Register now to get rid of these ads!

Is "Headers by Ed" still in business?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ebbsspeed, Oct 25, 2007.

1. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I used to always buy my mandrel bends and other exhaust stuff from him, but his web site no longer works. Is he still in business? Different web site? Thanks!

2. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

I sure hope he is still around. I've bought all of my mandrel bend tubing from him for years. Because of the deep discount he gives for large orders I've always waited until I need a few hundred dollars worth of exhaust components and stocked up on the stuff I use a lot of.
    I've got a pretty good order accumulated and was thinking of giving him a call just before the end of the year
    Someone chime in here if you know for sure his current business status.

Frank

3. mbmopar

mbmopar
    from Canada

Sorry if I'm not as current as you'd like, but I ordered a header building info kit about 16 months ago or so....maybe a bit longer...one helluva knowledgeble fella and one hell of an informative kit !!!!!!!

4. Flatdog

Flatdog
    Member Emeritus

Call him, got stuff from him the other day.

5. MIKE47

MIKE47
    from new jersey

He's still around.... and as mad as ever! I love that guy.

6. brandon

brandon

if anyone talks to him ....ask him if he had a anglia called "black ice"....talked to a guy at a cracker barrel on the way to bowling green for the hrr....he mentioned driving said such car after seeing my anglia in the parking lot.....and i'm pretty sure he said that was who owned it.....crazy story but sometimes even those are true.....:rolleyes: brandon:D

7. bobw

bobw

If Shoenfeld in Arkansas has what you need, you will get a good price and fast delivery.

8. Twisted6

Twisted6

Yeah I hope he is to. I talked with him many times in the Past and Bought his Video kit. And that is how I learned to Build headers for my L6s Great GUY.

9. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

He is mad, isn't he? I've spoken with him a few times, and in some of those calls all I did was listen to him cuss about how the industry-related magazines are all about telling the story the advertiser wants you to hear, rather than the truth. Sure the advertisers pay a big part of the bill, but so do the subscribers. Ed is definitely a charachter. Sounds like he's still around and somebody bought his domain name before he had a chance to renew.

10. purposebuilt

purposebuilt
    from ct

We just got our kit, his website has been down for a long time....call him :)

Anyone have suggestions for a good muffler? we want to be able to hear the tunes and conversation in the car, and still have that nice sound outside.

11. sho1off

sho1off
    from Buffalo MN

have you got his phone number

12. 57halfton

57halfton

The last reply here is on 1/23/08 , anyone got anything new on headers by Ed?
    Gene

13. FuelFC

FuelFC

Ummm 20 seconds you can find anything. CALL the old bastard. Crabbiest sumbitch I ever liked.

HEADERS BY "ED", INC.
    Address: 2710-16th Avenue South
    Minneapolis, MN 55407 US - map it
    Phone: 612-729-2802
    Fax: 612-729-5638
    E-mail: Contact HEADERS BY "ED", INC.
    Description: HEADERS BY "ED", INC. & HEADERS BY "ED", INC. Parts offer - V8 pre-76 Automotive & Vertical Exit Headers with TRUE Equal Length Designs. Header Kits & Header Parts for the Header Builder. Since 1962.

14. madjack

madjack

15. madjack

madjack

Posted then I tried it ...didn't work. I'll call tomorrow to find out what the deal is
    Might try Stahl headers. I've bought boxes of misbent pipe from Jer for pretty reasonable money and got a boat load of usable stuff. Just tell 'em what size and they send a box full of "stuff". Kind of a grab bag deal

16. Roadsters.com

Roadsters.com

When you talk to Ed, please ask him if his site is coming back up and then let us know. Thanks!

Dave
    http://www.roadsters.com/

17. 57halfton

57halfton

FuelFC
    OH YEAH Gott'a love Jungle Pam
    she was better than watchi'n the racing.
    Gene

18. I too have gotten the speech. It makes sense, but "one person at a time'?He knows what he is talking about.

19. saltflatmatt

saltflatmatt
    Alliance Vendor

Special "ED" is still in South Minneapolis shipping out parts out of his moms house... He changed the company that hosted his website and it has been down for a years or so... I'd call him myself but he always lectures me on how BAD Lake Headers perform... That and I don't have 4 hours of free time to listen to his rants... Guys got some hard to find stuff!!!

20. FuelFC

FuelFC

Just call him and tell him what you need. Do not engage him in conversations about header theory. He is a crusty old bastard but he has been around since God invented exhaust pipes.

Ed is and has been a character/fixture in the business for years. He is not stupid nor dumb but he is in his mind GOD of headers. He is up there with cult like status but you will spend like said 4 hours on phone.

Just plan out what you need length, flanges, collectors, wall thickness, and bend wise and add 10-15% for waste and place an order. It is really that easy. Once I learned how to handle him it worked well over the years.

We would place three or four orders a year for the race shop and NO one would call the guy. I would call and 10 minutes later be done. Wekk or so boxes showed up from Brown Santa.

Worse was when we stopped at shop one time to pick up an order and heard for two hours damn near how bad Hedman F/C were....."Bends all wrong"..."look at the welds"...."Look at this material, see mine"...LOL.

But I will say this about him every time. If you need it he either has it, can make it or get it. And like I said earlier post "Crabbiest sumbitch I ever liked."

21. ProStreet41

ProStreet41
    from Wisconsin

I spoke with Ed today, 10-11-11, and told him about the web site being down. He was totally unaware that there were any problems until he, too, attempted to pull up the site. He is contacting his site administrator to have the problem taken care of, so he should be back up and running shortly.

22. It was down for FOUR YEARS and he just found out? WOW :eek:

23. Muttley

Muttley

He was probably wondering why business had been slow lately. :rolleyes: :D

24. mickeyc

mickeyc

Four years? I looked at his web site about a week or so ago.

25. Gas_Tires_Oil

Gas_Tires_Oil

BTTT, wondering the same thing here in 2016.

I ordered something from Ed just over 2 month's ago and haven't heard back from him. Over the last few weeks I've tried everything from calling in the afternoons, sent a couple emails, a couple faxes and just mailed him a letter! Faxes don't go through and his answering machine doesn't take messages.

Anyone know what's up with Ed? Hope he's ok.