Register now to get rid of these ads!

your gearbox opinions wanted

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by nailhead29A, Mar 17, 2013.

1. Im currently building a 28 Tudor with a 364 nailhead and an open drive banjo rear I have converted to 9 inch Ford axles to do away with the weak key setup. My issue is im trying to decide on what gearbox to run, I have a 4 spd top loader and an open drive 3 spd 42 Ford truck box. Now I know the top loader is by far the stronger box but I like the idea of the early 3 spd, the car will be driven hard and im a little concerned the early box may be a little fragile. Any ideas from you experts out there would be greatly appreciated.

2. The 3 speed gear box is a week link and I feel certain your going to side step the clutch every now and then,,,

Top loader 4 speed is your best bet. HRP

3. As I thought, yes with the nailhead up front the rear wheels may have a tendancy to break loose on more than the odd occasion.
    Cheers HRP.

4. I used the Ford top loader four speed behind my early Olds with the Jeep shifter. Works great, shifter is on top, looks like a 39' trans.

5. what year Jeep top did you use? I would far rather have the shifter coming out the centre of the floor.

6. Relic Stew

Relic Stew
    from Wisconsin

The Tremec T176, T177, and T178 were used from 1980-86.

[​IMG]

7. Commish

Commish
    from NW Ok

By week link, does that mean you think it would last about a week?:D

8. Behind a decent Nailhead with a Kiwi driving?.... probably a lot less !

9. Haha, to true, whats the use in having all that grunt without letting the wheels break loose on a regular basis. Old school cool would make me go with the jailbar number but i think in the interest of not wanting to replace boxes every week the toploader will be going in instead, it came outa my fathers 65 Falcon race car when he upgraded to a super T10, and if it handled the abuse he gave it with the little SBF then im sure the Nailhead has no show of breaking it.

10. The jeep shifter on the top loader is the way to go. The tops can be hard to find. Last one I saw on Ebay was buy it now at 150. My local jeep go to guy says they are getting very hard to find. Got to pull the side shift forks out and block off the holes and then it is a drop in with the shifter as I remember.
    Of course there is always a period correct 37 Buick box with Olds gears or a Lasalle box. Bet there may not be many of those hanging around either, although I know where two are at the moment.

11. Here's the info I have: 80'-85 Jeep CJ5, CJ7, CJ10, CJ20, Scrambler, Cherokee, 84' - 85' Ford F-100 & F-150
    Refer to Dec. 1990 Street Rodder.

Art