Register now to get rid of these ads!

Zephyr dist/59A conversion....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by TENSIONER, May 30, 2006.

1. TENSIONER

TENSIONER
    from SEATTLE

I have a couple Lincoln Zephyr V12 Dual points and I want to convert one to run on my flathead. I've done a few searches and have found no info pertaining to how this is done except that carcraft did a how-to years ago. I have asked oldtimers from the era, looked through my collection of mag's and books, called my Mom, etc, all to no avail. Anyone here done this conversion or know who I can talk at?
    P.S. I have the correct timing cover and the caps have been brazed, now what.........

Thanks

2. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

The 1955 Hot Rod magazine annual had an indepth article about the conversion. I know I've got it....somewhere.

3. jetmek

jetmek

i have one hanging on the garage wall...you need a 4 lobe cam and i dont know where that can be sourced from. i suppose if you were very good machinist you could regrind one from a v8 but i doubt it. it also has extension ears brazed to the rotor tips to make them about 3/4 inch long. i have been unable to find a source for points for mine. it uses the same as the harmon-collins dual coil and the look like something out of a magneto. no breaker pivot just a heavy spring.

4. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

This is one of the tech articles I want to do when I get a damn camera--there are several ways to convert the LZ, and a few to make the 59A into a dual coil too. I've got examples of most...
    The basic article by Moon is in car Craft, three-part how to in 1954...the HRM version sharank the templates to useless! Cam is Ford with lobes ground off...you might be able to adapt an early N one, it occurs to me...
    The CC article tells you everything you need to know for that way, but I think the other way of doing the 8 to 6 secondary conversion using the rotor is better. Also, this way demands perfect placement of parts, as the point setup can't be phased like LZ...I have one retaining the LZ plate, to allow full tuning, and I think that's the way to go. Traditional points usage is a type of mag point that's now rare and expensive...that needs to be rethought too. A tuneup should not require three years of searching Hershey for points!
    Note that doing this right will cost--just rebuilding the LZ coils is a small fortune. There is major cool value here, but I think nothing practical to gain over a stock 21-59A with modern coil.

5. klazurfer

klazurfer

This it what makes it work :

Attached Files:

6. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

"This it what makes it work :"

Ah! Now I see! it's a WHITE box, the predecessor to BLACK box technology!

7. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Sorry--now there's a pic! :)
    Anyhow, that's the tech I don't like...I have a different one done with slits cut into the rotor tips 90 degrees to axial taking curved strips of brass--just looks sturdier and more manufactured tham the Moon way.

8. klazurfer

klazurfer

:( Sorry if the pix did not come up ... I did what I usally do when I post pix .......:confused:
    Klaz

9. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Picture came up the SECOND time I looked...some sort of time warp. Color pics use slower electrons, I believe...and they have to get through those magnetic anamolies over Greenland to get here. Or maybe your server sent them the long way around and those Chinese internet filters were a bit clogged...

10. klazurfer

klazurfer

:) :) :) Is this what the youngsters call "online"
    Klaz