Welcome to the THE H.A.M.B. forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   THE H.A.M.B. > General Discussion > The Hokey Ass Message Board

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2008, 06:28 AM   #1
Ryan
Administrator
 
Ryan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 1995
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 14,451
Default The Little Red Wagon

"I was contacted by Dodge to do a tuff truck t.v. commercial in and around 1965. They showed me the truck. It was a Dodge A-100 compact pickup modified with a 426 Hemi. They told me the truck would run fast on all four wheels. I thought to myself, ...

To read the rest of this blog entry from The Jalopy Journal, click here.
offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 07:08 AM   #2
Lobucrod
Alliance Member
 
Lobucrod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Springtown, Tx
Posts: 3,897
Default Re: The Little Red Wagon

Too bad the commercial didnt show it with the wheels up all the way through the 1/4.
When I was a freshman in High School in 66 a buddy's dad let us take a trip in his 64 Galaxy 2 dr hard top to the Amarillo dragway to the winternationals. We got to see the Little Red Wagon, Backup Pickup, and Hemi Under Glass. There was one more there, an Econoline Van from Hobbs N.M. I cant remember the name of it but im sure it will come to me later. Of course all the top fuelers were there too.
Man I thought I had died and gone to heaven. Too bad I didnt have a camera with me.
__________________
Makin it Git with Old Shit
offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 07:39 AM   #3
xbtnikx
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: ft. lauderdale, florida
Posts: 65
Default Re: The Little Red Wagon

awesome video! i was obsessed with this machine as a child, even wrote Bill a letter.. his daughter ended up writing back, sent me some photographs as well!
offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 10-28-2008, 07:48 AM   #4
wlspdshop
Alliance Member
 
wlspdshop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: North Dakota
Posts: 1,562
Default Re: The Little Red Wagon

My father-in-law in KC remembers The Little Red Wagon coming to town and it would sit at a little gas station a few days before the drags. Him and his buddies would always go down and check it out and watch it on the weekends. Thanks for posting!
offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 11:14 AM   #5
LXTURBO2000
Grenade Inspector
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: NEW MEXICO
Posts: 122
Default Re: The Little Red Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobucrod View Post
Too bad the commercial didnt show it with the wheels up all the way through the 1/4.
When I was a freshman in High School in 66 a buddy's dad let us take a trip in his 64 Galaxy 2 dr hard top to the Amarillo dragway to the winternationals. We got to see the Little Red Wagon, Backup Pickup, and Hemi Under Glass. There was one more there, an Econoline Van from Hobbs N.M. I cant remember the name of it but im sure it will come to me later. Of course all the top fuelers were there too.
Man I thought I had died and gone to heaven. Too bad I didnt have a camera with me.
could have been the mexican jumping bean. they are still running a wheelstander today.
offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 11:48 AM   #6
Lobucrod
Alliance Member
 
Lobucrod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Springtown, Tx
Posts: 3,897
Default Re: The Little Red Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by LXTURBO2000 View Post
could have been the mexican jumping bean. they are still running a wheelstander today.
Yep thats the one. I saw it run at the Hobbs Dragway the last time I was there in about 94
__________________
Makin it Git with Old Shit
offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 04:55 PM   #7
ronnie tidwell
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: odessa tx
Posts: 97
Default Re: The Little Red Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobucrod View Post
Too bad the commercial didnt show it with the wheels up all the way through the 1/4.
When I was a freshman in High School in 66 a buddy's dad let us take a trip in his 64 Galaxy 2 dr hard top to the Amarillo dragway to the winternationals. We got to see the Little Red Wagon, Backup Pickup, and Hemi Under Glass. There was one more there, an Econoline Van from Hobbs N.M. I cant remember the name of it but im sure it will come to me later. Of course all the top fuelers were there too.
Man I thought I had died and gone to heaven. Too bad I didnt have a camera with me.
propaby pets's MEXICAN JUMPIN BEAN only wheelstander, besides
Tommy McNeely's ford falcon in west texas in last 25 years or so
offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 05:52 AM   #8
customcory
Senior Member
 
customcory's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: hickory,n.c.
Posts: 1,831
Default Re: The Little Red Wagon

This is realkustom51's avatar. Thats me and my brother at a ISCA show in Charlotte , N.C. This is a old thread, but I just seen it, had to add this. I remember it like yesterday.

Name:  user32470_pic182162_1272886760_thumb.jpg
Views: 1248
Size:  7.9 KB
offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 07:56 AM   #9
BigNick1959
Member
 
BigNick1959's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Kenosha, Wi
Posts: 643
Default Re: The Little Red Wagon

__________________
www.garageno7.com
Pinstriping,lettering plus

www.nick-solovey.artistwebsites.com
photography.
offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 09:59 AM   #10
barney rubble
Grenade Inspector
 
barney rubble's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Southern Indiana
Posts: 342
Default Re: The Little Red Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigNick1959 View Post
Seen this a couple of years ago at the Mopar Nationals on a trailer. Golden give it to one of his old buddies and he put the front axle back under it and the original tires & wheels on the front and was showing it beside the present one. Some company gave him some clear perservative to spray on it to keep it from deteriorating further. A nice piece of racing history that was getting a lot of lookers.
offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 10:47 AM   #11
tommy
Old School HAMBer
 
tommy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Davidsonville, Md.
Posts: 14,391
Default Re: The Little Red Wagon

I bet everyone that ever saw it in person can tell you where and when they saw it for the first time. 6" wheelies were common but to see him carry them down the track for the first time made your jaw drop. Then all the clones appeared and it became almost normal.
__________________
Quote...You are hereby Knighted...'Sir Asseth of Hole' Tommy... 3W Larry.
Quote...It's called "HOT RODDING", not paint by numbers....Fab32
offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 11:46 PM   #12
George T G
Grenade Inspector
 
George T G's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: N.E. Pa . ,Tamaqua
Posts: 225
Smile Re: The Little Red Wagon

I can't get the pic to show up but that is me. I rescued it from Bill's yard. washed a good wheelbarrow of mud from in and under it. We relettered the one side and coated it with a POR product. I first showed at at EnglishTown Mopar show. Garlets was there and we all made TV. Mavericks comments was "your truck is getting more attention than my truck" Garlets wanted it for his museum but it is still in Tamaqua Pa.
GEORGE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by barney rubble View Post
Seen this a couple of years ago at the Mopar Nationals on a trailer. Golden give it to one of his old buddies and he put the front axle back under it and the original tires & wheels on the front and was showing it beside the present one. Some company gave him some clear perservative to spray on it to keep it from deteriorating further. A nice piece of racing history that was getting a lot of lookers.
offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 05:00 AM   #13
barney rubble
Grenade Inspector
 
barney rubble's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Southern Indiana
Posts: 342
Default Re: The Little Red Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by George T G View Post
I can't get the pic to show up but that is me. I rescued it from Bill's yard. washed a good wheelbarrow of mud from in and under it. We relettered the one side and coated it with a POR product. I first showed at at EnglishTown Mopar show. Garlets was there and we all made TV. Mavericks comments was "your truck is getting more attention than my truck" Garlets wanted it for his museum but it is still in Tamaqua Pa.
GEORGE!!
I havnt been on here for a while but it seems like this thread just lives on like the LRW.

George nice to hear from you. I spent a lot of time looking at the truck that weekend in Columbus when you had it there. Take good care of her its deffinatly a part of history.
offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 10:22 PM   #14
mr.smith
Grenade Inspector
 
mr.smith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Toronto, ON
Posts: 204
Default Re: The Little Red Wagon

what a shame to great racing history, however at least its still around

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigNick1959 View Post
offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 08:17 AM   #15
067chevy
Senior Member
 
067chevy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Grand Island,Ne.
Posts: 2,178
Default Re: The Little Red Wagon

In 1965 I was 3 years old and we lived in Dallas. We moved back to Nebraska a little while later and when I was a kid I remember my dad telling me he saw the truck run at a track near Dallas. Wish I could remember seeing it.
__________________
Tim
JT Enterprises Auto Transport
offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 08:35 AM   #16
50mercfan
Senior Member
 
50mercfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Henderson, KY. (the hendo)
Posts: 2,195
Default Re: The Little Red Wagon

i saw the little red wagon run at beach bend when i was about 3 years old, i do remember. it ran against an army tank called "hell on wheels". i'll never forget the sparks flying off the tailgate. that was about 1971. scarred me for life. all of us 3 year olds should have gotten together to play lincoln logs or something.

online   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 08:33 PM   #17
Mike Miller
Alliance Member
 
Mike Miller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: LaPine Oregon
Posts: 1,721
Default Re: The Little Red Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by 067chevy View Post
In 1965 I was 3 years old and we lived in Dallas. We moved back to Nebraska a little while later and when I was a kid I remember my dad telling me he saw the truck run at a track near Dallas. Wish I could remember seeing it.
In 65 I was drag racing in Pennsylvania when that truck did a tour, saw it do a wheelie the length of the track.
__________________
Plan ahead, that way you don't have to do anything right now.
H.A.M.B v8-60 Social Group.
offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 08:38 AM   #18
067chevy
Senior Member
 
067chevy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Grand Island,Ne.
Posts: 2,178
Default Re: The Little Red Wagon

I can't remember anything when I was 3 years old.
__________________
Tim
JT Enterprises Auto Transport
offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 08:39 AM   #19
067chevy
Senior Member
 
067chevy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Grand Island,Ne.
Posts: 2,178
Default Re: The Little Red Wagon

I remember Hell on wheels. Anyone have any pictures of it?
__________________
Tim
JT Enterprises Auto Transport
offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 10:46 AM   #20
GOLDEN1
FNG
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: PALM HARBOR,FLORIDA
Posts: 1
Default HELL ON WHEELS Pic 4 Ya

Click image for larger version

Name:	hell on wheels.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	121.0 KB
ID:	627895
offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:35 AM.