Register now to get rid of these ads!

Y Block Rocker Assembly

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by grovedawg, Jan 18, 2010.

1. grovedawg

grovedawg
    from Heber, UT

Ok. I searched through some old threads and couldn't find an answer. Rather than cut first and ask questions later I'll defer to the experts.

292 Y Block. The heads are C1TE's. If that helps.

How do you remove the support bracket without beating the S***T out of it? I looked through my manual (really a lot of nice details in that one.... I hope you read the sarcasm). I've got the codar pin, washer, spring washer, washer off. Now I want to remove the support bracket, and I'm drawing a blank. Is there a pin down the middle hole? a screw? Or do I screw it? Hey, that gives me and idea... I could take it out back for a little..... Nevermind.

Jalopy Heads please help.

2. grovedawg

grovedawg
    from Heber, UT

No takers huh? No worries. I got an answer from Charlie McCraney over on Y Blocks Forever. You just need to persuade it with a rubber mallet or a block of wood. Thanks again dudies. I do appreciate all of your help. Ryan

3. grovedawg

grovedawg
    from Heber, UT

I should stop posting on my own threads. I'm the only one looking at it anyway. But, if someone searches in the future, another Y Block Forever Forum member took me to this great video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7ZjObWyRJU

Enjoy Y blockers.

4. OK I will give you a Y Block tip.

If you are referring to removing the stands from the shaft which I think you are? Do this and the shaft will pull freely from the stand.

with the mounting bolts facing toward the sky upwards pinch the sides in the vice and the shaft will pull freely from the stand.

You will be amazed how eassy it is.

5. Did I detect a severe case of impatience in this thread?

6. grovedawg

grovedawg
    from Heber, UT

You did detect a SEVERE amount of impatience. ;) Actually it was excitement to keep moving forward. Sorry if you mis-read that Don. But, I did find some great help and advice over at Y Blocks Forever. Thanks for you're posts guys. Even if I'm impatient I do appreciate the help.

You were also right here. What I did as well that was super helpful, was place two posts in a vice. Lube the end post with WD40, and slide two screw-drivers/alls/whatever was cylindrical and would fit through the outside post's holes, and turn the screwdrivers while pulling out on the posts. Worked like a charm. Thanks again guys.

Signed, the impatient Dawg

7. Its cool, I used to be impatient. But I got old and realized it just doesn't matter anymore.

8. Mart

Mart

If you do a search on Youtube there is a guy on there stripping a Y-Block, including stripping and rebuilding the rockers.
    Mart.

9. Gando

Gando

Anybody who can't appreciate a Y-Block should have been riding with my Old friend Ross who passed away years ago. Back in the early 60's He would leave out of Concord enroute to the Carolina Coast in a 55 F-100, back then a 5+ hour trip on the old roads. He would let that 292 eat all she wanted maintaining around 90 mph. He would be fishing in salt water in under 4 hours and never killed that motor. Wish I could have bought it at his estate auction in 1990, still running strong.

10. grovedawg

grovedawg
    from Heber, UT

When she's all back together I look you up. My mom's out in Charlotte! We'll take her out and see if we can't break a tire or two loose! Ha ha!