Register now to get rid of these ads!

Amish Hot Rodders

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Aug 17, 2011.

1. Ramblur

Ramblur

Back in my high school days I got my ass handed to me a few times by some
    local Mennonites in a blacked out big block 4 speed 70 Chevelle. I could
    however run with their similar appearing big block 70 Monte Carlo...

2. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

burn:eek:

3. You better watch your back around those Mennonites, the do bad-ass stuff behind closed doors.

[​IMG]

4. anteek

anteek

I have the utmost respect for both groups. My dad dealt with Amish in eastern Pa and I have dealt with mennonites here in florida and in Belize. Great people. Some mennonite teenagers built a hot cavalier from my yard in the late '80's. BLACK 4 dr got a 3.1 in place of the 2.8,turbo, rear disc brakes out of the u-pullit yard. dad never figured it out.

5. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

Nah,
    Not pissed at anything or anybody. Life is way to short for that, (and I don't eat corn flakes :D)
    I love this forum, and have gotten lots of very valuable information from it, and have made some good friends here too.
    A really great group of folks (mostly) :eek:
    I have taken my share of crap on here for stupid or inappropriate posts, and totally accept it. Usually it is out of ignorance on my part. It comes with the territory.
    Just get a kick sometimes out of the good for one , but not all syndrome that kicks up here once in a while...And as others have posted on this thread, not bashful about giving my opinion.
    Glad your having fun at the drags, and hope you enjoy them.
    I cannot afford to attend, or I would be happy to be there too.
    OH, I do drink Korbel, and smoke cigars too......And will be out cruzing in my beater '63 Biscayne later tonight. Works for me!!
    Cheers..........
    Bob

6. Ramblur

Ramblur

Not sure if this qualifies as an Amish hot rod or not...

[​IMG]

7. iammarvin

iammarvin
    BANNED
    from Tulare, Ca

OK......Need clarification......Amish or Menninite?........Came up with the "Murdered" look? Did not think either was so cutting edge. Rock on PURE horsepower!

8. Clik

Clik

I've had dealings with both Amish and Menonites over the years. There are many sects of each and many different variations on custom and belief.

The Amish who built my pole barn had all their circular saws converted to run on air which came from a gasoline powered compressor. They were not allowed to use electricity but had no problem using my cell phone frequently to call the supply house or schedule jobs. They had no problem riding in my truck but drove buggies themselves.

I was going through Philly one day and saw a newspaper headline AMISH DEALING DRUGS WITH PAGANS. Apparently the young Amish, in some sects, are allowed a period of "wilding" where they drive cars, etc. They usually have to park them off site and can't bring them home. The article exposed how the Amish youth had formed their own little gangs, if you will, and were getting PCP from members of the Pagans motorcycle club, which they in turn distributed to other Amish kids.

Unlike the intimidating names of most gangs the Amish kids used names like: The Crickets and The Grass Hoppers.

At some point they have to decide if they are going to dedicate their lives to the Amish way or leave the community and modernize.

The Amish sects in Southern Maryland farm with horses while most in Western Maryland use tractors. The Amish in Western Maryland have electricity in their barns which was allowed by the elders when pasturization of milk laws were mandated by government.

Most Menonites that I've met are allowed to drive cars, but they must be "plain".

9. CLSSY56

CLSSY56

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 21, 2011
  10. havi

havi

nice rake!

Attached Files:

• 1659.jpg
      1659.jpg
      File size:
      11.8 KB
      Views:
  11. Meltkamp

Meltkamp

got it
    [​IMG]

12. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Worlds fastest Mennonite.

13. truckjim

truckjim

You don't think 2 buggies ever squared off back in the cornfield out of the elders sight?????
    Thats some funny stuff there. Thanks for the laugh.....

14. the HAMB Hokey Amish/Mennonite Board

15. wsdad

wsdad

we need video!!!!!!

16. breeder

breeder
    Member Emeritus

I wish I had it on vid. That would be awesome!

17. Is this picture taken In Shipshewana Indiana? I live like 10 miles from this store if this is the Indiana store.