Register now to get rid of these ads!

y-block t-5 question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ynottayblock, Jan 22, 2007.

1. ynottayblock

ynottayblock

hey guys,

got a quick question that i hope someone can answer.

who is running a y-block with a t-5 out there? if you are could you tell me which bellhousing you are using, passenger car or truck and why?

thanks in advance

brent

2. It depends on what you are doing with it. If the engine isn't in an original Y block powered chassis, it's probably just easiest to use the car bell; they're more common (though either is easy to find, really) and you don't have to fight the truck bell side mounts.

If the Y block IS in an original Y-powered chassis, then you would use the appropriate bell. I prefer to use a truck bell in a truck, because it essentially acts as a crossmember & strengthens the frame in three dimensions. When people swap in a car bell, or a later drivetrain, it takes a lot of support out of the truck frames, which are very (too) flexible anyway....and a lot of times they don't add much support back in to the truck. May not be a problem...or again, it may be.

Be aware that there are actually TWO truck bells; the LD/MD/OD bell, & the HD 3-speed/4-speed/5-speed bell. For the T-5, you need the LD/MD/OD bell.

A thread that might help ya, & a link:

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=140779

http://www.ford-y-block.com/truckt5.htm

3. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

Dont mean to hijack the thread but....

I just bought a 60 F250 292/4spd. Its got the granny low low. Would a T5 or T10 fit that bell pattern? I was of the thought that the heavy duty transmissions were of a wider pattern at the bell.

4. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

Wait I'm probably thinking of the HD 3spd/4spd/5spd bell that you mentioned arent I?

5. Yes. :)

It does have a significantly wider bolt pattern & larger bearing register, & unfortunately isn't of much use for swapping different transmissions.

Check out the thread & the link & it will give you a better idea of what to look for. It shows the car adapter, but down farther is the modified LD/MD/OD truck bell with the added upper bosses. You can kind of get a comparison to yours; the "big" bell has a much wider pattern with bigger bolts. Another link to a thread with a pic: http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=146956&page=2

The car & LD/MD/OD truck bell have the same pattern, but an adapter is used on the car because the car bell is shorter; the truck bell has the same input shaft length as the Mustang T-5, so it gets bosses welded in.

Here's another idea for you. This thread was actually about the Lincoln Y, but in its truck use it used the same HD 3-speeds, T-98 4-speeds, & Clark 5-speeds, so it has the same transmission pattern, bell depth, & bearing register hole. This is some stuff I added at the end....

"Now to the good stuff. According to him, a Saginaw 3-speed will bolt up to the truck bellhousing with some very minor hole drilling/enlarging. The truck throwout bearing will need to be sleeved to work with the Sag bearing retainer. The Sag 4-speed will also work. He says this is the easiest trans swap.

In questioning him on this swap, & doing a little research, I found that this is the Saginaw 3-speed made from '66-'80 (or later). It has the seven bolt side cover. This is a pretty decent trans, used in a lot of local/claimer stock car classes...you can get Hurst shifters, different ratios, rebuid kits, & so on. It is a huge improvement, shifting wise, over the HD 3-speed, T-98 4-speed, or Clark 5-speed (which is huge & has a parking brake on the output shaft...in case anyone has ideas. ) It is NOT the early Sag made from the mid '50s to '65 (cars) & '67-'68 (trucks), which is a pile of shit.

The Sag 4-speed isn't my choice, but it would hold up OK behind a mild to moderate Lincoln Y.

FWIW, these Sags should work behind the Ford Y-block HD bell too...though it would be easier just to use one of the other options for a Ford Y."

6. DirtyTace

DirtyTace