Welcome to the THE H.A.M.B. forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   THE H.A.M.B. > General Discussion > The Hokey Ass Message Board

Old 10-28-2008, 06:28 AM   #1
Ryan
Administrator

Default The Little Red Wagon

"I was contacted by Dodge to do a tuff truck t.v. commercial in and around 1965. They showed me the truck. It was a Dodge A-100 compact pickup modified with a 426 Hemi. They told me the truck would run fast on all four wheels. I thought to myself, ...

To read the rest of this blog entry from The Jalopy Journal, click here.
offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 07:08 AM   #2
Lobucrod
Alliance Member

Default Re: The Little Red Wagon

Too bad the commercial didnt show it with the wheels up all the way through the 1/4.
When I was a freshman in High School in 66 a buddy's dad let us take a trip in his 64 Galaxy 2 dr hard top to the Amarillo dragway to the winternationals. We got to see the Little Red Wagon, Backup Pickup, and Hemi Under Glass. There was one more there, an Econoline Van from Hobbs N.M. I cant remember the name of it but im sure it will come to me later. Of course all the top fuelers were there too.
Man I thought I had died and gone to heaven. Too bad I didnt have a camera with me.
Old 10-28-2008, 07:39 AM   #3
xbtnikx

awesome video! i was obsessed with this machine as a child, even wrote Bill a letter.. his daughter ended up writing back, sent me some photographs as well!
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 10-28-2008, 07:48 AM   #4
wlspdshop
Alliance Member

My father-in-law in KC remembers The Little Red Wagon coming to town and it would sit at a little gas station a few days before the drags. Him and his buddies would always go down and check it out and watch it on the weekends. Thanks for posting!
Old 10-28-2008, 11:14 AM   #5
LXTURBO2000
Grenade Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobucrod View Post
Too bad the commercial didnt show it with the wheels up all the way through the 1/4.
When I was a freshman in High School in 66 a buddy's dad let us take a trip in his 64 Galaxy 2 dr hard top to the Amarillo dragway to the winternationals. We got to see the Little Red Wagon, Backup Pickup, and Hemi Under Glass. There was one more there, an Econoline Van from Hobbs N.M. I cant remember the name of it but im sure it will come to me later. Of course all the top fuelers were there too.
Man I thought I had died and gone to heaven. Too bad I didnt have a camera with me.
could have been the mexican jumping bean. they are still running a wheelstander today.
Old 10-28-2008, 11:48 AM   #6
Lobucrod
Alliance Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LXTURBO2000 View Post
could have been the mexican jumping bean. they are still running a wheelstander today.
Yep thats the one. I saw it run at the Hobbs Dragway the last time I was there in about 94
Old 10-12-2009, 04:55 PM   #7
ronnie tidwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobucrod View Post
propaby pets's MEXICAN JUMPIN BEAN only wheelstander, besides
Tommy McNeely's ford falcon in west texas in last 25 years or so
Old 08-25-2010, 05:52 AM   #8
customcory

This is realkustom51's avatar. Thats me and my brother at a ISCA show in Charlotte , N.C. This is a old thread, but I just seen it, had to add this. I remember it like yesterday.

Name:  user32470_pic182162_1272886760_thumb.jpg
Views: 1248
Size:  7.9 KB
Old 10-28-2008, 07:56 AM   #9
BigNick1959

www.nick-solovey.artistwebsites.com
photography.
Old 10-28-2008, 09:59 AM   #10
barney rubble
Grenade Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigNick1959 View Post
Seen this a couple of years ago at the Mopar Nationals on a trailer. Golden give it to one of his old buddies and he put the front axle back under it and the original tires & wheels on the front and was showing it beside the present one. Some company gave him some clear perservative to spray on it to keep it from deteriorating further. A nice piece of racing history that was getting a lot of lookers.
Old 10-28-2008, 10:47 AM   #11
tommy
Old School HAMBer

I bet everyone that ever saw it in person can tell you where and when they saw it for the first time. 6" wheelies were common but to see him carry them down the track for the first time made your jaw drop. Then all the clones appeared and it became almost normal.
Old 10-15-2009, 11:46 PM   #12
George T G
Grenade Inspector

Smile Re: The Little Red Wagon

I can't get the pic to show up but that is me. I rescued it from Bill's yard. washed a good wheelbarrow of mud from in and under it. We relettered the one side and coated it with a POR product. I first showed at at EnglishTown Mopar show. Garlets was there and we all made TV. Mavericks comments was "your truck is getting more attention than my truck" Garlets wanted it for his museum but it is still in Tamaqua Pa.
GEORGE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by barney rubble View Post
Seen this a couple of years ago at the Mopar Nationals on a trailer. Golden give it to one of his old buddies and he put the front axle back under it and the original tires & wheels on the front and was showing it beside the present one. Some company gave him some clear perservative to spray on it to keep it from deteriorating further. A nice piece of racing history that was getting a lot of lookers.
Old 09-01-2010, 05:00 AM   #13
barney rubble
Grenade Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by George T G View Post
I can't get the pic to show up but that is me. I rescued it from Bill's yard. washed a good wheelbarrow of mud from in and under it. We relettered the one side and coated it with a POR product. I first showed at at EnglishTown Mopar show. Garlets was there and we all made TV. Mavericks comments was "your truck is getting more attention than my truck" Garlets wanted it for his museum but it is still in Tamaqua Pa.
GEORGE!!
I havnt been on here for a while but it seems like this thread just lives on like the LRW.

George nice to hear from you. I spent a lot of time looking at the truck that weekend in Columbus when you had it there. Take good care of her its deffinatly a part of history.
Old 03-27-2009, 10:22 PM   #14
mr.smith
Grenade Inspector

what a shame to great racing history, however at least its still around

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigNick1959 View Post
Old 10-28-2008, 08:17 AM   #15
067chevy

In 1965 I was 3 years old and we lived in Dallas. We moved back to Nebraska a little while later and when I was a kid I remember my dad telling me he saw the truck run at a track near Dallas. Wish I could remember seeing it.
Old 10-28-2008, 08:35 AM   #16
50mercfan

i saw the little red wagon run at beach bend when i was about 3 years old, i do remember. it ran against an army tank called "hell on wheels". i'll never forget the sparks flying off the tailgate. that was about 1971. scarred me for life. all of us 3 year olds should have gotten together to play lincoln logs or something.

online   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 08:33 PM   #17
Mike Miller
Alliance Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 067chevy View Post
In 1965 I was 3 years old and we lived in Dallas. We moved back to Nebraska a little while later and when I was a kid I remember my dad telling me he saw the truck run at a track near Dallas. Wish I could remember seeing it.
In 65 I was drag racing in Pennsylvania when that truck did a tour, saw it do a wheelie the length of the track.
Old 10-28-2008, 08:38 AM   #18
067chevy

I can't remember anything when I was 3 years old.
Old 10-28-2008, 08:39 AM   #19
067chevy

I remember Hell on wheels. Anyone have any pictures of it?
Old 03-27-2009, 10:46 AM   #20
GOLDEN1
FNG

Default HELL ON WHEELS Pic 4 Ya

Click image for larger version

Name:	hell on wheels.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	121.0 KB
ID:	627895