Register now to get rid of these ads!

Yet another t-5 /v8 conversion thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by GameDemon, Jan 11, 2009.

1. GameDemon

GameDemon

im at the point im selling this trans for what i have in it and ill either wait till i find a new one or run a turbo 350 trans

2. Truckedup

Truckedup

You can get a Saginaw 3 speed for 50 bucks,it hold up ok if you don't board shift every gear all the time.Put it in and save your money for the trans you really need.I'm saying this cause I think all vehicles should have 3 pedals :D

3. Da Tinman

Da Tinman

Lookie here, ever heard the phrase about leading a horse to water, but you cant make him drink?
    All the info you need to complete this task is here on the HAMB.

As a matter of fact the links you need to research are already posted in this thread.

There is a virtual ocean of knowledge here, your job is to drink up as much of it as your mind can hold.

Sorry if I come off like an asshat, but why should we do all the research for you?

4. GameDemon

GameDemon

i totally understand tinman i have had the same reaction to stuff being asked all the time i was just trying to get all this info before i went and got the trans so if it wasnt right i didnt get screwed and it looks like it didnt help me anyway but i guess ill just keep researching and go from there.

5. GameDemon

GameDemon

so after doing a little research i found that the gearing i would like or somewhat close is listed below now if i can just find that gearing and stick it in this casing hmmm

<TABLE id=customTransInputTable cellSpacing=3 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=1><TBODY><TR><TD width=22>1st
    </TD><TD width=42><INPUT id=customRatio1Input maxLength=10 size=5 value=2.95 name=customRatio1Input>
    </TD><TD width=30>2nd
    </TD><TD width=40><INPUT id=customRatio2Input maxLength=10 size=5 value=1.94 name=customRatio2Input>
    </TD><TD width=26>3rd
    </TD><TD width=40><INPUT id=customRatio3Input maxLength=10 size=5 value=1.34 name=customRatio3Input>
    </TD><TD width=22>4th
    </TD><TD width=42><INPUT id=customRatio4Input maxLength=10 size=5 value=1.00 name=customRatio4Input>
    </TD><TD width=23>5th
    </TD><TD width=43><INPUT id=customRatio5Input maxLength=10 size=5 value=0.63 name=customRatio5Input>
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

6. Scott Danforth

Scott Danforth

dude, buy a V8 Camaro trans and build a hybrid as mentioned above. The front cases are same. or Buy aftermarket gears, or for the money buy a TKO and be done. As Da Tinman stated, check http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/search.php first

7. Snarl

Snarl

Considering the budget, and that you would need to buy 2 transmissions to do the hybrid, and probably still need to rebuild it, There is no reason why you can't run the Camaro as is. I have a hybrid in my '53 truck. There is enough room to run the shifter farther back and still be comfortable, IF you are using bucket seats.
    Since you are going with a V8 instead of a L6, you could even move the motor ahead a couple inches for even more room. You could also make a gooseneck shifter should you want even more clearance.

An '88 or newer V8 Camaro is going to be a WC unit and be the best bang for the budget. If you didn't have to worry about the cost, then a Tremec TKO 5spd would be the way to go.

8. Don B.

Don B.
    from IL

I was thinking of searching out a WC T5 and puttin' it behind a 318 (yea-Dodge)
    I originally bought an AX 15 out of a V6 Dakota, but am selling it this weekend, as it has a ~3.9X 1st, and too wide a spread between 1st and 2nd. I also have one of these trannys in a Jeep (OE stock) with a 4L straight 6 with 31's and a tallish 3.07 gear and 1st is useless, yet it "don't like" 2nd gear starts and 5th is useless too below 65. so I figgered that low 1st would not be happy with a ~27" tire and 3.55s in my project. so back to the drawing board; that Camaro WC sounds like it would be a better match. A while back they did a group buy on converting /6 bells to accept a T5.
    Not meant as a thread jack, but just goes to show you-- get what you want the 1st time, as it is no less work to change out the trans the 2nd time (and expense, bastard yoke, possibly, "conversion" U joints, with further driveshaft mods, maybe another "special" clutch disc, and rear tranny mount modifications--again) than it was to put something that you won't be happy with in, the 1st time around.

9. GameDemon

GameDemon

problem solved im gonna run the s10 t5 and change the ring and pinion gears in my rearend.. mainly because i have just found out the rear end is 5.18 not 4.11 so im gonna swap it to 3.08 and run the s10 trans Thanks for the input and sorry about not searching a little more before i asked the questions ....