Register now to get rid of these ads!

Y-Block Questions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jimmyv, Jun 23, 2008.

1. jimmyv

jimmyv

I have a early 60's 292 truck motor with a 3 deuce manifold. Right now it has the stock valley pan with front oil fill tube and a rear breather, also the stock valve covers. I want to get some finned aluminum valve covers and finned valley pan. All of the valley pans I have seen have no holes for fill tube or a breather. The valve covers are also all solid with only the 2 mounting holes. So what do you do for an oil filler and a breather or PCV valve? Drill the valley pan?

2. BigChief

BigChief

You will need to weld a tube/bung into the valley tray (after you mill a spot out for it) or do the same to a set of valve covers. I've also seen guys use the fuel pump boss and/or the road draft tube boss as a pick-up point for fill tube/PCV/breather provisions. I left my finned valley tray in its box and modified the factory valley tray to accept a PCV valve so I could axe the road draft tube. I still might modify my Offy valvecovers for breathers to keep air/vapor movement active through the rocker covers.

-Bigchief.

3. jimmyv

jimmyv

Yea I am thinking just keep the stock valley cover and go with some finned valve covers. What did you do to use a PCV valve in place of the draft tube?

4. BigChief

BigChief

I carefully drilled a hole in rear of the valley tray to accept a standard GM PCV grommet and then, of course, a PCV valve. I used a piece of small exhaust tubing with a couple of tabs welded to it as a baffle under the PCV valve. I extended the tubing to within 1/4 inch of the bottom of the lifter galley. As added insurance against sucking up a ton of oil I bought a PCV screen/insert for a '91 Crown Vic (on the 5.0 EFI cars it goes in the intake manifold under the PCV valve) and inserted it into the tubing (leaving enough room for the PCV valve to clear it) and crimped it into place. I then riveted my "PCV baffle assembly" to the bottom of the valley tray, installed the tray, the PCV valve and intake then plumbed the PCV valve in with hard line. I used a BBC fuel pump block off to close off both my fuel pump boss and my road draft tube openings.

Some later Ford valley trays came equipped with a PVC valve if you can find one.

-Bigchief.

5. M_S

M_S
    from SoCal

I would run the finned covers with the stock valley (I guess that's why I did).

The stock valley has a baffle built in for the road draft but there is a threaded mounting boss/tube in the center of the hole. A PCV and grommet will fit if you remove that boss/tube. I didn't want to cut anything on my car, so i built a 'riser for the PCV out of some tube and plastic fittings (you can see it at the back of the manifold in the first pic).

The breather tube is in a boss at the front of the block. An SBC chrome breather tube will fit right over the stock breather tube if you cut down the bottom of it on an angle. SBC breather fits over the top of that and holds it in place.

Mine still spits oil from the breather on the passenger valve cover so i am thinking of building a slip-in baffle for the tube.

A finned valley would get lost (imho) under the intake. I like the stock paint peeking out from under the intake.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  6. Sixcarb

Sixcarb
    from North NJ

Stock valleys look great chrome plated as well.

7. Can you post some more pics?