Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods XO/PP Bonneville project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by john mullen, Dec 28, 2017.

1. Great work day today with Lee Pollard and Dave the Shoe Russell. We finalized the preparations for the Dyno next week including a detailed cleaning and touch up.
    Its been a long year since the disastrous run at speed week 2020 and there has been much done in preparation for 2021.
    Really want to thank all those who had our backs with support of t shirt purchases or sending a donation or just a phone call asking how its going.
    A deep and gratfull Thank You to the crew members who have worked so hard over the last year getting the XO/PP 640 Virginia
    H.A.M.B. Special ready for the 2021 attempt on the salt.
    Special thanks to Doug Dwyer for the sponsors he
    Brought on board. Withought them this journey would not be possable.
    There are so many who have contributed to this journey it would take a day to list them. I hope you know who you are and know how much you are appreciated
    Also really want to thank my Wife and family for helping me relize a dream.
    So Thank You Everyone
    For sharing this amazing journey.
    John

Last edited: Jun 6, 2021
  2. For those about to rock, we salute you.

D-Russ, loudbang, Stogy and 2 others like this.
  3. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I thank you for taking me along for the virtual ride.

4. Our pleasure

loudbang likes this.
    Stogy, loudbang and saltflats like this.
  6. I want to take a moment to thank our support partner from Harrisonburg Va. For his generous Travel donation. Thank you Ted Tallent for all you do for Team 640. We wish you could come along with us but like many of our followers that can't go for whatever reason we will be posting daily once we head out for speed week 2021.
    Again Thank You Ted
    You are much appreciated my friend.
    John

7. Ok race fans the dyno pulls are on for tomorrow.
    We won't see big HP numbers because of high Temps with heavy water grains in the atmosphere.
    I'm mostly looking to see where the power band is and get the AF as close as we can under these conditions as well as looking at a couple pulls to see what more or less timing will produce. Hopefully a sound base tune to start from once we go west to the ( QUOTE ) Great White Dyno for a reality check. Lol

D-Russ, loudbang, Dino 64 and 2 others like this.
  8. While I'm at I want to recognize the crew of the XO/PP 640 for there sacrifices to see the project through. I'm getting old and have come to rely on them pretty heavily.
    I can't begin to express my gratitude for them and what they do.
    The best crew by far bar none.
    Thank you guys you are awesome friends.
    Also not forgetting all those who have supported the 640 along the way.
    This could be the year!
    Thank You All
    John

Last edited: Jun 11, 2021
    rpm56, Just Gary, D-Russ and 4 others like this.
  9. Look at the smile on this guy's face.. priceless.
    Love you man!

10. 20210612_202917.jpg Dyno results
    Read em and weep
    Holey moley I'm pumpt

11. Only a few weeks 'til speed week!

Last edited: Jun 12, 2021
    dirty old man and loudbang like this.
  12. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

:cool: Looks like a good start.

13. Jethro

Jethro
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Good numbers!!!!!!! Congrats!

14. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

15. SquintBoy

SquintBoy

Since you don't mind showing the max torque & hp, would you please show the graph of torque, hp & A/F vs rpm? I'm guessing you started your pulls way below your torque peak....maybe 2500 rpm and finished way above your hp peak...6500 rpm? 7000 rpm? Thanks! And once again good luck. Mark

Just Gary likes this.
  16. Stan Back

Stan Back
    from California

Was wind resistance factored into the 132 MPH?

Tman likes this.
  17. Ok guys here are the real numbers. Was having a little fun there.
    The pull was from 4600 to 6000 rpm this was the final pull after all the adjustments to AF and timing. There are videos on Facebook, Instagram,
    and u tube 20210613_130926.jpg

18. Just want to say this..
    The dyno test was not about numbers it was to correct the AF under load at full throttle as well as best timing, plug heat range, and a look at the power band.
    Knowing where the power band is will tell us where the shift point will be the best.
    As you know this test gives us a base line tune and will be much different at Bonneville.
    So having sead this this is not the tune for Bonneville but just base line data that will be used to find percentages using weather data once we are on the salt. So I hope everyone understands the purpose of the dyno..

19. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yep it’s a tool, one of many we can use. Good luck

D-Russ and loudbang like this.
  20. AmishMike

AmishMike

Been following your project last couple of years & love it. Almost build a modified around 300 6 but got ahold of big v8, great engine. Without going back over 37 pages what class do u run & what is the record?

loudbang likes this.
  21. XO/PP ..VINTAGE ENGINE
    PRODUCTION PICKUP
    131.5 something is the current record.

22. Got 6 new tires, brake drums, brakes, wheel Bearings and two new spair tires for the hauler. getting ready 6 weeks to launch

loudbang likes this.
  23. AmishMike

AmishMike

Another question: what diameter are the tires, rear gear ratio, & transmission gear ratios to get up to that needed/desired record speed? Pushing lots of air. Tks

loudbang likes this.
  24. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Everytime I been asked that question in 45 years of Land Speed Racing……I’ve lied. ……John may tell you but ….. you could always look in my trailer and see 4 sets of different diameter tires and at least 3 pumpkins unless I was using a quick change and then I had at least 10 sets of gears along with the tires.

I will relate this story which I know is true. A friends brother took his 1963 Impala to El Mirage for a meet in 1963. 327-300 HP 4-speed with 3.08 gears. Speed 110 mph in a mile and 3/10’s. Drove back to the pits. You could do that back then. Put in 4.11’s and went 110 mph.

25. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

Likewise I had a friend w/ an O/T 454 Suburban who got tired of the 8 MPG he was getting so he swapped in a 283 2V. He still got 8 MPG pushing the same brick.

Tman, dirty old man and loudbang like this.
  26. Jimmy six,
    Your right but I won't lie just won't tell lol.

27. We certainly have a large hole to punch in the air that's for sure.
    I think we have enough power to punch it just hope the tire to salt coefficient will hold enough power to get it done

28. AmishMike

AmishMike

Understand. And sure u have done the gear calculations. At least u have the room for a long run if salt in good shape. Wish Good luck to match your skills

D-Russ and loudbang like this.
  29. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Actually your right John. You see the tires so that was usually a given. Most assumed I ran a 9” but I alway had a Pontiac when not running a quick change. If someone asked if I was running a 3.00 I’d say yep. A 2.75, yep
    again. Pontiac never offered the same as a Ford so even if I told the truth they would question me. One thing about 9” today is if your willing to step up or know some NASCAR guys there are at least 10 different ratios between 3.00 and 2.75 that Ford never made. My best runs with my 40 coupe over 130 were with 3.25’s and 151 with 3.08’s. Wishing you the best and not bad luck this year with parts failure…JD

D-Russ, loudbang and Just Gary like this.
  30. Thanks JD could use some luck for sure..

loudbang and jimmy six like this.