Register now to get rid of these ads!

Interesting tubing???????

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Shifty Shifterton, May 8, 2007.

1. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

Alright hoarders, time to fess up your sources! :D

But seriously, I'm in need of some "interesting" tubing for roadster windshield pillars. Something other than the typical round, square, or rectangular cross section.

Just scored a 6ft section of what's best described as a lemon shape, about 2" x 1.5". Would really like to pick up a couple other shapes to hold up to the car when the time comes.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

2. Slag Kustom

Slag Kustom

look at dilbert airplane works in PA they sell tear drop shaped tubing. they offer a box of cut offs in many sizes. may be a good start.

3. Check the tapered ovals of front or rear wishbones. I bet Model A rears would be close.

4. PRoz

PRoz

5. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

6. rooman

rooman

Slag,
    actually that is Dillsburg Aeroplane Works.

Roo

7. Sniper

Sniper

I just got the posts for mine from an old chrome table and chair set. The legs on the table were oval in shape and tapered as well. Lots of length for windshield posts. Bicycle forks are great for taillight stands, tapered tube with a slight bend, that gets tighter as it gets closer to the end. I have found them in oval, "D" or streamlined shaped so far. What's that about one man's junk, is another man's treasure?

8. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

The first reproduction Model A Roadster windshield frames in the 60s were made from oval tubing, rather than the original round stuff which had been discontinued years earlier. The correct stuff was finally made in the 70s and proper frames were then available.

9. scottybaccus

scottybaccus

air parts inc. will have streamline tubing, also. Sizes from small braces all the way up to landing gear struts.

10. UKAde

UKAde
    from Oxford UK

I used to work in F1 car racing and when they changed to carbonfiber suspension i bought a load of aero section tubing off them has been very usefull but it can be strange to weld as it's normaly heattreated after welding so i have brazed most of mine
    http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2578089810036898833VzfWGm

the top tapered bit was made by taking a bit of aero section tube cutting out a tapered bit from the center then welding it back up the finaly welding it to a long bit of small aero section

11. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

Cool ideas, especially the tubing squisher. Bet that saves a ton of money when building aero structures.