Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods XO/PP Bonneville project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by john mullen, Dec 28, 2017.

1. Made the shifter handle today. Also finished wireing up the underhood and preped and installed the carbs 20210503_164807.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 3, 2021
  2. Sorry for the duplicate photos

loudbang likes this.
  3. The shifter looks good John. I was going to make it but you beat me to it.;)

chryslerfan55, loudbang and Stogy like this.
  4. I started another Flathead build today to sell for funding for the Bonniville truck. New .080 3 ring pistons, mercury 4" crank .010 R .010 mains new valve components, valves guides, Isky valve springs, Reconditioned rods, mercury heads, stock camshaft, stock intake milled deck and heads, .040 head to piston clearance. This engine will be ran and broken in
    Ready to go sale price
    $5000. Out the door.
    More photos as the machine work gets done
    20210505_141724.jpg

Stogy, sidevalve8ba, fegsta and 3 others like this.
  5. Finally got the new engine fired up today.
    Sealed up right away runs clean and is very responsive trying to get a video linked to this post

saltflats, Stogy, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  6. A little break in time and its off to the Dyno

7. Glad you’re getting back on track, so to speak, I hope the new engine does the job.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Stogy and loudbang like this.
  8. Its basically the same engine with some minor changes
    1 bigger bore
    2 better ring package
    3 new cylinder head
    With better port work
    Smaller combustion chambers, giving higher compression
    4 shorter header will change power band RPM
    And yes this will require dyno tuning to sort things out. But I think this combination will be a better one over-all...

9. Here's a little video:

Tman, 32Dan, Stogy and 3 others like this.
  10. "one small step for man... one giant leap for mankind!"
    It sounds great! Congratulations on this step, and good luck on the dyno tuning.

11. Thanks Dave...

loudbang and D-Russ like this.
  12. Another great work day today. Final prep for the dyno next week.
    We are almost ready for speed week 2021

13. Take us to the dyno shop with you!

SEAAIRE354, loudbang and Stogy like this.
  14. We had a great work day today on the 640 XO/PP Virginia HAMB Special. I finished up the clutch pedal stop and return spring and bent and routed tubing for the fire suppression system, @Scott_Rod rod worked on the O2 sensor wiring and a leak in the oil pressure gauge while @john mullen buttoned up some under hood wiring. Then we put a fresh coat of Rustoleum in the bed. After all that we wanted to test the clutch actuation for the first time and I’m happy to report that the truck moves forward and in reverse on its own power! Now we’re ready for the dyno next Saturday. Here’s a little video from today.

15. We will have video's of the dyno testing so standby next Saturday afternoon

Stogy, kevinrevin, loudbang and 4 others like this.
  16. The kestral..
    A complete weather station made just for the racer 20210526_153956.jpg

17. Dyno test posponed due to rain this weekend. We want hot and dry weather for the test

18. Ran the engine more today purposely letting it get up to 200 deg before i put the fan on. Its really loosining up and i readjusted the timing, tweeked the carb some more and adjusted the valves. Man this baby is responding well above my expectations.

19. Bummer, John. We're on the edge of our seats waiting for numbers here!

loudbang and chryslerfan55 like this.
  20. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

John will get the numbers when they cross the finish line. ;)

Stogy, loudbang, jimmy six and 2 others like this.
  21. Sorry guys i know how everyone is on board with this and i promise it will be done as soon as weather is better. I want the best conditions so we can find all the power this engine will make.
    The better the tune hear will relate to other places we may run such as Bonneville or Arkansas standing mile.
    Hang in there with us..

22. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The real dyno is white with limited traction at times and possible corrected elevation of 7 to 10,000 feet above sea level; not to be compared to pavement at sea level.
    The running on an engine, axle , or wheel dyno is just a tool. A very valuable one but a tool none the less. Waiting to hear also....

Stogy, HotRodWorks, saltflats and 3 others like this.
  24. I saw a post today from f book pertaining to the salt condition for this years speed week.
    So far there hasn't been much rain over the winter through late spring leaving the salt much like it was in 2020. The salt is very dry and hard. No better and no worse than it was last year at
    speed week
    A little late for rain to melt the salt and smooth it out.
    60 days before I leave for Wendover and the salt.
    Comming fast..

25. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Got to love that salt fever, good luck on your journey.

Stogy, dirty old man and loudbang like this.
  26. Changed out the oil today ready for the dyno I'm adding lots of ZDDP for the dyno pulls then change it again before Bonneville

27. I'm in need of a chevy 400 inch block needs to be able to bore to .030 over no more. Desperate
    Pm me if you have one for sale John

28. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Expand your Search to include a Dart SHP block. You will be better off in the long run. They are available starting with a 4” or 4.125” bore but are both the same.

Stogy, chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  29. This engine is for a restoration project and customer wants an OEM block. But I appreciate the info