to do that kind of work. Great job. I was hoping to see more presses. I have monkeyd so many things apart and together with just my vice and ballpeen hammer. I really want a press. Plus I thought it would be a good tech thread to see the things people have fabricated to get things done. The spring bender is a great example. Simple and effective. Thanks everyone...

Oops.. I ment to post in this thread... Not the other one...

9. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

I made a leaf spring spreader out of a tractor turnbuckle, a couple bolts and some steel tube. I just gotta make an attatchment that will allow me to spread a reversed spring.

10. Redneck Smooth

Redneck Smooth
    from Cincinnati

I second the request for more presses. I need one and have a couple old bottle jacks and a shitload of rectangle and square tube. I have some ideas, but it'd be nice to see one in practice...

11. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This is going to be an awesome thread! That vintage projects website was a great look-thru! The bead roller is SUPREME above! Was thinking seriously about doing that too!!

BTTT!!!

12. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

BTTT for this one... Keep it going.

13. Yes we need more!How about drill press fixtures?

14. Mike Rouse

Mike Rouse

15. I really dig the lathe you built any construction photo's:D

16. Mike Rouse

Mike Rouse

I should have said Sheetmetal working machines, yea that's it.
    Mike

17. chad

chad

How did ya build the slip roll?

18. slddnmatt - you got any more pics like that..

I am doing some research and like to see pics of the undercarriage..

let em know.

tok

19. Mike Rouse

Mike Rouse

I made it using 1 1/2" schedule 80 pipe for the rollers.
    I made it without a lathe. I very carefully fitted the 7/8" rods into disks that I welded into the ends. The end frames were made in pairs welded together. the slots are flatbar welded into a box then welded into some 1" plate. the bearings are 7/8" nuts drilled and split they are soft and work fine.
    It was all carefully layed out and welded with my Lincoln 180 amp ac welding machine.
    Take your time plan well and you can do it too.
    Mike

20. Paul

Paul
    Editor

maybe one of thse days I'll build one of these..

looks damn simple

Attached Files:

21. Here's my drill press. Dad made it back in the fifties when he was in high school.

The small metal shear/brake was made by my Grandpa Kroeker in the late seventies.

Attached Files:

22. Home-made puller.
    Originally set up for an 8 ton hydraulic jack.
    Pulls harder with a 1" NF bolt.
    Adapted to pull a 50 Plymouth hub, also adapts to other stuff.

Leaf spring spreader.
    All-Thread. coupler nuts, flat plates, some welding.

Chassis rail puller-together-thingy.
    Works well, pulls the frame rails in to set up for crossmember installation as well as it has some latitude for squaring up the frame rails one with the other.
    More All-Thread, coupler nuts, couple of drilled pieces of 1" x 2" rectangular tubing, washers and nuts.
    Beats juggling a couple of pipe clamps.

Wheel drill jig.
    This one set up for tapping holes in a mag wheel so as to attach home-made hubcaps or the adapters for attaching 32 re-pro caps to a mag wheel.

Couple of 1/4" aluminum wedge spacers for bandsaw use.
    They go on the back of the vise to space it out correctly when bandsawing small parts.
    Without a spacer you can't clamp small pieces for sawing.

No hammering required Dzus Button countersink tool.
    I've made these by the dozens.
    Quick and easy.
    Beats heck out of the $30.+ commercial ones that require a hammer and backup.
    This tool and two wrenches gets you a nicely done countersink.

Attached Files:

23. dabirdguy

dabirdguy
    Member Emeritus

24. I wish you would! Your tech posts are always very detailed and easy to follow, with lots of good photos.

25. I'll get some pictures. The key is the blades. I've got another set I think. If I can find them they're yours if you're interested. Anything but light though. Gonna have to setup a HAMB relay.

26. Ajtofelfa

Ajtofelfa

My brother made this bead roller:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

27. Did he build it totally from scratch? Got any plans?