Register now to get rid of these ads!

Whats the scariest thing youve seen on a rod?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Lobucrod, Feb 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

I saw this on a rod at the DFW swap meet recently and had to go get the camera and take a picture of it. If its not clear enough its a steering shaft made from 3/4" pipe fittings! Must belong to a plumber. Makes my butt crack draw up!

Attached Files:

2. Ken Carvalho

Ken Carvalho

DAMN!!! One hard left turn and it will un-screw" itself!!! WOW! That early '60 something steering "coupler" is quite the piece of work in itself ALSO!!!

3. metalman

metalman

4. WildWilly68

WildWilly68

Holy shit I hope you stayed away from it when it hit the road! What kind of dumbass would build something like that?

Bill

5. I was going to say a craftsman 1/2 drive swivel for a stearing joint but now I have seen something much worse. Unbeliveable:eek:

6. flatheadmalc

flatheadmalc

I don't know anybody that stupid and I've known som dumb mo fos

7. 53chieftian

53chieftian

I saw a car with 4 wheel independent suspension that had the brakes 100% hard plumbed! Not a rubber line on the car!

8. hippie6

hippie6

Not really a hot rod but, I used to work with a guy that had a V-8 Chevy Monza and one of the front tie rod ends was held together with a coat hanger. I made sure I was going the oppisite direction when we left work at the end of the day!!!

9. DocsMachine

DocsMachine
    from Alaska

I used to have a whole pageful of similar things from the lifted 4X4 world bookmarked, and now of course I can't find it.

Things like 12" tall lift blocks made from rectangular tubing, drag links heated red hot and bent down to ease tie-rod angles, the eyes of shock absorbers welded directly to the frame, spring-eye lift straps fully eight inches long which gave the guy a pinion angle of about thirty degrees, front brake hoses stretched straight from the frame to the caliper, 4-link setups made from "black iron" gas pipe, the oh-so-common hockey-puck body lifts (some as tall as 9-10 inches) and much, much more.

I personally saw a mid-70s ElCamino that'd been dropped on a Chevy 4WD truck frame. For the steering, the guy just used the upper (end of the steering column) built-in U-joint, and the stock "rag" joint disc... but "extended" the pins on the rag joint with short sections of brass pipe, because the angle was so severe, the pins would slide in and out of the slots as it turned.

Much as I've hated "I&M" legislation over the years, I'm often damned glad it catches things like that.

Doc.

10. brownbagg

brownbagg
    from grand bay

well, it could of been PVC

11. chaddilac

chaddilac

$40 K merc with a kraco two knob radio... that's freakin scary!!!

12. Ken Carvalho

Ken Carvalho

Actually thats a good theft deturent, I have an 8-track player, (which I actually use) in the dash, but a "NICE" deck in the glove box. Who the hell is gonna break in when they see an P.O.S. 8-track?? They move on...just a thought, Ken

13. chaddilac

chaddilac

If you've got a $40K car surely it's in the garage, and not down in new jack city. It's like Walmart spinner hubcaps!!

14. Bear Metal Kustoms

Bear Metal Kustoms
    Alliance Vendor

I had a kragen special $29.00 tape deck in my cj5 Jeep and some jackass tore up the dash and broke my gauges and windshield trying to get it out...

This is a picof a tierod end on a car I just got as a donor. This car was being driven on the highway at 70mph when the driver was pulled over for drunk driving.. The car was impounded and I ended up with it..Beware, you never know what has been done to the car next to you..
    EVILT

Attached Files:

15. Bassfire

Bassfire
    from Mart, Tx.

At the Waco NSRA MiniNats years ago a car showed up with the steering hooked up so when you turn the steering wheel the car went the opposite direction.

16. Mudslinger

Mudslinger

IM saving up for one of those radios :)

17. Drive Em

Drive Em

I've seen an aftermarket steering box and bracket Vise Gripped to the frame instead of bolting it on. I have also seen a late 50's Chevy truck with a Volare front clip where the left side motor mount was welded to the steering box!!

18. Dunno about scary....but there used to be a guy around here with an old Mustang coupe with two two-barrels bolted directly to the hood. Guess the air cleaner/s, fuel lines, & linkage weren't necessary for the illusion, 'cause he didn't have 'em. :D

19. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Saw my old missus in the bonnet of my own car once, still cant look at the car without an involantary shudder!

20. hillbillyhell

hillbillyhell

Psst. Don't tell anyone, but I used to be into the 'wheeling stuff. And happen to still have that link.

It's 4x4 stuff y'all, but it's still good for a laugh. To put it into Plowboy terms, these guys do NOT have armadillos in their trousers.

http://128.83.80.200/taco/scarysteering6.html

21. Squablow

Squablow

A guy I used to work with drove a '69 Cutlass convertible to work with two lugnuts on each wheel.

One of the other guys said "You really should have more than two lugnuts on each wheel"

Cutlass guy replied "All you need is two"

First guy replied to that saying "yeah, but it helps if they're not right next to each other."

I'm still friends with the Cutlass guy, and it's frickin' unbelievable the amount of shit this guy gets away with. It's like he's immune to shit happening, even when it seems so imminent.

22. john56h

john56h

I once witnessed a horrendous crash at the speedway when some dim-wit put his rear axle in, but lost the "C" clip....so he used a nylon tie wrap instead.

He started first in a race with about 20 cars behind him. As soon as he rounded the second turn and straightened up for the back straightaway, the axle came out.

His Camaro stock car performed what appeared to a be a pole-vault over the wheel/tire/axle shaft. Most of the rest of the pack piled in to his mangled car, except one.

The one that missed his car instead ran over the tire and axle shaft and got launched into a series of end over end flips.

Luckilly nobody got hurt, but a lot of cars got serious damage or even completely wiped out over one guy's stupidity.

23. Roadstar beat me to it, but yeah I saw a guy with 1/2" impact swivels for steering u joints. It was in an S10 with a blown big block.

I had a buddy that rebuilt the small block in his bronco using Royal Crown hair dressing for pre-lube. It worked fine though.

24. "tubular" control arms on a Corvair IFS, made from 9/16" round solid stock

25. ditz

ditz

A 4 foot drag link with a 5" S-bend. A 5 year old child was sawing on the steering wheel and you could see the drag link bending. I think the kid was smarter than the car builder

26. thrasher

thrasher

hows this for "no thanks, i'll walk"
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

27. OLLIN

OLLIN

at a carshow, me and an old timer hotrodder guy were checking out a rusty and severely chopped and extremely channeled hotrod, with a ridiculous engine in it. The frame must have been riding 2" off of the ground, and I know it must have hauled ass too. The thing had no floors whatsoever! I guess the crossmember is where you were supposed to rest your feet? One slip on the highway and you would instantly lose your foot! The old guy and I looked up at each other shaking our heads and he said,
    "thats a little too cutting edge for me.." It was classic!

28. Bear Metal Kustoms

Bear Metal Kustoms
    Alliance Vendor

I think I saw that car at Paso. I kept thinking it was a road kill scraper. EVILT

29. john56h

john56h

I think we've found the winner!

No control arms on the front axle? Just the quarter eliptic springs?

Rear axle clamped to what?

And how would you like to bleed the brakes with those loops in the steel lines next to the radiator shell?

30. A hydraulic steering damper, but no tie rod? Am I missing something? Dangerous, of course, but how would it even function?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.