Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects YARD ART ROADSTER (BUILD THREAD)

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Haven Hills Auto Club, Aug 9, 2021.

1. make it go and she can drive it to the florist

2. micshotrodgarage

micshotrodgarage
    from colorado

Can't beat free, Go for it!!

Haven Hills Auto Club likes this.
  3. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

W/a McCullough(sp?), that'd be slick. Fun, too.
    Marcus...

4. Jacksmith

Jacksmith
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Aridzona

I don't understand the question...

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  5. I was trying to gage the attitude toward letting the roadster rot next to the barn as yard art or building a cheap rusty roadster out of left over parts that could run at TROG. I will never restore this car. If this is someone's dream car, they are welcome to trade rust for rust. I'm currently sourcing a flathead six as a cheap worthless mill for a cheap worthless roadster. This is 100% fun. If there wasn't any interest it would already be in front of the barn, but a number of people wanted it saved, so I'm going to attempt to build a rusty roadster. NOT A RAT ROD. If you have interest in watching then great or have parts for sale to help the cheap build then DM me. Hope this clears things up for you.

6. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Clear as mud...
    Hope an old flatmotor appears, would like to see this assembled, (I've had 5 '27s, on my 6th and 7th now)

Hate waste. Ergo, hope you can plug this in (hate that expression!) to a Model A frame that's not rusty/broken and slide a nice Dago axle in under that front member.
    Kick the rear 4", use a 'T' rear spring.
    Stop me from all this hating! Please...

7. The V8 flatty is a bust. The 6 is a runner. I have no access to a cheap drop axle or T spring. I have left overs from my main build and a zero dollar budget. But that doesn't mean this won't be cool. Updates to follow soon.

8. Just want to put this out there. I've collected enough parts to start the build, but I have too many projects. I need to focus on the Haven Hills Roadster. If anyone out there wants a beat up old roadster I will sell. I should be getting the title in a couple weeks. The parts are as follows: rusty Model A frame with axles, rusty 26 Model T roadster body with doors, 254 Ford flathead six (110-115hp rated), 36' Ford top loader trans, 40' Ford style wheels, uncut 26-27 T windshield posts and lower windshield frame, BLC headlights, headlight mounts, 28-29 grille shell, and some other small parts. I have a 39' Mercury front axle assembly that can go with it. I'm $2,285 into it. Nothing is perfect and everything needs work. If your interested, PM me and we can talk. The price is firm and I won't ship. If no one wants this old roadster I will make this a winter project and possibly channel the body, bob, pinch, and Z the frame, and build a rusty flathead six roadster. I won't part anything out. It's the whole shebang or nothin!

Okie Pete, chryslerfan55 and brEad like this.
  9. The Yard Art Roadster is sleeping in the garage. Recently bought an aged steering wheel and a speedway rear T spring. Just hesitant to cut the frame to install the six. Holding out for a flathead 4 or v8. Maybe a Y-block or Plymouth 270. I have a 221 SBF stashed. Just haven't found the right mill.
    20220212_213731.jpg

10. Ok, hopefully someone can set me straight here. I have about 45 days to build this A/T roadster to make Relix Riot. I'm still learning, so I need help. I have a 1950 Ford 254 flathead six from an F2. I have a 1936 Ford top loader 3 speed. I have a 1934 Ford rear axle and torque tube assy or a Model A rear axle and torque tube assy. Will this combination of parts bolt together? Do I need to change the clutch disc or input shaft? Is the trans bolt pattern correct for the hogs head on the 254? I pick up the 254 on the 5th, so I'm trying to get a head start on parts planning. I don't care about speed or strength. I just need it to drive to the show.

11. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Either of those rears will bolt to that trans as long as you use a v8 style clam shell. Not sure on the motor to trans but I would think a quick Google or even a Google a 50’ flathead to top shift should get you close

12. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Seems
    Like a lot of the later flathead to earlier trans posts talk about using the truck bell housing from the later motor. I didn’t look very hard but I’m sure the infos out there I’m just out of time
    To look tonight

13. I see alot of people using T5 and C4 trans ot later top loaders. Not too many using the big six with a less desirable 36 trans. Kind of an oddball set up. I'm just trying to use discarded parts to make something cheap and fun. Thanks for the info. I do have a v8 clamshell.

14. Nailhead A-V8

Nailhead A-V8

45 days? :confused: model A frame = model A rear...the '34 axle is spring behind ...your shifter will be in the back seat but you'll have more torque, 5 more hp, and they're more reliable...nothing wrong w 48 case find double detent top with correct size shift arms or make a hook to keep in 2nd & double clutch... should be fun...there's a recent ITG episode about shortening TT ...clock rear juice b/ps forward to convert to hydraulic brakes...oh and hack firewall DO NOT move grille forward...let us know what you did...
    good luck

15. I was thinking about swaping the axles bells on the 34 unit putting the spring forward so I could move the body back a touch. Maybe the trans won't end up in the back seat. I don't mind double clutching. The 45 days is just because I haven't had the time to tinker. I watch every episode of ITG and I think I can get this done bare bones no thrills. Thanks!

16. SS327

SS327

I’ll tell you what I have an 8ab flathead I’ll give you for free if you come and pick it up. It does not turn but I don’t think it is from water. Been sitting a long time. Going to need distributor, carb, fuel pump and starter rebuilt or replaced and a water pump pulley. Has flywheel, clutch, and bell housing. FREE! Just come and get it! I’m in Knox Indiana.

17. As much as I appreciate the offer, I can't commit to the V8. It sounds cool, and I may even have some parts from a rusted Merc block in the barn. The six is a runner and hard to turn down. If the six turns into a nightmare, I will get in touch. I really appreciate you offering up an 8BA. Thanks SS327.

sko_ford and chryslerfan55 like this.
  18. SS327

SS327

No problem, just trying to help out. Glad you got it figured out. Just trying to do what I can to help out.

19. Run the six, with the style of what you are talking, it will be perfect.

20. Don't get me wrong. I would love to put a flathead v8 in her, but I would still need to find a new clutch set up, manifolds/headers, carb, radiator, and all the extra bits. The six is running and I have almost everything needed to slam a running car together. I'm in so deep with my other roadster that I just want to have some cheap fun with with this one. We will have to see how the cookie crumbles.

21. SS327

SS327

It has exhaust manifolds on it. :D

22. A roadster? As yard art? Are you nucking futs!?!?

23. She is really really rough. You could patch it with some new metal, and pack the million pin holes with mud, or just build it out of unwanted junk and have some fun with her. It's talking to me. She may be alive again soon.

brEad, chryslerfan55 and SS327 like this.
  24. 20220704_174453.jpg Turns out the six is not a 254. It is a 226. This might be better down the road if I want to add an aftermarket intake.

25. 20220705_185822.jpg With the chassis level and square the six fits great. Everything is lining up well. I'm using a set of AV8 engine mounts from Old Yankee Speed Co. I will build out the trans mount once I have the stance set.

26. Nailhead A-V8

Nailhead A-V8

Keep on rockin' HHAC! ...yeah In that case go for the '33 rear with flipped bells you'll also get stronger wishbones...the model A ones can't be used in split configuration...too weak

27. The engine mounts worked great! 12 inches from the front of the crossmember to the front of the engine mount bracket put the fan in the perfect spot. Even the thermostat housing lines up to the radiator! 20220706_204613.jpg 20220706_204624.jpg

28. Late last night I discovered the 36 trans was broken. I hate to spend big dollars on new internals, but I'm striking out finding another 36-38 trans. I'm going to hold out for a couple days for a miracle, but Macs may be my only option. Ending on a good note, I did split my bones and mock the front axle up. Still waiting on spacers, bungs, and shackles. 20220707_215812.jpg 20220707_215744.jpg

29. I started sorting out the rear spring today while I'm waiting on parts. I want the roadster to sit low so I bought a speedway T spring. It doesn't look wide enough. So I pieced together a hybrid spring of sorts. T main leafs with A uppers. I need to tweak one of the middle leafs and add one more for proper thickness. It should fit the crossmember better than a standard T spring and lower the chassis a bit. 20220708_220856.jpg

Last edited: Jul 8, 2022
  30. Parts are slowing progress, but most of what I need is in the mail. In the mean time I'm educating myself on how to rebuild the transmission per Van Pelt's guide book. I did manage to weld in the bungs from Millworks today. Only the third time using my welder, so the welds are functional, but not professional. Haha. 20220712_192041.jpg 20220712_192735.jpg