Register now to get rid of these ads!

Whats the scariest thing youve seen on a rod?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Lobucrod, Feb 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Derek Mitchell

Derek Mitchell

This is the scariest fucking thing I have ever seen on a rod, period.

2. OLLIN

OLLIN

you can see the tierod on the view from the rear. Is the rearend welded to the frame or does it have springs like the front?

3. Chris Casny

Chris Casny

That is one dumb mother-fucker, did I just "type" that.
    We should have safety inspections like Australia or Europe, because of guys like that.
    What car club is this guy in??????

4. ScapeGoat

ScapeGoat
    from Canada

Let me say first off...I'm no welder, but have seen a couple of scary bucket kit frames at local burger-joint rallies. Bubbled, splattered, porous welds particularly where they count, at their front perches -they don't call them scuicidal for nothing.

5. thrasher

thrasher

the rear has quarter eliptic springs and old tierods to make up the other 2 links, this things a death trap at both ends

6. JohnnyP.

JohnnyP.

i just like how the front leafs are just shoved into the frame rails. i need to remember that for lowering next time.

7. 390Power

390Power
    from Oregon

is the dampener zip-tied to the axle?

8. HOTTRODZZ

HOTTRODZZ

When The PRO STREET deal was Hot - I had a guy bring in a Mess That was ( Back Halfed ) At another shop - Had a legit 700 HP Engine in it - God strike me dead if Im lie'n - but some twisted M-F'R made the 4 link bars from hardware store nuts stick welded to ( black pipe ).......Cast Aluminum bell housings on Nitro Dragsters with slider clutchs....Saw a VW based kit car built with a 1.0 dia steel bar welded to the steering box - no universal - no stops - no real chassis to speak of & it pointed right at the drivers heart - But the scary'st thing I ever saw was a bike with a Blown & injected BBC in it - saw the guy who built it get killed on it too..!

9. This car was at the 2005 HAMB drags. The pictures are taken at the host hotel. It has two miss matched tractor seats, the old metal ones for seats. It was driven from the hotel to the drag strip and back. I didn't see it run down the track. Dean

Attached Files:

10. john56h

john56h

Are you kidding...on a quality ride like this, only a muffler clamp will do!

11. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I dont think its zip tied, that looks like an exhaust clamp!

12. ray

ray
    from colorado

black pipe? hell that's like chromemoly compared to the pile of model t parts i picked up a couple of years back. had a typical homemade fad T frame complete with rear hairpins made from no grade bolts welded to electrical conduit. i tore it apart with my bare hands. at least it wasn't an actual running car.

13. Bgoodman

Bgoodman

I'm sure alot of us have seen model a frames with 4-bar welded with a 110 mig. You know the ones with 400hp small block ford's and chrome pinto rear ends? no functional kickdown? no frame boxing? ... just me huh?

14. DocsMachine

DocsMachine
    from Alaska

-That's similar, but not exactly the same page. The one I saw showed much less... refined work. Rusty scrap used to gusset the drag link, U-bolts that had been cut and spliced back together to make a long U-bolt to fit the ultra-tall lift blocks...

I have to say, that "axle-lift frame" Jeep is a real trophy winner. :D

Doc.

15. Lucky77

Lucky77

When I was racing I always used two Sweet Mfg. U-joints, and a through firewall bearing. I was continually amazed by the steering setups on other guy's cars. They ranged from shitty to downright unsafe. That idiot probably bragged about how much he spent on his engine, while he was at Home Depot buying his steering system.

16. TINGLER

TINGLER

Again, I offer up pics of this jewel.
    I never saw it in person. Legend has it that it was built in Plowboy's neighborhood.....obviously not by Plowboy.

I think I got these pics from ebay.

The front end is all angle iron and gobby welds. Real scary.

[​IMG]

17. I said it before in some other post, "rat rods" with no floors. I see it on at least two cars per "ol' school" show here in Calif. One wrong foot placement and you're lucky if all you lose is your foot. I wouldn't ride in 3/4s of the "rat rods" I see. Before you build your first frame LEARN TO WELD, birds shit better then that. Please be safe.

18. DocsMachine

DocsMachine
    from Alaska

Hillbillyhell: I take that back. Once I looked through the rest of the pages (thought it was just the one) I see a lot of the ones I remembered. I think it's a different page (the one I recall didn't have any commentary or backgrounds) but some of the photos are definitely the same- like the one with the chain-drive offset steering box. :D

Doc.

19. 390Power

390Power
    from Oregon

only the best for a deathtrap!

20. ScapeGoat

ScapeGoat
    from Canada

What's this long thingy rod for? I dunno, the car seems to drive fine without it.....*one month later*...Crap, my trannys toast!, damn tranny!!! ...what you mean it has no kickdown?... uhhh.. whats a kickdown? Ha ha

21. HA HA thats funny!!! When I was 12 I built a sea flea boat with an old Johnson on it. Put it in the water fired it up and drove it into a rock.....fucked up in the steering direction when I put in the wheel.....

22. attitudor

attitudor
    from Finland

Famous last words: "Sometimes hotrodding looks scarier than it really is..." :)

23. rollie

rollie

I once pinstriped a t-bucket, and the guy was putting it in a show and had a spit built to turn the car to show the clean underbelly. When I was stiping the bottom I saw that he didn't have a reducer around when he was plumbing his brakes, so he just jammed the smaller brakeline into the bigger brakeline and sealed 'er all up with a stick of brazing rod.

24. 30roadster

30roadster

That's a good one! - I got my morning chuckle :D

25. DeucePhaeton

DeucePhaeton

I don't know if I can find a picture or not but nobody has mentioned open drive shafts in the passenger compartment. Honest to God, these guys hae any idea how fast one of those would eat a jacket sleeve and your arm at only 30 miles per hour?

26. hotrod_willie

hotrod_willie

Hotrod By Boyd!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

27. A rat rod model A,,,,,the guy had is wife and two young children with him,,,,the rear axle was welded to the frame and with no floors the drive shaft was open and the two kids in the back seat were within inches of the drive shaft!:eek:

28. Jennings Racing

Jennings Racing

29. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

That is an insult to a nice deuce shell.

30. roadracer

roadracer

This thread and that car scares the shit out of me. I mean, coiling the hard brake line so it's flexible?

I know we're all supposed to stick together, but someone should have reported this POS to the cops. This is what legislators coming up for reelection jump all over to get hot rods banned. You want crash testing mandatory for all custom work? suspension mods banned? engine swaps banned?

At least in UK they have yearly mot inspections of all cars to check brakes, steering, suspension joints etc for wear. Over here in US I've never understood why there are no inspections.

Jeez, this crap is going to kill us - you imagine what happens when the media get ahold of a child killed because of this asshole crossing the lanes when the front end falls off? :mad:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.