Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Your neighborhood Muffler-Man

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Donuts & Peelouts, Feb 16, 2018.

1. Donuts & Peelouts

Donuts & Peelouts
    from , CA

Lets get a fun thread going. These things always got my attention and still do. Post your local muffler man or ones you see. This is my local muffler man.
    [​IMG]

Sent from my SM-J727T1 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. This is where I usually go. The nice thing about it is that I can go next door and get bread while I am there. Untitled.jpg

MMM1693, brad2v, Chucky and 2 others like this.
  3. Donuts & Peelouts

Donuts & Peelouts
    from , CA

Do they have a little man made tin man like I posted, that's what I wanted this thread to be, I bet that shops been in business for a long time huh Beans....but I'll be fine with some coffee and sweet bread with a pal.

Clay Belt and lothiandon1940 like this.
  4. They actually have a muffler man in the office. They quit leaving it outside 20 years ago. The shop is run by brothers a little younger than me and was started by their father and grandfather in the same place ( right half of the building is original) in about '59. I helped them bury granddad, the muffler man was grave side. That was a sad day, granddad was a good man ( as men go).

5. Beaner, did you mean bread or bred?

loudbang likes this.
  6. Deuces

Deuces

Does it really matter...????:rolleyes:

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  7. Well consider the source and the fact that he doesn't spell worth a flip. :D :D :D

8. Deuces

Deuces

I guess it all sounds the same any way you slice it....:confused:;):D

9. lewk

lewk
    from Mt

I'll play. I'm on the wrong end of town right now so I've got to rely on Google Street View instead of actual pics.

Muff Bandidt 1.jpg Muff Bandidt 2.jpg Muff Bandidt 3.jpg

As a side note, any place you can get bred next to a muffler shop may leave you with a rash or burning sensation....
    I assume we aren't talking about bakeries at this point.

10. "If she's old enough to go to the store, she's old enough to get bred."
    I'd say it matters if you're in front of the pappy or the judge.

By the way, this cartoonist has a whole series on the subject of "muffler men"..........
    nmmuffman.jpg

Last edited: Feb 16, 2018
  11. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

No welded up muffler man out front but they have always done nice work on my stuff and treated me right on the price. A Muffler Bandit in Yakima. No goodies in the waiting room but a short walk to a couple of good places to eat.

brad2v and Donuts & Peelouts like this.
  12. Hatch, New Mexico: RV Muffler Man
    A former cowboy holds a small RV in one hand, giving him the scale of a godlike Snowbird giant. Other wacky statues, indoors and out. And free coffee.
    This is the one I helped load up for transport after the Western Reserve Historical Society sold their muffler man on eBay for $7,100. It was a cowboy then.

[​IMG]

loudbang and Donuts & Peelouts like this.
  13. aircap

aircap

Browns' Tire on south Broadway here in Wichita has a large fiberglass Muffler Man holding some tires....

[​IMG]

14. brad2v

brad2v

I can't believe I'm watching this, haha. Subscribed

dan31, 302GMC, loudbang and 1 other person like this.
  15. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

I can't believe HOTRODPRIMER didn't start this thread, it's gonna be epic!

16. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Just 7 blocks West of where I was born.

17. Long gone, but our, go to, muffler shop was the legendary Magic Muffler in North Hollywood

magic muffler.jpg

18. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

19. Donuts & Peelouts

Donuts & Peelouts
    from , CA

Dang you must of seen this whole place go topsy turbby then. I'm off Stafford.

loudbang likes this.
  20. wasn't there a kids song?
    oh, do you know the muffler man,
    the muffler man, the muffler man,
    oh, do you know the muffler man,
    who lives on Smitty lane?

21. transman.PNG
    This was a real "trans girl" which sat outside of a transmission shop, but they only have a picture of it now. The real one was probably removed because someone took offence to the red "nipples" or some other bullshit OH&S law.
    It was built by a bloke I know who did his apprenticeship with this company about 45 Years ago, from junk parts.
    (Trans girl was actually the arch enemy of Muffler Man, and she used to kick his arse)

22. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I see those welded up muffler men all the time in my travels. Don't have a muffler shop locally, there are a couple in Tuscaloosa, don't remember if they have one or not. There is a shop in Lawrenceburg TN that has probably the largest muffler I have ever seen up on top of their sign. I pass it just about every night, but have never tried to get a pic.

Donuts & Peelouts likes this.
  23. squirrel

squirrel

He's been Paul Bunyon for decades, but he really did start life as a muffler man. At the oldest speed shop in Tucson, one of the oldest in the county (Don's worked out of Leo's for a long time, before moving to the new building in the 70s)

dons.jpg

24. Spooner Clinton

Spooner Clinton

Kinda makes you wonder.....what does that muffler fit?

25. Irish Mike likes this.
  26. indyjps

indyjps

There was a hostess/ wonder bread "day old" store right in the middle of the industrial strip where a lot of the muffler, drivetrain, shops were in Decatut IL.

Bought a lot of danish, and smooshed package treats, hadnt thought about that place in a long time. We had a toaster oven in the shop and the danish would warm right up.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2018
  27. slowmotion

slowmotion

"Mr. Cost-Plus" was an icon in our neck of the woods. Many a hot Bowtie & Olds passed under his cape. Including Copo's & supposedly the last ZL-1 built.
    Here's a video of his erection :eek:, mid-late 60s I think.

Donuts & Peelouts likes this.
  28. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

This was posted on yard art, dont think its a muffler but it should be!! Downspout.jpg

Cosmo50, juan motime and Deuces like this.
  29. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Huntington Park is different in dead. Pacific Blvd was like Main Street America of years ago and the little hospital I was born is a dirt lot know. It's odd seeing that. Maybe it's the black and white photos of me coming home from there? There was an A&W drive-in on Florence as well. But this guy is still around! [​IMG]

30. Deuces

Deuces

Too funny!!!!!:D:):rolleyes: