Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Your favorite vintage shop tool that still gets used.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Cliff Ramsdell, May 25, 2019.

1. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

I think I dated her!

Cliff Ramsdell likes this.
  2. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

Man can I relate...

3. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2019-6-29_4-7-25.png era 1959-64
    Hello,

We were able to get our cars back into the newly remodeled garage. Then, the transferring of old tools to the new drawers was a process. The rule was…if we had not used it in several months or years, then it has to go…somewhere. The final resting place is usually to our niece’s family that is still involved in old cars and hot rods. We have given them table saws, drill presses, radial slider saws, the complete Craftsman Tool Sets from 1959- 60, drills, bits, and other tools deemed unnecessary for an old guy without any projects to do these days.

It was not going to be a dump off the old stuff into the new separated drawers for tools. There were too many duplicates and stuff that had not seen the light of day since our last neighborhood garage sale when our granddaughter was 8. She is 14 now. So, it was time to get the old out and keep what is necessary. (NOT ME, MY WIFE OR THE OLD DOG, EITHER)

After the final clean out of our old tools, I found tons of duplicates and those old guys that brought up tons of memories. These final bits of Craftsman Tools are now in a box ready for transport to our niece’s house for their young growing family projects. Lifetime Warranty and all will keep the history going for generations.

But, in a small box, I found the last adjustable crescent wrench and three Craftsman Screwdrivers, still with their lifetime warranties. They will probably out last all of us in the long run.

Jnaki

Why are we giving away those last remaining Craftsman tools? Well, the rest of the 60 year old tools need to be together for one last run with someone that will be using them. Now, in that little tool box has the last remnants of the 1958-60 era tools. We still have different brands of smaller adjustable wrenches.

They are small enough for usage by smaller hands and that is a plus for my wife and granddaughter. Can’t get them started with larger tools…too heavy, too unwieldy, not the right size for the project, etc…The list goes on and on to no end. So, the tools are sized to fit perfectly for the last projects that pop up these days.
    upload_2019-6-29_4-10-34.png
    I did use the Craftsman Crescent Wrench for one last tightening of axle nuts on my granddaughter’s bicycle and several loose nuts on a drop down, attic ladder. Now, the last bit of 50s-70s shop tools will be off to our niece’s house next week. What about the Craftsman Screwdrivers? Most of the screws we use are Phillip’s Head patterns and these were flat head types. We no longer have flat head screws in our pull out nuts/bolts, and screw drawers. We only have small flathead screwdrivers in case we need to take off a wall switch cover or two.
    upload_2019-6-29_4-11-9.png
    These days, it is rest in the tool drawers until called upon for emergency service. It is not those beat the $#!& out of them building a motor/trans/rear end or two, almost on a daily basis. The old Craftsman Tools will get some action, but will more than likely see valuable quiet time until the lifetime warranty runs out.

Or it outlasts the little 5 year old grandnephew or family, who will be older and building hot rods, again. (or quietly resting in the tool drawer for its time in the sun, one last time.)

4. Black_Sheep

Black_Sheep

image.jpg This 1/2” drive ratchet was one of the first tools I bought back in the mid 70’s. It’s safe to say this thing has wrenched on every car I’ve ever owned and was used daily during the 30 years I pulled wrenches for a living.