Register now to get rid of these ads!

You fellers ever chop a tri5 pickemup?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mootz, Sep 21, 2005.

1. Mootz

Mootz

Or '58 or '59? I see a lot of 48-54 chevy trucks that are chopped and I would assume the 55+ are relatively difficult since I rarely see one chopped. Did a yahoo search and found a few "street rods" but no pics of the actual process or insight. The cab slants forward quite a bit making things a little tricky but with some of the chops I've seen on here, surely someone has done one or seen one done. There seems to be plenty of these cabs around so an extra doner roof would be easy to find. Anyone?

Mootz

2. Squablow

Squablow

The chop wouldn't be so tough, but the windshield would be damned near impossible to cut, you'd have to make one somehow, I think that's why people don't do it that often. Glass is the most important and most difficult part of any top chop.

3. Rude Dude

Rude Dude

There was a glass shop in Long Beach California that cut glass for windshield back in eightys. Maybe hambers might know of it and if its still open. It was off Signal Hill and something. I remember they weren't cheap back then. They did a killer job on my friends truck I wish I had the pics.

4. I have chopped several of these years trucks- its not a bad one at all to cut........
    The Roof Skin remains totally UNCUT when I do em.
    If you wanna see one, go to my shop post in the HAMB-O-DEX....its on my sites "picture page"and[listed there]

It's the Yellow one/W Big back glass- that I did for Scott Matney of Ottawa Kan..and was on the cover of Classic Truck Mag a few yrs ago..........

5. old beet

old beet

Easy to chop, hard to do the windshield. The windshield has to be cut or ground almost all the way around, as you just can't cut like 3-4inches off the top, or it won't even be close to fit the roof. I've helped chop and done the glass in 5 or 6. Take 3 inches out of the roof, tack the "A" pillars back on, then start fitting the glass. You will see the w/s leans back more now. So the lower corners of the wrap around w/s will have to be removed. Long process of grinding and fitting, removing the pinchweld at the corners will help as not to stress the glass. Door and backof cab are easy.........OLDBEET

6. squirrel

squirrel

I've been staring at the windshield in my old truck for years....looks to me like one possible way to chop it a little bit and not have to deal with glass, would be to take a couple inches out, and lose the "eyebrow" over the windshield. Make it so the leading edge of the roof drops down to the top of the glass.

never tried it, probably never will, but it's worth thinking about for a minute or two.

7. Mootz

Mootz

Awwwwe yes, the glass. I've heard of people grinding down the windshield, how the hell does that work? Seems like shards of glass would be flying everywhere and shattering the entire thing seems inevitable (at least with me in the immediate area). Thanks for the info so far.

Mootz

8. old beet

old beet

60-80 grit wet belt (6x104) and it takes more than a few belts and hours......OLDBEET

9. squirrel

squirrel

I've also heard of masking off a line and sandblasting thru the glass.

10. OneTireFire

OneTireFire

I just bought a 55 that was chopped 4" and sectioned around 6" or so. I can't give you any info on the chop since I didn't do but it seems whoever did it really knew what they were doing. The glass on this one was cut down, there are areas where the weather stripping is thicker than stock so I imagine the fit wasn't perfect.

Attached Files:

11. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Ahhhh not so, Squablow!!

The w/s is not impossible to cut...difficult, yes, impossible no...you just need to find someone that knows what they are doing.

Big problem with the '55-'57 truk...and passenger car w/s is the dogleg. The glass has to be trimmed top, bottom and sides to make it fit well...

My rad chopped '57 has been cut 5"...the top of the glass was trimmed with a diamond saw, then sanded to smooth it, then the rear of the dogleg and the bottom of the dogleg was trimmed to set it further down and back in the new opening..

And then, the factory rubber was used with liberal amounts of blak silicone to seal it...

It can be done...it's like anything else...only takes time and money!!!

Oh yeah, the FIRST w/s was taped and sandblasted...it was great until we got to the corners...bam...the whole side cracked. Cutting is still the best way!

R-

12. squirrel

squirrel

from what I've read, not from personal experience, plan on buying 5 windshields before you get one cut properly without breaking.

13. Larry Kraft of Sunrise glass in Shawnee Mission Ks did a lot of the curved W/S for me,in the past.
    He is now retired, due to health issues.
    I understand His son is continuing the family bussiness.
    Altho I am not sure if he does the cutting of curved glassW/S, still-he does do a super job on all the glass he does install.

14. [​IMG]Here is Robs chopped big block chevy powered tri5 truck w/ roll cage and tubbed rear end.
    -spence

15. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

We were going to try it on this one but chickened out. I've got a spare roof to give away if anyone else wants to give it a shot on their truck

[​IMG]

16. Tony

Tony

I have heard and was told the same thing over and over again..and still believe it..
    But sometime's luck will come through.
    I bought one brand new windshield for my 53 chevy (car) and 3 used one's with breaking in mind.
    As much as i hesitated, i gave the template i made and the new one to a local glass guy who has experience cutting windshields..
    He told me it's 50/50 on it breaking..but he's had goodluck and only broke a few of many..

On mine, first cut..no breakage..he even intalled it without any problems..
    i got lucky, iknow that..
    but it can be done if the guy doing it know's what he's doing..

17. Fresh469

Fresh469
    from Benton, KY

any idea on how much it would cost to just have a windshield made? i have seen it done on TV but they never mentioned a price.......

18. Seen several chopped 55s, believe the trick is using a windshield out of a 55 passenger car. At least that's was coming out of that foggy area in my memory. Anyone else ever remember hearing that or actually do it?