Register now to get rid of these ads!

Chevy 250 six or mopar slant six?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by DIRTYT, May 21, 2007.

1. DIRTYT

DIRTYT
    from Warren,MI

I know nothing about Mopar but i know the both of these motors are tuff as nails. What are some pro's and con's of these two.
    The mopar seems to be a bit more costly for headers and intake and what not but thats about as far as ive looked into it. Im sure this will be a epic battle. But im a chevy guy and need to know why i should pick the slant six.

Thanks
    Bryan

2. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

you should pick the slant six if you are a mopar guy, or putting it in a mopar based car.

a slant six in anything but a mopar would be goofy.

3. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

...of course Tex Smith put one in a car back in the 60's that won AMBR. it wasn't a mopar... but it wasn't really anything else either

4. DIRTYT

DIRTYT
    from Warren,MI

Its a mopar based car thats the only reason im thinking about it. Other wise it would get a sbc cause i like them more. but this car needs to have a six in it.

5. twofosho

twofosho

The Slant six has the very deserved reputation of being just about the most reliable (or as you say "tough as nails"), and longest lasting motor anyone ever made, for anything, period!

In four barrel 170 CI HyperPak NASCAR guise in 1961, it ran off and left the best six cylinder offerings Ford and Chevrolet had to compete with it.

One time I bought a 74 Dodge Dart 2 Dr Ht, after the noise it was making caught my ear. No, it wasn't a loud exhaust that got my attention. It was parked on the street and the old man that had it was free revving the motor trying to figure out why it was making a knocking sound and the knock was so loud we could hear it from inside our car while driving down a street two blocks away. I pulled up, asked the old man what was wrong, offered him 50 bucks, and ended up driving the car home when he took it. When I finally got around to pulling the motor down, I found a rod journal half it's normal size, and the rod bearing long gone. And it had still ran good enough to get around town in when I pulled it down! That's how tough a slant six is. Sold the car not too long after I fixed it and immediately wished I hadn't.

I've currently got a Plymouth Duster with a slant six, that's been around the clock AT LEAST 3 times, and I'm just getting to the point where I think I might want take out the motor, and that's only because I want to stuff my 340 in it. When that finally does happen, I'll probably take the slant, freshen it up a little, and stick it in a T roadster I've just about got all the bits to screw together. Oh, with the slant six and OD 4 speed, the Duster still gets over 31 miles per gallon on the highway. Just think what it might do freshened up and in a 1600 pound roadster.

6. gasser52

gasser52
    BANNED

go with the 250 or a sbc, slant sixes are ugly in my opinion

7. DIRTYT

DIRTYT
    from Warren,MI

they are weird looking thats for sure... But i like this 31 mpg.

8. twofosho

twofosho

The Tex Smith Hot Rod Magazine feature car was a steel 27 T roadster on a simple rectangular tube frame, had an aluminum slant six with 3 dual choke Weber carburetors, gorgeous bodywork done by a variety of well known at the time customizers, white tuck and roll upolstery, and it did win the America's Most Beautiful Roadster Trophy.

9. twofosho

twofosho

How about this; a row of side draft SU carbs (probably a lot cheaper to try than Webers and easier to find than side draft Carters) on a manifold made of straight tubes and six pipes running out over the frame rail, curving down and flowing into a megaphone shaped exhaust pipe one at a time (about the most traditional lake style exhaust that ever was, but if you can't picture it, just look at pictures of Indy cars from around the 40s). With the right dress, this motor looks anything but weird or odd.

10. tragic59

tragic59

These guys should be able to talk you into it:

www.slantsix.org
    www.slantsix.com

There are forums and tech articles on each site.

The OD 4 speed tranny behind twofosho's 6 is still relatively easy to come by. There are 2 of them in D100 pickups behind slant 6's in the local junkyard. I'm thinking of pulling them for future projects...

11. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

I'd go slant six, because you're far away enough from me to steal my slant six parts! Hahaha!!!!

Sounds like you've never had a hopped up slant six in a little Valiant!!

12. flatoz

flatoz

They dont call them the 'leaning tower of power' for no reason

13. teddyp

teddyp

both are good motors the chevy looks good hop up (my 2 cents) the slant 6 not a good looking motor but keep oil changed and it will run for ever

14. GMC BUBBA

GMC BUBBA
    Member Emeritus

I have both and would go with the slant six. Our Krylon special is a 1918 Dodge roadster and has a slant in it. Runs really good.

I have a 225 Slant sitting on the engine stand i would sell ya for $1100 bucks.
    It is a used running engine with a comp cams camshaft, offy four barrell intake with holley carb, new set of clifford headers ( coated), a stall convertor, auto transmission and a mallory dual point dist.
    A pretty complete package with a lot of expensive speed parts.
    Motor complete with trans running.......

15. REJ

REJ
    from FLA

Go with the slant. Yes I am partial to them.
    I'm running one in in my t-bucket that had 96,000 when I pulled it out of the car, made an intake and headers, and bolted a 471 blower on top. It has been running for five years, will boost up to 15lbs and it is still going strong.
    Also have one in my HA/GR, will let you know how it runs after next weekend. It is bone stock with a homemade manifold, two Carter two bbls and homemade headers. It had 68,000 on it and I put it in the frame and have done nothing to it.

16. I'm partial to them as well and would go with the Slant Six. Tough as nails, you can get moderate performance out of them and maintain good fuel economy.

17. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from so cal

Go with the slant. Ya can't kill them, and it's good to be different.

If you really don't like the lean....build a Mopar flathead six for it and be really different. They will run forever too.

18. BJR

BJR

Look at the firewall of the car you are putting it in, and measure the slant 6. Tried to put a slant 6 in an old International to replace the stock flathead 6. It would not fit as the slant 6 valve cover is on the passenger side where the heater was. It would of required cutting up the firewall big time. The slant 6 is a neat engine but hard to fit in anything but what it came out of, do to interferance with the head. Good luck, Brian

19. Tricknology

Tricknology
    from DETROIT

VERY good point about the fire wall!!

Dirty T----

I live in the next town over, Eastpointe ( East Detroit),,,

I have been involved with Oval racing since about 12, and we used to race 6 cyl's at Mt Clemmons and Checked Flag In windsor,,,first car I helped out on was a 61 ford galaxie with a built 223 6 cyl. finished second in points in about 1970 on the 1/4 mile dirt.

Flat Rock Speedway ( south of Detroit) still has a 6 cyl Figure 8 class, most of these teams have switched over to the 4.3 liter V6 engine,,,but they still have a lot of BUILT 250 chevy inline 6 's sitting in the barn,,and they will sell them very cheap,,,,these engiens typically had the 194 6 head with big V8 valves installed, High torque cam ( lots of lift short duration) that would work on the street, Falt top pistons for about 10 to 1 comp ratio, racing oil pan, and a 4 barrel Clifford intake. ( i know of one you can get for about $999 or best offer,,, complete)

If your interested PM me and I will give some Phone #'s of these old racers,, they do not use the internet,,, they have been racing 6's for decades and just ahve stuff stashed away.

20. Tricknology

Tricknology
    from DETROIT

IN mY huMblE oPINion,,,

IF I was putting an Inline six in an old Mopar,,,the best inline 6 candidate that is Cheap, Plentiful, Locally available, Realiable, Powerfull, comes with a 5 speed stick or 4 speed auto (both have overdrive),,,

would be the Mopar Jeep cherokee 4.0 liter ( 242 ci ) inline 6 cyl. this engine is better, and cheaper, than a slant six or a 250 chevby six.

Read this link below,,,lots of HAMBERs use this engine,,,

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=179809

21. squirrel

squirrel

I don't know why everyone loves the slant 6 so much, they are kind of crappy engines, they lean over so far because mopar didn't go with a short stroke like the rest of the world did when they designed it in the late 50s....instead they leaned it over so it would fit under the new low hoodlines of their stylish modern cars. They don't have enough power to tear themselves up....

chrysler developed the slant 6 about the same time they did away with the early hemi, the idiots!

The first slant 6 I worked on was a rebuild at 120k, it was plumb wore out. Maybe it was the only one that never had it's oil changed? I dont know...but it usually leaked oil and didn't like puddles (point dist sitting essentially on the bottom of the engine).

But hey, if you're building a mopar and don't want to try to scrounge flathead 6 speed equipment (I don't blame you!) then go for it...you'll surely get lots of interest especially if there's no hood on the car. The 12 port head will give you lots of performance options, you could build a pretty wild intake and exhuast setup for it.

22. SanDiegoJoe

SanDiegoJoe

I have both engines, 2 Slants in Valiants and a 250 Chevy in my C-10... the big upside to the Chevy is that the parts are way cheaper.

but... I really dig the way that the Slant 6 looks.

- Joe

23. You need to do a lot of work to the slant 6 to get it up to par: headers for one, you need to find the "super six" intake for two, and depending on the year, there are different pros and cons because of the smog restrictions that began in the late 70s. Also, you have to modify the distributors to counteract the shitty advance curves. I did a lot of research on these when I had the dodge van. I'd go 250, or even better, look in to the Jeep motor mentioned above. Plus, slant sixes are really wide because of the slant. You need a lotof room for them, and I don't think you will have it if it's going in the car I think it's going in.

BTW, I got the ignition working! I wound up cannibalizing 3 of them in to one good one.

24. Tricknology

Tricknology
    from DETROIT

25. Tricknology

Tricknology
    from DETROIT

here is a picture of a STOCK TBI manifold that could easily be made into a 2 or 3 carb Manifold,,,It is made of aluminum, so welding some home made alluminum carb mounts onto the manifold is easy.

Or because it came with a 2 barrel TBI , a 2 barrel carb could easily be adapted.

http://www.bustedjeep.com/projects/rebuild/DCP_0992.JPG
    <!-- / message -->

26. DIRTYT

DIRTYT
    from Warren,MI

I thought about the 4 litre as well. i had one last year and the thing could boogey

27. Tricknology

Tricknology
    from DETROIT

Dirty T go to the pick a part junk yard at 8 mile and Hoover , its got a big yellow car up high on a post in the parking lot...

they got lots of cherrokees,,,and they let you in the lot,,so take a tape measure aND a camera and take pics and lots of mesurements ,,, then decide what to do...

I would buy a complete wrecked cherokee for parts from craigs list.

PS what kind of car is it that you want to do the motor swap ??

28. DIRTYT

DIRTYT
    from Warren,MI

I love parts galore! Im not at liberty to say what kind of car at the moment. But it can go either way motor wise.:D

29. mtkawboy

mtkawboy

On a street only car it isnt a big deal but I used to run a slant 6 powered H/G Anglia in the early 70s and with the 4 main bearings I had 2 motors with 4 speeds break the cranks right at the flywheel flange. Amazingly enough, they both just quit moving the car and it no damage to the rest of the motor. After the second one went I changed to a 7 main bearing 300 Ford HD truck 6 with a forged crank. The slant 6 ran a best of 12.19 which wasnt bad for 1970 and the tires they had then. The Ford ran 11.60's. I used all the hyperpack factory intake & carb stuff with a race ported head on the Anglia. Not really the engines fault when youre leaving at 6000 RPM

30. mustangsix

mustangsix

If I were going to do an inline six and brand were not a factor, I think I would go with the 300 Ford too.

1. Lots of aftermarket go-faster and dress up stuff
    2. Transmission choices of C4, C6, AOD, T5, T56....basically anything that fits a SBF will fit a 300.
    3. Cheap. They made millions of these things for trucks and as industrial engines. Find them anywhere.
    4. Big displacement = big torque. Great engine for that custom or rod.
    5. Durable. 7-mains, hard to kill, lasts forever.
    6. Easier to fit into a lot of stuff than a slant.