Register now to get rid of these ads!

Y-Block Vacuum port question...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by MrHavard, Jun 15, 2010.

1. Should the vacuum advance on a Y-Block be ported or manifold vacuum? This is for a 292 in a '60 F-100. I have a 1406 Edelbrock carb and I wanted to make sure I have the vacuum advance to the correct port... thanks!

2. BigChief

BigChief

By 1960 they had conventional dizzys. Ported vacuum goes to the advance. As always use a dial-back timing light and/or timing tape to check initial and total timing.

Check the links on this link for all the Y-block info your stomach can handle.

-Bigchief.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2010
  3. Thanks for the link, I'll give fordbarn a shot.

4. Rocket Scientist Chris

Rocket Scientist Chris
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The conventional (both vacuum and centrifical) advance distributors for the y-block were introduced in '57. As a side note, there was a Holley Roto-Vance distributor available that did the same thing. It was just a little more complicated. :( Anyway, the service manuals for '57 Fords, Mercurys and Thunderbirds show distributor vacuum coming from below the carburetor throttle plates. So, however your Edelbrock carburetor pulls a similar vacuum will work. :)

On my '55 Mercury, I'm running twin '56 Holley teapots with the distributor pulling vacuum from one of the rear ports. Again, vacuum source below the throttle plates. It's been running pretty nice! :D