Register now to get rid of these ads!

yet another shoebox spring thing

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mainline331, May 4, 2009.

1. mainline331

mainline331

Shoebox Ford: S10 vs. Aerostar springs.....

Hey I have seen the great info on the Aerostar springs, around a 3 inch drop, as described by FairlaneDave. Does anyone have any first hand experience using the s10 springs? In particular, how much drop did you get over stock? I currently have the typical Fatman spindles and am curious about the s10 springs, but wonder how much drop they would give (yes I realize that my stock springs are probably 1.5" or more sacked from the last 60 years of lovin')..... trying to decide between s10 and Aerostar... just don't want my ride too low so I don't get lost in the dinosaur tracks they call potholes in the roads of southern california.....
    Any idea would be much appreciated by me and the good folks at Rockauto.com, who will soon be supplying me with new springs.....

2. yblock292

yblock292

put a set of aerostar springs under the front of the 50 lowers it about 2 inchs rides great. $70 at oreillys

3. studeboy

studeboy

My 50 w/ inline 6 dropped about 1.5" with S10 3" drop coils (car has no fluids and no interior). I'm not sure if the spring rate is major difference. My car hasn't been driven since install so they haven't settled. The aerostar is probably where I will go as the S10 stuff will end up in my Stude PU.

Heres some tech for comparison:

Aerostar spring specs
    Diameter: 4.07in
    Wire Diameter: .735in (approx. depending on vendor)
    Free Height: 11.65in
    Load Height: 10in
    Price: $46.79

S-10 spring specs
    Diameter: 4.08in
    Wire Diameter: .75in (approx. depending on vendor, should be within .1in)
    Free Height: 13.25in (approx. depending on vendor, should be within .1in)
    Load Height: 10.75in
    Price: $46.79

All specs taken from RockAuto.com (88 Aerostar and 88 S10)

Last edited: May 6, 2009