Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical turn signals

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by wuga, Feb 14, 2024.

1. -Brent-

-Brent-

Hahaha!

Reminds me of a boss I had when I was mowing lawns in college. He'd forget to turn the wipers off after rain. Both trucks we had usually had the wipers on. We got so conditioned to them always being on. It could be mid-July without a cloud in the sky and the wipers would slowing going back and forth. A new guy would come and it would frustrate them... and then soon they wouldn't care either.

G-son likes this.
  2. Los_Control

Los_Control
    from TX

3. I want to comment so ba
    Let me know how it work out.
    I used to work at Kragen Auto parts 2001ish until 2006 I think, (today they are part of the national chain O'Reilly's) anyways I was in my early twenties there was no way I was going to buy something practical. At that time I was daily driving my not quite HAMB friendly but still cool to drive land yacht 1973 Lincoln Continental more door and I put dual two and a half inch straight pipes on it with no crossover, a loud turn signal probably would have been good because that car eas wraspie at cruising speed. Lol Ironically I still have the car and the same exhaust is still under it and I was thinking I was going to finally install the engine into it this weekend (and be my time machine to go back to 23ish) so maybe I will put a loud turn signal flasher on the to-do list.

4. Kerrynzl

Kerrynzl

This ^^^ A cheap piezoelectric buzzer connected to the flasher unit.
    They only draw about 10 mA so they don't affect the flasher unit function.

Use a two wire piezoelectric buzzer and wire it between the taillight circuit and the ignition circuit

The piezo buzzer works like a diode, only passing current in one direction. These will then be polarized, so you have to connect the positive wire to battery side.

Connect the piezo buzzer between the ignition switch output and the lighting switch taillight output. Switch on the lights. If it doesn't buzz, swap the wires on the piezo buzzer.

With ignition and lights on at the same time the buzzer has 12 volts on both sides, will pass no current, and will not sound.

With ignition switch on but no lights, the piezo buzzer has 12 volts on one side but will not pass current in that direction, so also does not sound.

With lights on and ignition switch off, the piezo buzzer gets power from the lighting circuit and finds ground return through the fuel pump , fuel gauge, or oil sender etc

The piezo buzzer has such high internal resistance (only 10mA ) that the lower resistance circuits conduct current like ground connection for the buzzer.

Current is limited to 10mA by the buzzer, so nothing happens in the ignition or fuel pump or fuel gauge (or heater fan, wipers or radio if any of those were left on). The little piezo buzzer could buzz loudly for 3 months and it still wouldn't flatten the battery.

Last edited: May 9, 2024
  5. Buzzers are a great idea but i went with a dash mounted warning light, the light is blue and bright, even on a sunny day it's hard to miss it. In the pic it's above the turn signal unit under a small sun shroud. JW
    [​IMG]

GlassThamesDoug likes this.
  6. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

My rod is a 1928 A Roadster hot rod, I use hand-signals***,but likely most behind me now days ,just think I'm waving at them:confused:> Ya,I stop or my arm will fall asleep in the wind :D;) an some turns take both hands.

26 T Ford RPU likes this.
  7. Junior Stock

Junior Stock

Unfortunately younger people don’t seem to understand hand signals. Almost had the right side of my car taken out when I signaled for a right turn and the person passed me on the shoulder just I started my turn.

8. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

9. chicken

chicken
    from Kansas

pprather likes this.
  10. Country Joe

Country Joe

Some don't understand modern signals either.
    I have a habit of leaving my hand on the signal switch while turning to not forget to cancel. I also have dash indicators just incase. I still forget once in a while.

Junior Stock likes this.
  11. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

I need one that will talk to me through my hearing aids.:D

Bluetooth compatible, different sound for each direction, playing only in that ear!

Could even say, "You left your right turn signal on again, Dummy!"

26 T Ford RPU and atch like this.
  12. atch

atch

When you find this please tell me. I need the same thing.