Register now to get rid of these ads!

Oh, NO! The Alexander Woodie Collection to be sold

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mazooma1, May 6, 2009.

1. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

The unbelievable Nick Alexander Woodie Collection looks like its going to be broken up at auction this summer. Many of us HAMBers have enjoyed the annual "open house" at Nick's restoration shops in Los Angeles each February. Sad to think that will not happen again....:(:(:(

http://www.rmauctions.com/CarList.cfm?SaleCode=NA09

http://www.rmauctions.com/Nick-Alexander-Bio.cfm?SaleCode=NA09

http://www.rmauctions.com/FeatureCars.cfm?SaleCode=NA09

[​IMG] <map name="Map"> <area shape="rect" coords="473,539,971,561" href="http://www.rmauctions.com/Nick-Alexander-Bio.cfm?SaleCode=NA09"> <area shape="rect" coords="347,570,971,592" href="http://www.rmauctions.com/Default.cfm?SaleCode=NA09"> <area shape="rect" coords="343,601,970,622" href="http://www.rmauctions.com/FeatureCars.cfm?SaleCode=NA09"> <area shape="rect" coords="1,1,258,107" href="http://wwww.rmauctions.com"> </map>
    © 2009 RM Auctions - All Rights Reserved | Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact Us
    HOME | SITEMAP
    +1 519 352 4575

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: May 6, 2009
  2. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

3. Casey

Casey
    Member Emeritus

that`s a shame what a great collection they should drive them all to the beach one more time and have the auction there

4. plan9

plan9

that sucks. ... any word if the swap meet will continue, even without the show?

5. Special Ed

Special Ed

Wow! that is a terrible collection to split up.... bummer deal

6. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

OK whats reasonable for a woodie? Lets go and loball all of em and do our part and have woodies!

7. Thats it thats what I would do with my winnings. I wish

8. I get a woody every time I look at those cars! I especially like the Ford Marmon-Herrington 4x4 woody wagon - that thing is rolling art at its finest! I am about $150K shy of getting any of these cars, though.

9. RancheroMan

RancheroMan

kinda sad, but maybe they need room for more projects? i'm sure they'll go to a good home.

10. Always sad to see a collection broken up. This guy seemed to have the right idea with his too, unfortunately the new buyers may not be so enlightened.

11. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

[​IMG]
    <table class="details fullwidth"><tbody><tr> <td><object data="/Flash/sf_FuturaSTD-Light.swf" name="sIFR_replacement_12" id="sIFR_replacement_12" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" class="sIFR-flash" height="34" width="620">

</object>Nick Alexander
    </td> </tr> <tr> <td> Now that he's achieved his classic car goals, Nick looks forward to sharing his collection with other enthusiasts who will cherish his Woodies as he has. His new-found free time will be spent with his young grandchildren and raising horses.
    </td></tr></tbody></table>

12. 327-365hp

327-365hp
    from Mass

I heard the city was taking the property by eminent domain. Which is a real kick in the ass after Alexander refurbed those buildings when no one else wanted them.

13. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

no, as stated above, he's just going to retire. I wouldn't read anything into this unless you have a news article about this...

14. Old-Soul

Old-Soul

Pfffft whats the big deal? It's just a bunch of rolling firewood!

(kidding Doug!)

Hell of a collection, hopefully the new owners treat them with the respect that this man has.

15. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

Dam sweet woodies..I'd give my left nut for one of those

16. My left nut, a couple of acorns, and a pretty sizeable bat!

17. Elmo Rodge

Elmo Rodge

I have spent many happy hours wandering through those cars. I'm glad I got a chance to see them. Wayno

18. Solidaxel

Solidaxel

......... W O W, the memories I have of walking through that "Woodie Factory" will now remain forever in my mind !

19. I love that collection, especially the sedan delivery.
    I would love to crunch the numbers for when he started to collect, restoration costs, time frame, just to see what the investment produced.

20. Bigdaddy

Bigdaddy
    BANNED

All with No reserve??

21. I see no problem with collections being broken up. People cried in their beer when the Harrah collection was auctioned off. It puts cars back into the hands of people who may never have had a chance to own some of these cars and maybe drive them and bring them to cruise night. Some will be bought and immediately hidden away, but many others will be enjoyed as they were intended. It's not as if the crusher is waiting out side. There is no tragedy

22. sawzall

sawzall

this is significant, Alexanders collection is perhaps the pinnacle of the woodie world.. I am sad that I never had the oppertunity to visit him or his open house..

although this is a bad time to sell.. this collection certainly carries the provenance to attract the right buyers.. if any of these cars fail to meet the rm auction estimate they will have been a bargain..

I agree that the marmon harrington 4x4 is cool.. but the mercury sportsman is reportedly 1 of 1 still in existence.

23. hemifarris

hemifarris

Beautiful long time collection............seems sad, although he's moving on.

24. mj40's

mj40's

Nick is going to keep a dozen cars , The city is taking the building and Nick is tired of fighting with him. that’s where its at now. A friend that does car tours in Calif. JUST GOT OFF THE PHONE WITH SO-CAL AND THE KENNEDY BROS ABOUT THIS
    Now which 6 would you keep! Hard decision to make with all being so cool.

25. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

I just don't see the downside of this collection being auctioned off. First it's wonderful that someone had the vision AND resourses to amass all of these. Second, while they are where they are it's just a static display and as far as I know there was never a car built that had no other function than just sit. After they are sold some will go to collections and continue to SIT but hopefully most will get driven and enjoyed and be seen doing what cars were meant to do.......................DRIVE.

Frank

26. mj40's

mj40's

I agree with Carl La Fong and Fab32. I have been known to walk across the display areas at a function to look at a woody. Maybe next time there may be more to see out in the public and the walk will be less.

27. I just saw Nick on the 5 south near Dodger stadium last week driving a 47 woodie. You couldn't meet a nicer guy.

28. SEE!!!! I told you Mike....

29. L110Mike

L110Mike
    from North OC

As far as them sitting, I don't think they sit very often. about 2 years ago, Nick gave my pops and I a private tour. one of the comments he said was, "all these cars are ready to drive to San Francisco right now." He was pretty proud of that, and he's got some great stories about driving his cars with his crew and shop foreman across the country. He's the real deal and drives his cars, i can assure you of that.

30. publicenemy1925

publicenemy1925
    from OKC, OK

Gives me a woodie just looking at them.